My Personal Best Whitetail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Personal Best Whitetail!

I got lucky yesterday this buck slipped up and came in for only the 3rd time in daylight ever! I have to give credit to my Spypoint texting camera here as it allowed me to slip in when he wasn't there.

This buck has been 99.9 percent nocturnal all summer and has shown he was very shy anytime he sensed pressure. If I went to fill the protein feeder he would not show for 2-3 days. If a truck drove by he wouldn't show for 2-3 days.

He was feeding at night at a free choice protein feeder between 12:00 am and 6:00 am. Twice he slipped up and stayed 5-10 minutes after daylight. I debated shutting off the protein and putting up one of my rice bran feeders to force him to come in the daylight. I decided to not change anything and filled the protein feeder 4 weeks ago to give him time to settle back in and stayed out of there.

Now how do I get him to come in daylight. After studying thousand of pictures and noting the time he arrived and left..I noticed a pattern. There was another deer a mature 8 point that I only had 2 pictures out of thousands of the two of them together. Whenever one was there and the other showed the other would leave. Ok - so these two DO NOT like each other. Maybe I can use that to my advantage.

Here is where the luck comes in.

Saturday morning I got up and checked the trail cam pics. Sure enough my buck was neck deep in the protein feeder. Which meant he would be there till just before daylight and I would blow him out walking in. I went back to bed.

Saturday afternoon I had a great sit and saw lots of deer - just not the buck I was after or the big 8. Sunday morning he showed up @ 12:05 AM...Great so he is going to feed all night which means he will be there when I walk in Sunday morning unless the big 8 comes in an blows him out.

That is exactly what happened. I got up Sunday morning and checked the trail cam and the big 8 had come in @ 3:00 and was parked at the protein feeder..which meant my buck got cut short of his feeding all night. Maybe he will still be hungry.

I had my buddy drop me off and corn the Sendero close to hide any noise while I got settled in. My deer seldom ate corn but just in case keep the corn close.

At 6:45 am I had 15 deer on the corn on the road but no sign of my buck. At 6:50 a buck materialized at the protein feeder @ 12 yards - but it is still to dark to make out with the naked eye. Pull up the binocs and it's him!

I have not got that excited in a long time! Now I just pray he will stay for daylight. It was 7:00 straight up when I had enough camera light and came to full draw. I hesitated for about 10 seconds and the corn feeder went off blowing him out of the feed pen and I watched him disappear into the brush full speed ahead. CRAP - I blew it! I had a shot, but I hesitated making sure I had enough light to film!!! You idiot he was at 12 yards - I could have closed my eyes and made that shot. But video is great for reviewing your shot and I did not want to leave anything to chance.

About the time my pitty party started to abate I look up and bam he is back at the protein feeder. I never heard the unmistakable da dum sound of a deer jumping in the pen. I couldn't help but think...man for a big fella your very light on your feet.

I hit record on the camera and came to full draw as he circled to another protein tube. He paused and my arrow found it's mark.

He exploded out of the feed pen and ran directly behind the tower blind. I waited an hour before taking up the track. I found my arrow right outside the feed pen with about 15" of blood on the shaft and the broadhead broken off.

I thought from the shot placement I had hit the offside elbow and either stuck in it or broke it as he was swinging it oddly when he left.

Five steps into the brush and the blood starting pouring out both sides and the brush was painted red from about 4 foot high to the ground. He made it 40 yards..first deer I have ever walked up on and first thought was your A LOT BIGGER than I thought you were.

I LOVE GRIM REAPERS and Krivoman Blinds!

He taped out at 177 4/8 which make him my biggest to date!
    37" mass!
    Forked G2 and 6 burrs off his bases over an inch and a 5" drop!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_Arrow.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	25226847

Name:	LDP.jpg
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	25226848

Name:	20201005_195456.jpg
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	25226855

Name:	LDP1.jpg
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	25226849

Name:	Scale.jpg
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	25226850

Name:	Burrs.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	25226851

Extremely nice!

Comment

Incredible buck! Congratulations!

Comment

Dude! That’s awesome.

Comment

Great buck! Congrats

Comment

Beautiful deer. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Freaking sweet...congrats

Comment

Man that’s a pretty buck!Congrats

Comment

Congratulations

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome buck!

Congrats

Comment

Nice buck, congrats

Comment

Great buck, congrats.

Comment

Monster! Congrats

Comment

Congrats! Hell of a buck. When I saw the title and who posted it, I knew it was going to be a good one.

Comment

That's awesome....congrats Bruce!

Comment

Working...
                              X