hunting green heron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hunting green heron

Got this one from a trip to the golf course. Focus is a bit off but this green heron was hunting hard. Also got some pics of him with the fish in his mouth. Any hints guys at how to get sharp pics when action is really fast? I tried to focus on the spot where I thought the bird was going to enter the water and I guess I was a bit off. I imagine this type of shot takes a lot of shot opportunities for one to actually come out like I want. Thanks for input.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0065_edited-2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	24762461

Nice Pic

Comment

First, you need to use a fast shutter speed (minimum 1/1000th of a second) and then, if your camera has continuous focus ability you will want to focus on the bird in flight and follow him down all the way to the water while shooting at the fastest frames per second you camera will allow.
      I don't know what kind of camera and lens you are using so it is hard to get more specific than that. If you can tell us some more detail about the setup you are using we could probably give you some more detail.
      Panning birds in flight and catching action like this takes a lot of practice and even the best at it only get a small percentage of useable shots. Keep at it though as this kind of action photography is a lot of fun.

Comment

Cool pic

Comment

Wyobull, thanks. I've got Canon 50D with 100-400 IS lens. The bird was stalking and from the point it was stalking to entering the water was probably only 3 feet distance. That's why I was trying to focus on where he might enter the water. It really is only a fraction of a second to catch the action.

I took it at 1/500 of a sec exposure. The late afternoon light was fading and I had it set to 400 ISO. Probably should have changed it to 1000 ISO then I could have achieved the 1/1000 exposure.
          Thanks for your help.
          D

Comment

Working...
          X