“Shot Spotter” technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Shot Spotter” technology

So I just heard on the news Houston is installing technology called a “shot spotter”. Basically it’s an electronic ear the listens for gun fire and is able to pinpoint the exact location , type and caliber of weapon and mark it via GPS and dispatch law enforcement to the exact location. I don’t really know how I feel about that. I can see this being abused big time. Thoughts ?

San Antonio tried it a couple of years ago. I don't remember them ever catching a shooter from the data. We don't have that system anymore. Probably sold it to Houston.

Comment

Sounds a little like BS to me. Type and caliber ? I don’t believe that.

Comment

Found this. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mys...m-11817475.php

Comment

Smoke and Mirrors. They would have to have hundreds of antennas around town to get a cross section and corolate where the sound came from. Put it in NY and Chicago, if it works there without burning itself out then I would be impressed. Until now I call BS

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            San Antonio tried it a couple of years ago. I don't remember them ever catching a shooter from the data. We don't have that system anymore. Probably sold it to Houston.
            Yup, sounds like something right up ole HPD chief Art Acevedo’s alley! He’s brought that “progressive” crime stopping ability that has benefited him so well over his brilliant career at CHIP and Austin PD. 🙄🙄

Comment

First showed up in the Middle East around 05-06. They didn’t work for crap back then

Comment

Waste of money, Houston DA doesn't prosecute criminals anyway

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
                  First showed up in the Middle East around 05-06. They didn’t work for crap back then
                  installed them in omaha years ago,have not heard them arrest any one yet based on this,but cops will show up in ur hood.

Comment

Oakland, Ca. has had them for a decade. Brother in law is leo there. Chasing gunshots there would keep a guy busy.

Comment

Heard that on the news last night as well. Sounds like a waste of money that could be used on some pot holes instead.

Comment

Just a politicians way of laundering money for kickbacks/payoffs!!!

Comment

I don't know about type/caliber and exact location, but the idea of it detecting gunshots and flagging a general area seems plausible...

I agree with other as it being a waste of money for what it's likely to produce.

Out of curiosity, how do you see this being abused? Not being as *$$, I really can't think how it would be abused unless crap was really hitting the fan and at that point you probably want to be vacating Houston anyway.

Comment

Every once in a while we are notified around town that these were being installed, and the cops would be firing rounds ( most likely blanks) to test them. So if we heard guns shots that is most likely the reason. Now as far as them working, I have no clue. But would imagine on the forth of July and there a-bouts they most go nuts, unless they can just detect gun fire. Never hear any thing about them after that.

Comment

Austin has these in some areas as well. Not sure how well they work, but there are reports of gunshots occasionally and officers are dispatched to see what they can find.

Comment

Working...
                              X