Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Warranty Recommendations?

Anyone have a Company you have experience with that is "Decent?"

We had been with American Home Shield for several years but recently switched to AHW (Amazon owned) with terrible service on the 1st claim with Fridge problems. We still have had no contact from a tech after 48+ hours of filing the repair request.

Appreciate any recommendations based on your experiences. Oh, did a search and the OP's are not recent.

I think home warranty is a scam. Other than the 1 year I’ve had with each home I’ve bought I’ve never had a home warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

American Home Shield has been great for us! House built in 1930's.

In 20 years, have replaced:
      2 water heaters
      Stovetop
      Oven

And repaired:
      AC/Heat multiple times
      Plumbing leak plus rough in
      I think the sewer line under house

Respond quick and have sent knowledgeable and experienced workers.

If they didn't make money it wouldn't be a service. We figure we come out about even, but it eliminates that huge upfront cost of some work when surprised by an emergency.

Comment

Skip the home warranty and go with a company like PreFix (if they are in your market).

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
          I think home warranty is a scam. Other than the 1 year I’ve had with each home I’ve bought I’ve never had a home warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          x2

Comment

We have had American Home Shield since move in 12 years ago. They have easily paid out more than I have put in. All depends on the house and what's in it. The previous owner put in a very pricy 36" fridge. It needs something done every couple of years. I'm out a few hundred and according to the techs, the parts cost way more than that.

Comment

I’ve personally never had good experience using them for my personal home or rentals with both AHS & I can’t recall the other one. They don’t respond quick, can’t use just any service provider & you have to get approval of service before doing any service.
              I never renew them

Comment

American Home Shield is not recommended by me. It came with our home purchase... and I went without AC upstairs (my office area) for 6 weeks in the heat of the summer. In addition, we needed an oven repair and that took over 3 months with no progress. I finally told them to get lost and bought a new oven. I refused to renew when the year was up....it was not worth the headaches for me.

Maybe it is just my area (north of Houston) and the companies they hire to work repairs, but they were just horrible at doing what they claim to do.

And...their call center is in the Philippines with roosters in the mix on about every call ... drove me crazy. LOL

It you have FB....do a search on American Home Shield. It will make your mind up for you.

Comment

Take the amount of money you would have wasted on a home warranty and put it in a savings account.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                    Take the amount of money you would have wasted on a home warranty and put it in a savings account.
                    Exactly, build you a reserve for replacement account like commercial property.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                      Skip the home warranty and go with a company like PreFix (if they are in your market).
                      Seems like PreFix is $40 a month so $480 a year. I was considering getting a warranty with Choice Home Warranty, it looks to be about $510 a year. With PreFix costing $40 per hour for repairs and also being charged the price of items to replace I feel like PreFix would end up costing more.

What are the pros of PreFix over a home warranty?

Comment

My home warranty recommendation: don't do it.

Save your pennies and hire quality contractors that do work in a timely manner when things break. HW will almost always send the least qualified, slowest, undertrained, underpaid trades out to do the work. They are in the business of collecting premiums, not paying claims.

Comment

When I did residential AC work we worked for American Home Shield for a little while. They didn't want to replace equipment- just patch it. We decided that the only way to be profitable working for them was to up sale the home owner on other items and we refused to do that to our customer base so we stopped working for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
                            American Home Shield is not recommended by me. It came with our home purchase... and I went without AC upstairs (my office area) for 6 weeks in the heat of the summer. In addition, we needed an oven repair and that took over 3 months with no progress. I finally told them to get lost and bought a new oven. I refused to renew when the year was up....it was not worth the headaches for me.

Maybe it is just my area (north of Houston) and the companies they hire to work repairs, but they were just horrible at doing what they claim to do.

And...their call center is in the Philippines with roosters in the mix on about every call ... drove me crazy. LOL

It you have FB....do a search on American Home Shield. It will make your mind up for you.
                            Agree - I dropped American Homeshield the first time I tried to use them and got the run around. Called and kept getting transfered to overseas locations. I was so POed. Called "sales" and got a lady in Arizona. Poor lady got an earful that day.

I think a home warranty is valid depending on situations such as home age, cash flow, your skill level etc. Home warranty for my home in Pasadena was only about $650 a year with a pool. We were foster parents so the house had to be inspected to a different level. Found a leaking gas pipe (that wasn't even in use at the time). So a week into moving in 'Republic Home Warranty' paid for a new gas line. Later had a dishwasher go bad. No issues getting it replaced.
                            I don't have a home warranty now, but I live in a newer house, have better cash flow, and can fix most things that go wrong.

Comment

American Home Sheild are crooks

Comment

Working...
                              X