Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How accurate is an AK at 300 yds for hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been thinking about getting another AR for hunting purposes but I also really like the AK platform. I dont care about accuracy at 500 + yds but wondering how accurate an AK would be at 200-300 yds if you are hog hunting, deer hunting etc.

I do like the customization of the AR platform a lot though. Hard to decide.

Rick

Let me also say I have been considering an AR in 7.62 but I really like both platforms and I am having trouble deciding.

Rick

Comment

AK is made to just put rounds down range. Not sure at 300 but I’ve shot off a bench at 100 with several and your lucky to get 3 inch group. This was with decent optics and bagged out

Comment

IMO there is no comparing the accuracy of the two platforms.

For hunting and accuracy go with the AR

Comment

7.62x39 or 7.62x51 AR?

Comment

I am planning to get an AK 7,62x39 down the line from Zastava with a side lock mount and a Primary Arms scope.

It will be a battle rifle and I want to make human chest size hits at 300 yards.

Mostly I expect most shots will be taken at 100 yards or less when hunting as I will use it for bushpigs in the corn that’s general up close and personal.
            Last edited by Gerhard; 07-02-2020, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Get the AR-15 7.62 x 39. If you decide you want a different caliber you can just buy another upper.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerhard View Post
                I am planning to get an AK 7,62x39 down the line from Zastava with a side lock mount and a Primary Arms scope.

It will be a battle rifle and I want to make chest size hits at 300 yards.

Mostly I expect most shots will be taken at 100 yards or less

AK will be plenty fine for that. If you buy a quality gun you get quality results. Ive seen Rifle Dynamics SBR AK's shoot 1moa at 100 with middle of the road bulk ammo

Comment

Originally posted by Gerhard View Post

It will be a battle rifle and I want to make human chest size hits at 300 yards.

Mostly I expect most shots will be taken at 100 yards or less when hunting as I will use it for bushpigs in the corn that’s general up close and personal.
                  I do not blame you Gerhard. I just looked up Dullstroom SA. It appears you live in what was formerly known as Rhodesia. Am I correct?
                  Will an AK be enough? I am thinking something belt-fed and a BIG dog

OP...the accurate version of the AK platform is the Dragunov. It also is in a 7.62 caliber, but by 54(7.62x54R) and it is a rimmed cartridge with a lot of punch.
                  The AK is a reliable go bang weapon with a good mid range cartridge. If you want MOA groups from the 7.62x39. Go to a bolt gun.

Comment

Check out Military Arms Channel on youtube. The guy recently did a comparison of AK/AR accuracy test and basically concluded that AR's have better accuracy due to the free floating barrel but the difference was a couple of inches. Ultimately it boils down to preference.

Comment

You can absolutely be very accurate with an AR10 @ 300 yards if that is your end goal. In the AR10 platform aside from the .308, you can always do a 6.5 CM or .260 Remington which are great rounds at distance, especially 500 yards+. From a hunting standpoint, i like the 7.62x51/.308 more than the 7.62x39 just from a ballistics perspective. No real comparison for me.

7.62x39 (.295 BC G1) will be similar to the 6.5 Grendel in size BUT the 6.5 Grendel (.510 BC G1)will be way way way superior for ballistics and distance.

Lol so all that said, I would 100% go with an AR platform over the AK.

Comment

Sounds like the CMMG MK47 is exactly what you should be looking for. AR platform that takes AK mags and shoots 7.62x39 would be a great pig/deer gun.

Comment

Are you planning on shooting around a corner? If so, the AK is your rifle. As mentioned, its about rounds down range or close combat. I've got a AR pistol and rifle in 7.62 x 39 and both shoot great to 50/100 yards. After that the party is over.

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnTA3lqcYds"]YouTube[/ame]

Pretty good video comparing the AK and AR platforms, both firing 7.62x39. The AR is intrinsically more accurate because of the way it's built.

Comment

Some Comparisons. 6.8 SPC is a cool round you might also consider.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X