Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Petition to Kill Rifle Seasons in Grayson, Collin, Dallas and Rockwall - Please Sign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    This elitist attitude is what will be the downfall of hunting.

NOT EVERYBODY WANTS TO BOWHUNT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Not everybody has to bow hunt that is for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      MLD, antler restrictions, landowner restrictions are three that come to mind.

Yes, these.

Comment

Regulated hunting has never caused a county to wipe out a deer herd, and it won't in this case either. If you don't have habitat, you don't have many deer, and never will. Increasing deer numbers beyond habitat capabilities is never a good idea and regulated hunting can prevent this from happening. Animal numbers are regulated through bag limits, not means of take.

Safety is not a valid argument either, every other county in the state allows rifle hunting all the way up to city limits, around subdivisions, etc.

While the rifle hunting petition was originally brought up by a few high fence places, there are many others in the county that would like to be able to hunt deer with a rifle. That's why this issue comes up every few years. Its not just the fenced places. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it if I couldn't hunt my place with a rifle either. The fact that you can shoot anything else with a rifle is compelling.

The ONLY reason to not allow the change is age structure, period. And that is not something regulated by the state, it a personal management choice by the landowner and individual hunters. If rifle hunting is allowed, there won't be a mass deer die-off and there won't be hundreds of people killed in their yard by mistake. But, there will be many fewer deer allowed to reach a mature age class. This of course affects antler quality as well, but the deer herd will remain viable.

All of that said, I'd like to see it stay bow only as well. But, there is no solid justification for it to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
          What are the ways to limit the number of deer taken, other than restricting method of take as it sits now?

The law is already written, and it includes no other ways to restricting legal take. The way the law is written, anybody with a hunting license and access to ground can shoot their full allotment of tags. This will decimate the population of deer in these counties. The land is being overtaken by development at an ever increasing rate, and the already incredibly fragmented deer habitat is going away with those developments.

If there was a way to limit the number of deer killed in these counties and allow rifles at the same time, I'd be all for it.
          That’s not true at all. Not all counties allow for the same numbers of deer taken in a season. Just because someone has the tags on their license doesn’t mean they can use them if that county’s restrictions don’t allow it. I can only take one buck in Donley county but my license has more than one buck tag.

Comment

Let me get this straight. So if a person owns property in these counties. And doesn't want to bow hunt for deer. Then they can't deer hunt their own property.

Whatever happened to people defending private property rights?
            Why have laws at all or even bag limits, just do what you want, take what you want!

Comment

Like Harris, Fort Bend, Montgomery, etc?
              I think he was talking about habitat, take a drive through these 4 counites and 90% is fields with almost no trees. It's not like the Houston area with pines and thickets everywhere.

Comment

I just retired from TPWD. I may now speak freely, so let me provide everyone with some facts.

1. Everything TPWD does, including passing hunting regulations, is controlled by 9 people of the TPWD Commission, plus 2 "Chairman-Emeritus." Those 9 people are appointed by the governor.

2. TPWD field staff in the Wildlife Division are honest, hard-working, poorly paid, rarely appreciated, well educated individuals who usually love what they do. They are assigned the difficult task of managing the wild, public resources in a private land state. Their monitoring of habitats and wildlife populations formulate their hunting regulation proposals with the goal being to provide outdoor recreation while conserving the natural resources in Texas for current and future generations of Texans.

3. Given the Commission's authority, there are rare occasions when an individual, or small group, has heavy influence with, or connection to, the Commission or a Commission member, and that influence is used to steer the Commission's authority toward whatever that individual is seeking to obtain. When this happens, it is often done in a manner that appears to completely ignore any biological justifications or recommendations from TPWD field staff and leadership. A recent example is the experimental antler restriction on mule deer in Lynn County of the Panhandle.

4. Voting on hunting regulations is not an option. Voicing your opinion/position to the Commission is an option and it can influence decisions. The more voices heard in unison, the more influence it can have. The Commission will not turn a deaf-ear to a vast majority that is organized and most particularly, politically potent. For example, the exact same issue from 2012 and info on where you can attend the upcoming public hearing is at:

4. The development of Deer Management Units (DMU), over a decade ago, encircled similar, yet generalized, habitat types. Thus, the DMU serves as an area of land mass of unique habitat type and thereby potentially unique deer population. As an exaggerated example, compare the rolling plains to the hill country. Different soils, different plant communities, different deer populations, potentially different regulations needed. That's the concept of the DMU. Now, unfortunately, God did not lay out the habitat types in Texas along county lines. So, there has to be some imperfections, or overlap, into and/or out of county lines, because regulations are still set at the county level. Thus - the inclusion of counties that may not seem to make sense, depending on where you're standing in that county.

5. Alan Cain, TPWD's Whitetail Deer Program Leader, is a stand-up, top-notch son-of-a-gun! He is tasked with a never winning position that is constantly drawn-and-quartered between public users, trophy hunters, wealthy landowners, influential politicians, and the desire to do what's right for the habitat and the resource.

6. You want to have some say in what happens, archery or rifle? Then find out where and when your local public hearings will be held, organize some friends, and go make your voices heard. A reasonable and respectful voice carries more power than a smart-mouthed, shouting hot-head.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                  I just retired from TPWD. I may now speak freely, so let me provide everyone with some facts.

1. Everything TPWD does, including passing hunting regulations, is controlled by 9 people of the TPWD Commission, plus 2 "Chairman-Emeritus." Those 9 people are appointed by the governor.

2. TPWD field staff in the Wildlife Division are honest, hard-working, poorly paid, rarely appreciated, well educated individuals who usually love what they do. They are assigned the difficult task of managing the wild, public resources in a private land state. Their monitoring of habitats and wildlife populations formulate their hunting regulation proposals with the goal being to provide outdoor recreation while conserving the natural resources in Texas for current and future generations of Texans.

3. Given the Commission's authority, there are rare occasions when an individual, or small group, has heavy influence with, or connection to, the Commission or a Commission member, and that influence is used to steer the Commission's authority toward whatever that individual is seeking to obtain. When this happens, it is often done in a manner that appears to completely ignore any biological justifications or recommendations from TPWD field staff and leadership. A recent example is the experimental antler restriction on mule deer in Lynn County of the Panhandle.

4. Voting on hunting regulations is not an option. Voicing your opinion/position to the Commission is an option and it can influence decisions. The more voices heard in unison, the more influence it can have. The Commission will not turn a deaf-ear to a vast majority that is organized and most particularly, politically potent. For example, the exact same issue from 2012 and info on where you can attend the upcoming public hearing is at:

4. The development of Deer Management Units (DMU), over a decade ago, encircled similar, yet generalized, habitat types. Thus, the DMU serves as an area of land mass of unique habitat type and thereby potentially unique deer population. As an exaggerated example, compare the rolling plains to the hill country. Different soils, different plant communities, different deer populations, potentially different regulations needed. That's the concept of the DMU. Now, unfortunately, God did not lay out the habitat types in Texas along county lines. So, there has to be some imperfections, or overlap, into and/or out of county lines, because regulations are still set at the county level. Thus - the inclusion of counties that may not seem to make sense, depending on where you're standing in that county.

5. Alan Cain, TPWD's Whitetail Deer Program Leader, is a stand-up, top-notch son-of-a-gun! He is tasked with a never winning position that is constantly drawn-and-quartered between public users, trophy hunters, wealthy landowners, influential politicians, and the desire to do what's right for the habitat and the resource.

6. You want to have some say in what happens, archery or rifle? Then find out where and when your local public hearings will be held, organize some friends, and go make your voices heard. A reasonable and respectful voice carries more power than a smart-mouthed, shouting hot-head.
                  ^Well said sir.^

Comment

MLD, antler restrictions, landowner restrictions are three that come to mind.
                    antler restrictions are already in place. Landowner restrictions and MLD are voluntary and don't restrict anybody unless they choose for it to.

I just don't think these counties, for the most part, can support a gun season and still maintain a huntable population, without some other type of restriction from the state. Too many people will be hunting too few deer.

Comment

if the residents of a county can have an effect on hunting regulations in that county, then whats to stop any county from imposing restrictions on hunting methods and season dates. or to ban hunting and fishing all together .
                      also, if where and when did those counties get the authority to put the restrictions in place when others have not

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech1233 View Post
                        That’s not true at all. Not all counties allow for the same numbers of deer taken in a season. Just because someone has the tags on their license doesn’t mean they can use them if that county’s restrictions don’t allow it. I can only take one buck in Donley county but my license has more than one buck tag.
                        True. But even restricting take to one 13" buck and 1 spike with that many small properties will hurt the herd. If the law said no spikes may be taken it'd be better, but it doesn't. Luckily they did add in restricted seasons for doe, so that will help.

Also, I think a lot of people don't really understand how these counties are. Very few large properties, very small pockets of habitat, lots of developed land (more every day) and not tons of deer. This isn't like Harris, Travis or Bexar counties with tons of habitat. Anywhere without development in those counties is probably deer habitat. Not at all true in these 4 counties.

Comment

Here's a link to an article that has some great info, including how to voice your opinion and hear more about the proposed changes. Of particular interest is this:

Public Hearing:TPWD Wildlife Division staff will be presenting the proposed changes to white-tailed deer hunting regulations in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties on March 9, 2022, at 7pm CST at the Grayson College Center for Workplace Learning (CWL Auditorium, 6101 Grayson Drive, Denison, TX 75020). No other proposals on either the Statewide Hunting or Migratory Game Bird proclamations will be discussed at this public hearing.

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) is now taking public comment on the following proposed changes to the 2022-2023 Statewide Hunting and Migratory Game Bird proclamations: Allow the take of white-tailed deer by firearm in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, and Rockwall counties and modify other deer hunting seasons within those counties. Modify the definitions of “buck deer” and “antlerless deer.” Modify the proof of sex requirements for harvested buck deer. Create definitions for two types of [...]

Comment

If it really is a population issue, Maybe they should be fair to kids and old people just shorten the gun season?? I hunted my entire childhood in a 9 day gun season in Oklahoma. Maybe do three shorter seasons. Bow, muzzle, rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You totally or intentionally missed the point. If you can bowhunt a property why can't you gun hunt.

I'm not upset at all bowhunters get to start a month early. I hunt archery season every year. I'm not scared of competition. Evidently a lot of people are. Otherwise we wouldn't need "special" seasons.
                              That is similar to the question of why is prostitution illegal? I mean why is it totally legal to have as much sex as you want for free but not if you charge for it?

Comment

Petition to Kill Rifle Seasons in Grayson, Collin, Dallas and Rockwall - Please Sign

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                                if the residents of a county can have an effect on hunting regulations in that county, then whats to stop any county from imposing restrictions on hunting methods and season dates. or to ban hunting and fishing all together .
                                also, if where and when did those counties get the authority to put the restrictions in place when others have not

Because hunting methods fall under the purview of the TPWD. Residents
                                of a county can only have a potential effect by making their voices heard, but only if the TPWD makes the change.

Comment

Working...
                                X