Full time RV'ing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full time RV'ing

Well, we got the news last night that the house we were under contract to purchase came in extremely low on the appraisal, and the sellers aren't willing to negotiate, so we're having to pull our offer. Our house that we currently own went under contract last week and if all goes through, we have to be out by July 1st.

Our immediate plan is to take our RV and find the nicest RV park we can find in Collin County and live there while we figure out what we want to do. It will be me, the wife, our sons (13 and 7) and 3 dogs. Who knows, maybe we will enjoy it so much that we don't see a need to buy for awhile. We're not opposed to buying a piece of property and parking there to build on in the future, but in the little amount of time I've spent looking at land, it's as hard if not harder to find than rural homesteads with a house already on them. The wife is on board, and recognizes that our "worst-case" scenario is we're cramped for awhile, but we're debt free and have a stack of cash sitting in the bank. So, if anyone has any leads on RV parks, land, full time rv'ing, or general life hacks not mentioned on the life-hack thread, Im all ears

No Advice but good luck with your situation.

Comment

being debt free makes the possibilities almost limitless!! sounds like an adventure, good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard S. View Post
        No Advice but good luck with your situation.
        Thanks! If the wife wasnt so on board, I would be much more worried. Granted, she can and probably will change her tune, but it's a start.

Originally posted by Rick View Post
        being debt free makes the possibilities almost limitless!! sounds like an adventure, good luck!!
        Thanks! What she's trying to convince me to do is take off for a year and do this: http://www.thegreatestroadtrip.com/

Comment

Originally posted by oneisnone View Post
          Thanks! If the wife wasnt so on board, I would be much more worried. Granted, she can and probably will change her tune, but it's a start.

Thanks! What she's trying to convince me to do is take off for a year and do this: http://www.thegreatestroadtrip.com/
          Man if your work situation would allow it that would be awesome

Comment

My mother and step dad stayed at Shady Creek RV Park in Prosper this summer and enjoyed it. Good luck on search. You have more patience than I do with 2 kids and 3 dogs in a tight space but being debt free with cash is a good place to be!

Comment

If you both don't need your job and can travel for a bit.. do that..

Comment

RV parks aren't cheap anymore if near DFW. wife...2 kids ...and 3 dogs....in a camper...

Comment

I'm living in my travel trailer right now as I go through a divorce. Have 3 kids and a dog with me 50% of the time.

It's not bad but takes getting used to. I'm a virtual worker so I'm working and living in mine. I don't recommend work and living in one. Get out and go somewhere otherwise it will seem even smaller inside.

I am moving to an apartment on June 8th because there is no way I can work from here with the kids 50% of the time over the summer.

BTW I'm not sure what prices are in your area, but in Austin area it's 500-1000/month + electricity just for a monthly spot. The spot I'm in is 650/month.
                  Last edited by BigL; 05-18-2021, 09:22 AM.

Comment

We lived in ours for 3 months waiting on our house just wife and i with one dog. It was not bad we lived at the Marina at Eagle Mountain Lake so it was nice to goof off at the lake. I would start looking cause most nice RV places are months out and have waiting lists. Let's go RVING have fun.

Comment

My wife and I are living in out 45 ft camper as we are waiting to get started on our house.

Comment

We lived in ours for 9 months while we were building our house. We were fortunate enough to already have our property and shop so we pulled it inside the shop while staying in it.

It was just the wife and I for 7 months. We stayed so busy working on the house that really all we did was sleep and do work
                        planning inside the camper.

I will tell you that RV showers and toilets are NO FUN after about a month. We built a full bathroom inside the shop so we didn’t have to endure that for the entire time. We also had washer/dryer hookups in the shop. To keep from going stir crazy when we weren’t working on the house we just stayed outside or hung out inside the shop if the weather was bad.

Our son came back from school for the last 2 months and it would have been less than favorable had we not had the bathroom in the shop to use.

I personally could not imagine living in a camper full time with 2 kids and 3 dogs plus us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I had a buddy in almost the exact situation. After 6 months in a camper with the kids, he bought a house he didn’t want just to get out of the camper.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                            Man if your work situation would allow it that would be awesome
                            It won't.

Comment

Stayed in mine for a month while we were waiting on our house to be finished. Wife, 2 kids and 2 dogs. Man that thing got small after about a week with 1 bathroom/shower...

Comment

Working...
                              X