Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do you Teach your friends to Quarter a Deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do you Teach your friends to Quarter a Deer?

This is something I’ve been thinking about for awhile, I’ve never been good at this… I’ve always had trouble asking for help but I figure the green screen is the best for providing advice. I know there’s YouTube but what are some things that a buddy or your father told you that really helped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carry hemostats and ring the **** cavity first. I was taught by a couple of surgeons on how to take apart a deer with 1.5 inch blades and your fingers. I keep 7ish stupid sharp blades in my pack and change them as needed.
    Had a video selling guy want to make a video of me breaking down a deer 35 years back.........

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
      Carry hemostats and ring the **** cavity first. I was taught by a couple of surgeons on how to take apart a deer with 1.5 inch blades and your fingers. I keep 7ish stupid sharp blades in my pack and change them as needed.
      Had a video selling guy want to make a video of me breaking down a deer 35 years back.........
      I don’t get it. What are you clamping off? Intestines? Arteriales?

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post

Probably uses it to grab and hold the hole while he goes around with a knife

Comment

Originally posted by Dmcgee View Post

Wow. Very creative.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
            The colon I would assume .
            I've always done it that way, but never used hemos.
            Quartering a deer is pretty self explanatory...
            What problems exactly are you having?

Comment

East Texans can gut and quarter a deer on the ground in 7 1/2 minutes, 6 if a warden has been spotted…….

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post

Me, personally? None.

It’s not much different than drawing and quartering my husband when he steps out of line.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post

That’s fair…. I’d say it’s more hesitation on getting it done quickly and putting quarters on ice.

I never had somebody walk me through it so I went the YouTube route and was wondering if there was something that could help me get a deer taken care of in under an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmcgee View Post

This is correct. Disconect the tube from the body I use a 4" knife and the hemostats allow for very precice cuts - - And I don't want poop on my fingers. Ooh yuck............

Comment

Originally posted by TexanDuke View Post
                      That’s fair…. I’d say it’s more hesitation on getting it done quickly and putting quarters on ice.

I never had somebody walk me through it so I went the YouTube route and was wondering if there was something that could help me get a deer taken care of in under an hour.

There definitely is.
                      It's about a 10min job, especially if Milwaukee is involved .
                      I would say hook up with someone(tbh'er possibly), and just watch some one do it.
                      You are talking about quartering a animal on the ground, or hanging on a rack?

Comment

My recommendation - Go gutless

Don't ask me to be fast though. I'm too OCD.

Shoot some pigs this summer for practice. Mind the fleas and ticks though.

Comment

Go gutless, same amount of meat without the mess of internals. Same amount of meat if you’re crafty with the tenderloin.
                          ALWAYS cut with the hair and never against it, hair sticks to the mean really bad and can give your meat a bad flavor if soaked/bled with it on there.
                          Get a pair of loppers or sawsall for any joints, **** that I’m cool surgeon dude and can cut joints crap.
                          Hang by the back feet and cut throat shortly upon death so most blood drains toward the neck and can get out the body or atleast to the grinder meat instead of more desirable cuts.
                          Gloves are amazing even if you’re a manly man. Cuts down on cleanup, smell, and safety. You don’t want what the deers got and vice versus.
                          Have one “fine work blade” and one “utility blade” when skinning/quartering. Use only one for the precise work and getting cuts started, NEVER hit bone with this knife. Use the other for the big work and anything close to bone. it will dull your knives in one or two strokes against those. Thats all i got but ill add to if i can think

Comment

I killed a doe at T4 Exotics last year. Hung her up and got after it. Dean, the owner, came out to help me armed with a carpet cutter and I was impressed.

Surgical gloves are nice.

Gutless method fo show. Then ease your way into the paunch for the tenders.

The next doe I kill, I’m going to try the golf ball skinning trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                              East Texans can gut and quarter a deer on the ground in 7 1/2 minutes, 6 if a warden has been spotted…….

Them must be rookies 😂

Comment

Working...
                              X