Tank/Pond Design Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank/Pond Design Recommendation

I have a dozer operator lined up to create a ~1.5 acre tank on my property in Granger, TX in the next month or so.

Rather than having him just start digging, I was thinking it may be advantageous to have someone with more knowledge of creating the ideal fishery actually provide a design.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a tank designer?

If you have an idea on cost for the design, that would help as well.

There are folks in that area that do ponds for sure. I would suggest at the very least testing the soil to make certain that where you want it has the correct soil make up to hold water the way you expect it to at the depth you want. Maybe check with one of the feed stores to see if they know of folks?

Comment

Originally posted by TKRanch View Post
      There are folks in that area that do ponds for sure. I would suggest at the very least testing the soil to make certain that where you want it has the correct soil make up to hold water the way you expect it to at the depth you want. Maybe check with one of the feed stores to see if they know of folks?
      I have met with a representative from NRCS. There is an existing pond there that is not holding water. He is confident that we can get it to hold water with soil treatment.

What I am more concerned with is the best way to design the pond where it isn't just a regular circle and is most conducive to raising fish and being attractive.

Comment

I think SIPPY on here does that type stuff?

Comment

Add structure to the bottom ...ie. large rocks. If you want a fish pier/dock, do that before it fills.

Comment

Fisheries management is our main service. Give us a call at 877-370-5623, fill out a contact form at the website below, or pm me.

environmentalsolutions.com

Comment

The more shoreline the better. Our lake was an old gravel pit that had plenty of open water but had alot of connecting strips/canals dug out. It provided 10 times more shoreline than a round pond of the same size.

It was fun as hell to fish...you felt like every cast was gonna get you bit.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                The more shoreline the better. Our lake was an old gravel pit that had plenty of open water but had alot of connecting strips/canals dug out. It provided 10 times more shoreline than a round pond of the same size.

That sounds good for fishing, but I am wanting something more picturesque as it will be right below my house.

Comment

Upper shape to what is pretty looking, full pool to minus 3ft.

Depth as much as possible, so it takes longer to fill in with silt and reduces chance of grasses growing.
                  Few humps
                  Ledges
                  Concrete piles
                  Brush piles
                  Tires make good structure
                  Pallets make good structure
                  Gentle slope around perimeter for baitfish to breed, they constantly circle perimeter breeding along the way on structure.
                  On far end make enough shallows for baitfish, crawfish, frogs to hide.

Be prepared to put in dock frame before it fills.
                  Drain basin and pipe is better than spillway

Rest of a good fishery is harvesting lots of fish lbs every year

Comment

Still hate I never got around to fishing it!

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      Still hate I never got around to fishing it!
                      Me too bud.

The new owners are going to list it on Airbnb soon though so you still could have a shot. Heck I might rent it out just for the fishing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by aggieman12 View Post
                        That sounds good for fishing, but I am wanting something more picturesque as it will be right below my house.
                        Give strips a chance....[emoji6]

Comment

Give strips a chance....[emoji6]

I don't know how you sold that Steve. That place looked great.

Comment

Working...
                          X