Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Give me elk hunt outfitter/state recommendations !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
    Not to be a Debbie downer but that's a super tall order to fill. If you do find one please let me know. I have been doing a little research on this exact thing and what I'm finding is to get all those things you have listed your going to spend at least double what you are shooting for. The areas that have almost guaranteed odds of a good bull elk with no preference points your going to need an outfitter tag which is big money. There are a couple places in Idaho that have guaranteed tag with 100% kill rate the past few years with rifle for a 300+" bull but they start at $10K and go up to $14K.

I know kills aren’t guaranteed. And OTC tags are more pressured areas.

But I’ve found 20+ outfitters online for Colorado elk hunts that include lodging/meals/horses, and 2-1 guide. All for $5000-$6000 per hunter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes hunts are out there for his budget but many will be booked for a years out at those prices or if not I would sure call some references, successful and not.

Comment

Originally posted by afishinman14 View Post
        You’ve gone out with these guys before?

Yes. Awesome guides, camp, food.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

TTT

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
            Yes. Awesome guides, camp, food.

Did you kill a bull? How many in camp and how many killed?

Comment

I know kills aren’t guaranteed. And OTC tags are more pressured areas.

But I’ve found 20+ outfitters online for Colorado elk hunts that include lodging/meals/horses, and 2-1 guide. All for $5000-$6000 per hunter

You are gonna be close to a grand on license/tag fees in most states as well. Elk hunting seems to get expensive in a hurry. I have a couple friends that did budget outfitter OTC hunts in Colorado. They saw way more people than elk.

Comment

I wouldnt pay $20 to hunt public land with a guide in Colorado

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                  I wouldnt pay $20 to hunt public land with a guide in Colorado

Can you elaborate on this? What would your choice be instead?

Just trying to hear some good advice and experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                    You are gonna be close to a grand on license/tag fees in most states as well. Elk hunting seems to get expensive in a hurry. I have a couple friends that did budget outfitter OTC hunts in Colorado. They saw way more people than elk.

Yeah I’m looking at $5k and up just for the outfitter. I know the license/tag fee and am not including that in my estimate

Comment

Can you elaborate on this? What would your choice be instead?

Just trying to hear some good advice and experiences.

Go diy for $1200..VERY few places in Colorado that you cant hike into.. This means it doesnt matter your on horses.. Your gonna have people on top of you.. Those drop camp outfitters hunt the same areas every year no matter the pressure and In my opinion it just isnt worth it..

New Mexico I wouldnt hesitate to hunt public with a outfitter on a LO tag or even through the draw..

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        Did you kill a bull? How many in camp and how many killed?
                        I shot a bull the first day evening hunt. We did not recover the bull. I was pretty much devastated. The guide offered me to shoot a cow which was very generous. I told him I didn't want it to interfere with my hunting partners hunt. The next evening I ended up killing a cow and my buddy killed a bull within 100 yards of each other. 6 hunters in camp. My buddy killed a bull, I did not recover my bull, but killed a cow. A girl in camp hit a 6x6 but did not recover. All six of us had shot opportunities. It's all spectacular place to hunt. Look thru their Facebook page. I killed my cow at this lake called Langhoff pond. The second pic is the view from camp. The sloping mountain is Bear Mountain.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                          I shot a bull the first day evening hunt. We did not recover the bull. I was pretty much devastated. The guide offered me to shoot a cow which was very generous. I told him I didn't want it to interfere with my hunting partners hunt. The next evening I ended up killing a cow and my buddy killed a bull within 100 yards of each other. 6 hunters in camp. My buddy killed a bull, I did not recover my bull, but killed a cow. A girl in camp hit a 6x6 but did not recover. All six of us had shot opportunities. It's all spectacular place to hunt. Look thru their Facebook page. I killed my cow at this lake called Langhoff pond. The second pic is the view from camp. The sloping mountain is Bear Mountain.

They have raised the number of hunters in camp to 10-12 at a time. There’s been a significant decrease in animal quality.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                            Go diy for $1200..VERY few places in Colorado that you cant hike into.. This means it doesnt matter your on horses.. Your gonna have people on top of you.. Those drop camp outfitters hunt the same areas every year no matter the pressure and In my opinion it just isnt worth it..

New Mexico I wouldnt hesitate to hunt public with a outfitter on a LO tag or even through the draw..

Good to know. I’m trying my best to get my dad on a bull ASAP. He’s getting older. Can’t really handle 3-4 years of DIY to learn the terrain and get him a bull. Willing to spend some money to get her done year 1.

Just not $15k a man…

Comment

The public land pack hunts are really more about the experience. If you want to kill an elk find an outfitter with private land. If your dad is anything like mine his days of sitting on a horse in the rain are passed. QRS outdoors has some acreage in northwest Colorado with good numbers but nothing real big. If I was trying to get my dad a Colorado elk that would be my first call.

Comment

Originally posted by Eat’em Up View Post
                                The public land pack hunts are really more about the experience. If you want to kill an elk find an outfitter with private land. If your dad is anything like mine his days of sitting on a horse in the rain are passed. QRS outdoors has some acreage in northwest Colorado with good numbers but nothing real big. If I was trying to get my dad a Colorado elk that would be my first call.

Thanks for the word. I’ll check em out [emoji106]

Comment

Working...
                                X