So you won the lottery...now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you won the lottery...now what?

I was sitting around a fire a few days back and the conversation started. I'm not talking about hitting the $350+ Million Powerball here. I'm talking more like $10 Million state lottery.

What would you legitimately do from the start? Everyone says a new truck or house...think deeper.

Pay off your bills?
    What about your closest families bills? Parents? Kids? Closest friends?
    Land? Recreational and/or Commercial?
    would you invest?
    Donate to a cause?

I always said id love to own around 300-400 acres. A place just for me, my dad, and my brothers to hunt. Id like to buy somewhere in the Harper/Fredericksburg/Cherry Springs area (where I'm from). Would also fence off 5 acres and build a house for my best friends little family (my god children). They live in that area and have struggled though the years so id like to provide them with some stability.

Would be awesome to see this dream realized for someone from this community one day!

oh, don't forget to buy your tickets for tomorrow!
    Last edited by Abu_dude; 12-21-2021, 11:41 AM.

1. Consult my lawyer
    2. Consult with my financial advisor

After those two things are done then I would look at land in Texas and out.

Comment

After Taxes you will receive somewhere around 6 million. I would pay off all my bills and invest the rest.

Comment

10 mil - taxes
        500 acres Fredericksburg
        House
        Dang near back to where you were before you won

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Keep my mouth shut around family and most friends.
          I’d have a fully restored 1972 Blazer, and probably 150acres

Comment

I'd take half and spend it on booze and partying and just blow the rest

Comment

Set myself up with a off grid place in the middle of the Bitteroots and leave society for good.

Comment

i would likely look for a couple hundred acres, other than that i would not change much. Pretty happy with where I am, but i would like to have some land

Comment

Buy land and lots of it

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                    Don't lie.....you'd get a new yellow corvette

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      Buy land and lots of it
                      Yep

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        Buy land and lots of it
                        yes. probably a handful of places in different states.

home base would be in N texas somewhere, shackleford county sounds good
                        a nice whitetail farm in the midwest
                        a mule deer property out west
                        a duck place in arkansas

Comment

That's easy. I'd buy an airboat and 5 gallons of premium gasoline and a brand new Zippo lighter. And I'd burn that noisy, mist blowing contraption to the ground. Oh and someplace to hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                            Campaign money?

Comment

I think it would be hard, but I’d like to raise my boys as best I could as we are now and keep it to myself until the right time. Money can really mess up a young person.
                              Finding that balance of sharing some great experiences and raising good people who can parlay opportunity into more opportunity would be my new job. My first roommate in college came from a cattle family that had previously owned and developed a lot of land in what became a very popular ski town in Colorado. His dad was a well known surgeon and he was basically taking finger-painting classes at a mediocre state college. My greatest fear would be seeing one of my boys not be able to make their own way as a result of my doings.

Comment

Working...
                              X