Factory Strings or Aftermarket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Factory Strings or Aftermarket?

I have a Quest Primal that I bought new in 2009. It has been shot a lot and it is time for new strings. I happen to have a new set of factory strings identical to what came on the bow. Are these good strings or is it worth it to upgrade now?

I'm apt to just use the free factory strings since the originals lasted so long but the technology is also a decade old. How much resighting, tuning etc will it take once I put new strings on whether factory or aftermarket?

School me please

Do you know the material specs for the factory strings? If you have a good shop install them, factory or not, you should have very little if any adjustments at all. As long as your bow is set up correctly now. A good tech will put everything back in the same place or better.

Comment

the bow is paper tuned and shooting lights out now. I guess my main concern is whether the factory strings will be unstreched and have a different point of impact for all my pins. I don't know if this is a valid concern or not.

I don't know anything about the factory strings as far as specs go

Comment

Prime uses 452X for their factory strings, or that is what they use now anyway; I'm not sure if that is what they have always used.

452X is very good material and is what all others are measured by, although there are some very promising materials out now, like Fury.

As far as custom strings go, about the only thing better would be to get the strings in whatever color combination that suites your fancy.

If you have been happy with the original strings I think you will be happy with the new factory strings.

IF proper measurements are taken from the old strings before they are moved, like peep to arrow height (at full draw), cam positions (at brace and full draw), draw length, A2A, tiller, etc. it is pretty easy to get everything back to the way it needs to be. However, you MAY still need to tune a little; it seems nothing ever goes back exactly the same.

Comment

Ill be having it done at West Houston Archery. I think they are probably a good shop to have that done. Thanks for the info

Comment

2009 to 2017 on same strings?...awesome longevity. Go with what works. I prolly wont put anything but Darton strings on my Darton.

Not all bow techs are created equal. Watch them as theyre doing it but know how its supposed to be done before you take it in.

Good luck.

Comment

anytime i've replaced a string the builder was able to get it back to my exact specs. . . . I'd do aftermarket.

the materials are better then stock strings

Comment

Bowstring depot is the only brand I replace with.. Great strings, great customer service..

Comment

I called the shop. They're using Vapor Trail strings. They pretty good?

Comment

Every time I've had new strings and cable put on my bows my pins are not exactly right but with some very minor adjustments, usually up or down they are good. With yours being 8 years old, I would assume even if everything is put back the same you will still have to adjust your pins a little.

Comment

Working...
                    X