How much would you tip for...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much would you tip for...

How much would you tip a guide who on a hunt picks you up at the cabin and drops you off to the blind. He picks you back up and drops you back off at camp after each sit. He also helped load the deer. But you clean it your self. Oh and Happy Thanksgibing to everyone!

He's not a guide....he's an Uber.

I'm a good tipper, but I also set expectations and explain when they're not met. I'd ask the outfitter that you're paying for the hunt what they think the Uber driver should be tipped. Explain what you'd usually tip a real guide but also make clear that's not what this guy is. Too many people in the service industry, and that's what guided hunts are, don't understand the purpose of tipping. It's for meeting and/or exceeding my expectations....not for showing up.
    Last edited by curtintex; 11-27-2019, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post

I'm a good tipper, but I also set expectations and explain when they're not met. I'd ask the outfitter that you're paying for the hunt what they think the Uber driver should be tipped. Explain what you'd usually tip a real guide but also make clear that's not what this guy is. Too many people in the service industry, and that's what guided hunts are, don't understand the purpose of tipping. It's for meeting and/or exceeding my expectations....not for showing up.

Perfect. I could not have stated it better (well, I probably could have but I wouldn’t want to upstage a TBH favorite[emoji6]).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well put Curt

Gary

Comment

Whew. Thanks Curt. That was exactly how I felt. Just did not feel it was worth the 15% to 20% of the cost of the hunt.

Comment

what ever you tip uber or a taxi

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post

Right on the the money! Perfect answer!

Comment

Probably no more than $5 per dropoff / pickup..........if that!!

Comment

If you’re staying in a cabin and hunting from a blind, what else can you expect from a “guide” ? Maybe help with the field dressing, but .......To me that’s an outfitted hunt, not a guided hunt. Let your conscience be your guide.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    If you’re staying in a cabin and hunting from a blind, what else can you expect from a “guide” ? Maybe help with the field dressing, but .......To me that’s an outfitted hunt, not a guided hunt. Let your conscience be your guide.
                    If his conscience is his guide....well, that's the only guide he had on this trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Cody903 View Post
                      How much would you tip a guide who on a hunt picks you up at the cabin and drops you off to the blind. He picks you back up and drops you back off at camp after each sit. He also helped load the deer. But you clean it your self. Oh and Happy Thanksgibing to everyone!
                      Too many questions to give an answer.

Did he give you good advice? Did he accurately explain the hunting?
                      Is transportation to/from blinds included in the hunt?
                      Was it a self-guided hunt?
                      Does he not clean deer, or did you chose the option to clean yourself?

Was this guide responsible for other things like having your lodging clean and prepared? Is he the one feeding deer all year, setting up stands, clearing shooting lanes, putting chairs in blinds, (plus a million other ranch duties)?

Did he offer to really guide you?

Comment

Did you expect him to sit with you and point at the deer you were allowed to shoot?

If not it sounds like he did what he was supposed to do, get you to and from a box blind.

Tip whatever feels right but consider the type of hunt you were on, doesn't sound like much "guiding" was needed.

Comment

What is the purpose of a "guide" while hunting in Texas really? You go sit in a stand with a set of criteria for what you can/cannot shoot for the price you paid. I guess a "guide" can keep you company if you are the type person that needs such things.

Comment

10 dolla

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Willicd76 View Post
                              What is the purpose of a "guide" while hunting in Texas really? You go sit in a stand with a set of criteria for what you can/cannot shoot for the price you paid. I guess a "guide" can keep you company if you are the type person that needs such things.
                              Someone who knows the ranch should be a great deal of help. They should be able to tell hunters all sorts of things that work/don't work, where the type deer they're after should be etc.

You guys can sure over simplify things. Keep in mind it's a ranch the hunter has never been on.

Comment

Working...
                              X