Catalpa Worms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catalpa Worms

Is there anything you can do to get them back on your trees? Have 5 good sized trees on the property pretty close together and we used to get thousands of them every year when I was little. Haven’t seen a worm in 20yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
    Is there anything you can do to get them back on your trees? Have 5 good sized trees on the property pretty close together and we used to get thousands of them every year when I was little. Haven’t seen a worm in 20yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your gonna have to get some more and put them on the trees. Hope and pray the birds dont eat them all before they the back in the ground. We had some a few years in row after putting them on the trees my grandpa had when I was little. We couldn't keep the birds from eating them plum up.

Comment

Yep, go gather worms up and put on tree and if you are lucky some will make it to the moth stage and then you will be in business

Or you can try and find one of those moths and make a cage around end of a limb to keep her in, had an old friend that did this a few times

Comment

Good fish bait!!

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
          Your gonna have to get some more and put them on the trees. Hope and pray the birds dont eat them all before they the back in the ground. We had some a few years in row after putting them on the trees my grandpa had when I was little. We couldn't keep the birds from eating them plum up.
          So how do new trees that grow up, and have never had worms, get worms?
          Just happenstance?
          So many trees, so many yrs, eventually they find it?
          I'll duck duck it.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
            Just happenstance?
            I'll duck duck it.
            One worm gets tired of paying the taxes that the other worms running that tree are charging so he leaves and finds his own tree

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
              Just happenstance?
              I'll duck duck it.
              I wish I knew lol. All I know is ours never had any until we put some on it. We had a crop every year for about 4 straight years but they were getting decimated by the birds. Haven't seen a worm since for over 20 years.

Comment

I have three trees on some prop I bought a while back but no worms. The worms were in abundance growing up and mercy they were good bait. Quant ideaswhere you can purchase them?

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
                  One worm gets tired of paying the taxes that the other worms running that tree are charging so he leaves and finds his own tree
                  That's my kinda worm

Comment

Theres a guy in la.that sells them on cragslist

Comment

Read this :You have to put sand around the tree. The worms crawl down the tree and bury themselves. If the ground is to hard they will not come back....Makes some sense..

Comment

In addition, don't use pesticide around the tree, you will kill the worms in the ground.

Comment

catfish love them

Comment

Originally posted by tminc View Post
                            Theres a guy in la.that sells them on cragslist
                            I believe there is someone in Texas that sells them also, just not sure where. Think somewhere in south east Tx. I have been told this guy sells the pupae with soil in 5 gallon bucks. The bucket is to be placed at base of a tree. Was told this is the best way to get them started, but I have no experience with this so cannot say for sure.

Comment

Check out you tube how to reestablish catalpa worms.

Comment

Working...
                              X