• Show
Clear All

mule footed ferral hog

Anyone seen or heard of this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, it happens.

Comment

Probably some hunter, in his/her infinite wisdom turned loose some mule footed hogs to improve the bloodlines.

Comment

Yes. We hunted a place around Llano in the mid 90’s and shot a couple.

Comment

particularly in wetter areas too, they seem to morph to the terrain

Comment

Certain breed of hog has this trait

Comment

Killed 2 last year. First I’d ever seen of it

Comment

I killed one a long time ago.. An old-timer told me it was a characteristic of inbreeding.. No idea if that has anything to do with it, just what the old fella told me..

Comment

The mulefoot hog was standardized as a breed about 1900. They are rare but there are still some breeders around.

Breed Facts Status: Critical Use: Lard/Back Fat, Meat Adult Weight: Male & Female - 400-600 lbs. Temperament: Docile, Active Experience Level: Beginner Notes: May be used for Charcuterie, Sausage/Ground, Roasts, Ham MULEFOOT The Mulefoot is an American hog breed named for its

Comment

That's pretty dang cool!

Comment

I have killed a few mule footed ones

Wonder if they are kosher since no split hoof?

Figured it was just a recessive gene that showed up ever so often, did not realize it was bred that way

Comment

So we….Conserve the mulefooted rare exotic kosher swine…?

Comment

I've never paid attention. Now I'll be checking every one from here on out.
                            Just one foot ?

Comment

We killed a huge mule-footed sow back in the late 1990s on my buddy's property along Catfish Creek near Gus Engeling WMA in Anderson County. Neighboring land owner helped us lift her with a front end loader, and was actually the person that pointed the hooves out to us. Said the mule -footed hogs were a pretty rare occurrence. Haven't seen any of them since then.

Comment

Working...
                              X