Brownwood/May Perennial Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brownwood/May Perennial Suggestions

We just had a lot of dozer work done and have a lot of exposed dirt. I know something will grow back there but with it exposed I am looking for a good native perennial that will help the deer. We just bought the place but there have been cows on it forever so that is what it has been managed for. There is a ton of grass and I'm assuming that is what will come back if left alone. That wouldn't be the end of the world, BUT I'm hoping if I can find a seed or seed mix that has a little clover or something in it that would help. I don't know the acreage but I'm guessing somewhere around 5-10 ac. Obviously Throw and Go would be best but there may be an opportunity to disc in or cover in some form with a drag. Looking for any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Texas Native Seeds in Junction I believe can help you out.

Comment

Your local county agent might could help you or suggest someone that can.

Comment

Bush sunflower, Engelmann daisy, Illinois bundleflower, and Maximilian Sunflower. Those are known as the big 4 perennial forbs and are high quality for deer. Just keep in mind native perennials take a long time to establish.

Comment

Talk to Turner seed out of Breckinridge. They are great to work with.

Comment

I would speak with your county extension agent about a native forb/grass mix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies. That gives me a direction to go.

Comment

Craig, this is what we plant after doing dirt work.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                  Bush sunflower, Engelmann daisy, Illinois bundleflower, and Maximilian Sunflower. Those are known as the big 4 perennial forbs and are high quality for deer. Just keep in mind native perennials take a long time to establish.
                  Ditto

Comment

Thanks. I'll look thru these. I guess another question is when would y'all put the seed out?

Comment

I forgot about Turner seed, glad someone else pointed you to it. I also did some dozer work and am contemplating the same thing. Thanks for the reminder, spring is coming soon.

Comment

You probably need to think about some sort of pre emergent weed killer too. I know when I do any dirt work at my place in Brownwood that when you disturb that seed bed ain’t no telling what’s gonna pop up

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                          Talk to Turner seed out of Breckinridge. They are great to work with.
                          For sure.

Comment

Quick question on Turner. It looks like they are about an hour north of us. Is Turner seed carried anywhere else thru a distributor? Maybe in Brownwood? It wouldn't be a huge deal to go up there but I'm guessing it would be 3 hours round trip which is a lot of work time.

Comment

We used the Texas Forb Mix and the Pollinator Mix from Turner Seed and they have all worked great! Our place is just west of Brady so it’s most likely similar soils and rainfall.

Comment

Working...
                              X