Who wants to talk Chronographs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in the market for one and would like to know what you guys have and why. I have been reading reviews on a lot of them and keep coming back to the Labradar and the Magnetospeed V3. Not sure I can justify the cost on the labradar for just load development, ( not going to be competition shooting ) and the magnetospeed is just as accurate for about half the price.

I am not set on either, just a little confused and would like to see what you guys have to say.

I have the labradar and really like it. Easy setup is worth the money. I don’t want to mess with skyscreens or have something hanging off the end of my barrel. Buy once cry once.

Comment

I use an old Pact Model 1 XP. I've had it for years and used it for load development. It's kinda a PITA to set up skyscreens and all, especially if your at a range and there's other people on the range. But, most of the time everyone is pretty understanding and I try and get it set up when folks need to go down range to set up a target or something.

If I get another one it will be a Magnetospeed.

Comment

Traded my magnetospeed v3 and cash for a labradar. The v3 hanging off the barrel affected harmonics and opened groups. Labradar is good unless you’re shooting at a range with baffles or a public range with that cover hanging low. Then it won’t read.

Comment

I’ve got a Magnetospeed V3. It works great, only downside is the effect on harmonics when shooting groups. Not a huge deal most of the time, and there are some Arca/Picatinny mounts to solve that. Super easy to setup also. I’ve considered a LabRadar, but haven’t really justified the added cost since the V3 does what I need it to. Everybody that has one, seem to love them though.
          Last edited by Raider4044; 03-18-2022, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            Traded my magnetospeed v3 and cash for a labradar. The v3 hanging off the barrel affected harmonics and opened groups. Labradar is good unless you’re shooting at a range with baffles or a public range with that cover hanging low. Then it won’t read.
            The harmonics seem to be a complaint I saw very often on the magnetospeed.

Comment

This one works for subsonic ammo below 1300 fps. Primarily for high powered air guns but will work for subsonic powder burners.
              This week on The Rimfire Report, we take a look at the FX Airguns Pocket Chronograph. It is a tiny chronograph that uses radar doppler just like the LabRadar. It can measure up to 1100 FPS so its perfect for subsonic rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                This one works for subsonic ammo below 1300 fps. Primarily for high powered air guns but will work for subsonic powder burners.
                https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...t-chronograph/
                Looks nice, but I am needing something that will record shots in the 4000fps range and down.

Comment

I'm not familiar with the ones mentioned but the Oehler 35P is an outstanding unit...

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond S View Post
                    Looks nice, but I am needing something that will record shots in the 4000fps range and down.
                    My old Crony beta model does that. I've loaded 40gr barnes TSX molys to 4200 out on my 22-250. Vaporizing P-dogs @ 400 yds when I could hit em It's a good one but PITA to set up and take down.

Comment

I'm still run-n a Chrony Beta Master.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                        I'm not familiar with the ones mentioned but the Oehler 35P is an outstanding unit...
                        Pretty interesting read on the 35P, I have never heard of them before, but then again I am pretty new to the chronograph game.

How much of a problem are the different lighting conditions? Bright sun light, heavy cloud cover, anything in between?

Comment

I've had mine going on 25 years now I guess...I thought they were out of biz but Blake informed me they were still cranking them out.

The sky screens help catch the projectile on these darker days & work well...the proof channel is really nice in catching errors. You get two speeds for every shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                            I've had mine going on 25 years now I guess...I thought they were out of biz but Blake informed me they were still cranking them out.

The sky screens help catch the projectile on these darker days & work well...the proof channel is really nice in catching errors. You get two speeds for every shot.
                            No doubt they are built to last, I am just worried about the sky screens. It seems all the others that use the screen have issues such as,

shoot a series today in bright sunlight, shoot the same series the next day when cloudy you get different readings. Not bashing at all, just saying what I have read in reviews of units that use sky screens.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                              I have the labradar and really like it. Easy setup is worth the money. I don’t want to mess with skyscreens or have something hanging off the end of my barrel. Buy once cry once.

Yep. Same here. Kinda hard to do good load development with a weight attached to your barrel/rifle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X