Giving false info to GW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
    I think it primarily stems from the tactic of LEO building a case backwards by using deception to get people to violate their own rights via intimidation. Is that all officers? Absolutely not but folks do get sick and tired of being profiled due to whatever preconceived notion the officer carries into said interactions.
    There is that word again, "Profiling". I think its the stupidest term ever used. We should really just call it what it is. A person in any profession, using his or hers on the job experience, to better accomplish their task.

If I'm a carpenter and my job is to hammer in nails, and I come across a screw, my job experience tells me I'm going to need a different tool to accomplish this task. Did I Profile the screw? Dam sure did, if that's what you want to call it.

GW stops me in my old Jon boat assuming I don't have all my water safety equipment. He assumes that because, most people he stops in boats like that don't have everything they are suppose to. His job experience has taught him that. Is he suppose to turn a blind eye to it because profiling is the new buzz word?

Try keeping your nose clean and your duck in a row. When LEO or GW pull you over, try to make their job as easy as possible and thank them for their service.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
      There is that word again, "Profiling". I think its the stupidest term ever used. We should really just call it what it is. A person in any profession, using his or hers on the job experience, to better accomplish their task.

If I'm a carpenter and my job is to hammer in nails, and I come across a screw, my job experience tells me I'm going to need a different tool to accomplish this task. Did I Profile the screw? Dam sure did, if that's what you want to call it.

GW stops me in my old Jon boat assuming I don't have all my water safety equipment. He assumes that because, most people he stops in boats like that don't have everything they are suppose to. His job experience has taught him that. Is he suppose to turn a blind eye to it because profiling is the new buzz word?

Try keeping your nose clean and your duck in a row. When LEO or GW pull you over, try to make their job as easy as possible and thank them for their service.

That's exactly what I've done and my interactions have been quick and easy. That being said I've also been pinned to the hood of a cruiser with a gun held to my face. I was never given justification for the contact where my life was threatened but hey must have been my fault due to the officers prior experience, mind you this was before the days of body cams. Yes LEOs have an immensely difficult job but they still work for us. They're not infallible just like myself and you. My latest contact with the GW was quick painless and completely courteous this past opening day. I like how you insinuate if I keep my nose clean and ducks in a row things would go better, as though my opinion and prior experience makes me a bad guy. Sorry about the derailment I'm out of here.
      Last edited by arrowsmack324; 10-14-2020, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post

Yes, the term profiling has almost become like a criminal act by an officer.

I think what used to be called a suspicious looking person is now thrown under the heading of profiling.

I have been fortunate enough in my career on several occasions to catch people almost immediately after they committed a serious crime. On each of those cases I saw some thing they caught my attention. On a few of them I have gotten people’s property back and some of the suspects went to prison.

I suppose that people could say I was profiling. I thought it was just stopping suspicious looking people.

Comment

Originally posted by txchuck View Post
          What kind of trouble can you get into for giving false info to a Game Warden?
          I have warned an associate not to do this regardless or consequences.
          Back to the OP…..

It depends on what the false information is and why it was given. It could be a crime or it could be nothing. There are plenty of “what ifs” that we could come up with.

If you want to go strictly by court rulings, being caught in a lie can justify a continued detention longer than what ordinarily be justified. I have seen a few of the, don’t talk to the police videos as I’m sure many people have. On one of the ones that I watched a lawyer explained, if you decide to talk to the police whatever you do, do not lie. The lie could be a criminal act and at the very least will justify a long detention to find out why you lied. That was from a criminal defense attorney, not from a police officer. He said the best was do not talk but if you do decide to talk, which most people do, either tell the truth or shut up.

Comment

That's exactly what I've done and my interactions have been quick and easy. That being said I've also been pinned to the hood of a cruiser with a gun held to my face. I was never given justification for the contact where my life was threatened but hey must have been my fault due to the officers prior experience, mind you this was before the days on body cams. My latest contact with the GW was quick painless and completely courteous this past opening day.
            I've been approached with guns drawn.

Officer was actively looking for a shooting suspect. I gave him no reason to think I was the suspect, other than I had the same kind of truck. I guess he should have left his gun in the holster until he confirmed if I was going to try to shot him or not.

Scared the hell out of me. All I could think about was not going home to my wife and kids that night.

Hmmm........ bet he might have been thinking the same thing.

LEO are just men like we are. Same flaws and fears as the rest of us. They've stepped up to a life of service, and for that, I'll ALWAYS give them my support.

Comment

I have always had nice GW's but not so much on Highway patrols. seems like about 50% of the ones I have encountered had a chip on their shoulder or something up their arse.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                The thing is I wasn't hunting. I know my neighbors and they knew I was there working. They didn't assert otherwise. They didn't call in to report anything to the GW. Dude just picked a gate and sat there for a while to see if someone came out and assumed anyone there on opening day of rifle season must be hunting. Then he fabricated a story and vehemently asserted he knew I was hunting. He knew nothing. It is a problem for all of us if law enforcement officers start off with lies and assert fabrications are fact.

I generally leave my license on a table and don't take it into town when I am going to buy corn. I don't hunt corn--I buy it. I know old men who live on their places that haven't bought a license in decades as they don't hunt. GW would have likely asserted the same to them coming off their places--after all, it was opening weekend! Kind of like the questions of "can I have guns in camp during archery season?" threads. Can I go to my ranch during hunting season without a hunting license if I don't hunt? Guy may have believed a blue haired grandmother, but he was willing to maintain his assertions about me hunting when he knew he was lying about the major premise that he knew I was hunting.
                I wasn’t pointing fingers at you. I’d have likely handled it the same way.

Comment

Wow...is all I can say to this thread...SMH.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                    Id be careful when dealing with any GW. Consequences are severe.

I wouldn’t volunteer any information either.
                    X2 on the above.

Been in more than one situation where I was guilty until proven innocent. Or the GW stopped our boat and decided to run down what felt like a 15 point check list looking for a violation. My cousin and I were fed the riot act one time for having expired flares! Was accused of shooting doves after legal shooting light one time...GW's evidence was he was sitting almost a 1/2 mile away and "heard" some shots. We weren't even hunting, but rather fishing at the tank on the property. He gave us a warning because we had a shot gun in the truck when he stopped us at the gate. He knew this because we answered honestly when he asked if we had a firearm.

I treat GW's with respect, however, based on what I've personally witnessed, I'm not going to volunteer extra information.

There used to be a great GW citation thread on this website a few years ago. I can't remember the details exactly, but I believe it involved a couple members that had a roadside issue after a hunting trip. A DPS officer stopped to check on things, which lead to a call to a local GW and an eventual citation. The TBH members were open, honest, forthcoming during the entire event. To me, that story only further solidified my views. I will show GW's respect, but I will try to avoid them if possible and I'm not going to volunteer information.

Comment

If at all possible, answer any questions that you "want" to answer with one-word answers... Yes/No... This is especially true if it is a Federal GW... Never met one of those yet that was not a genuine jerk. Our state GW that we had an excellent relationship with when we hunted the Moody ranch on the Rio Grande even told us I can't help you with the Feds... When they show up, they're there for one purpose and one purpose only, to write tickets, period. We ran a squeaky clean camp for 31 years there and always had a good relationship with the TPWD guys... Even when we had an "Issue" with them, when it was all settled and over with, the Regional manager came out to our camp and personally apologized for putting us through such a deal and they confirmed that everything went down exactly like we had told them it did... this involved the international border and protected animals...

Comment

Not a big fan of TPWD rabbit rangers, even less of a fan of USFW, typically big ego and **** poor investigative skills. Only major run-in I've had was on a duck/goose lease in West Texas several years ago. Everyone on the lease was either an LEO, ADA, DA and a district judge from the next county. This guy shows up, ranting and raving about trespassing, poaching shooting after dark etc. The judge casually filmed all this. Unfortunately for the GW, we didn't have any shotguns on us as we were scouting for the next day. The landowner made a smart *** comment about exactly how we were trespassing. Of course the GW didn't appreciate that, but just kept digging a hole for himself.

We all wrote memos to Austin HQS and initially they didn't want to do a **** thing with the guy, typical. After the judge released the video to the local news media, and a few LEO'S were interviewed, Austin HQS changed their mind as they realized their GW could very easily be charged with perjury based on his false reporting of the situation. No reason to be a ****** bag, especially with the DA and ADA who will possibly prosecute your misdemeanor cases.

Like in everything, some good some bad LEO, but when you go into a situation with the belief everyone is guilty, it usually doesn't end well. Treat everyone with courtesy and respect and it's usually returned. If not, have a tactical plan and skill set to address the problem. I don't think TPWD addresses that in the academy. Most problems in LE come from big egos and the inability to back up their mouths with performance.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                          I wasn’t pointing fingers at you. I’d have likely handled it the same way.
                          I followed. Wasn't a rebuttal to what you stated--just an addition to it.

Comment

i have had two run in with a GW: one back in 2001 when i was on a lease in Graham. we went out the Friday after Thanksgiving. i had bough a used Kawasaki Mule that had been painted camo. my BIL hauled it out there on Wed. They left on Saturday to come home. we left sunday. stopped in Mineral Wells to get diesel. GW pulled up and started talking to us. asked where we hunted anf if we had shot anything. told him where an no hadnt shot anything. he ask where did the turkey feather come from that was in the cab of the mule. told him my nephew liked to pick them up out there, we were covered in turkeys. then he asked where i got my mule. told him i bought it from individual. he asked for title, all i had was bill of sale. there was no serial number on it. he went to looking for it. couldnt find it. called in local police to bring in the acid to try to recover the number. guy tried but couldnt make it out...told the gw that he could take care of it. GW told him "na, ive met my quote, ill hang out here". tow hours later i had to drop my mule off at the local pd. he said the reason he stopped was because it was camo. inside cab was red. i told him i would have painted it myself if it wasnt already done. got it back the following feb after having to pay to get a new number for it.

second time i had taken my oldest(13 at the time)hunting for youth weekend at home(hunted like 4mi from house on county road). she was learning to drive and wanted t drive. i let her. we pulled out of the gate and headed home. we were coming out of the bottom when headlights appeared. i told when we get to top of the hill, pull over so they could pass. she did and lights came on. GW walks up and introduces himself and asked what we were doing. i told him we had been hunting for youth weekend. he asked how old she was. i replied 13. he laughed and said why is she driving? i said she was learning and wanted to drive. he asked if weapon was loaded, i said no s he walked around asked me to pull the bolt back. he said step to the back of jeep. he asked to see our license. i showed him mine and went and got hers. he said "look, i am not not gonna say anything about her driving, heck, thats how i learned to drive. just have her slide over". we talked a little bit, gave me his card and told me ifi ever needed anything to let him know. before he left he went and told my daughter good luck and hoped she killed a bigger deer than her daddy.

we were going to try to shoot some pigs at night the next year after the evening hunts. i texted him and told him where we were and let him know. he thanked me for letting him know and how he appreciated it.

Comment

With all hopes that OP will step forward and lay the deetz out in this thread vanishing, I will say this. As hunters/fisherman/sportsman that follow the rules, we champion the GW. He is the good guy on our side protecting our resources from those that feel rules are for suckers. So when we finally have that in the field “face to face”, the fantasy of the friendly GW gets a bit tarnished the deeper the “investigations” go. It just seems that not only is this manner of “policing” antiquated and unproductive, it leads to poor relationships... when in fact the legal hunter/GW relationship IS the answer. Don’t get me wrong, these guys have an impossible job... being State Police they find themselves serving a broad brush... just last Friday afternoon the Polk County GW somehow found himself blocking traffic on FM62 in front of a jackknifed logging truck. Not exactly what I would envision to be a GW function (especially when there were multiple DPS vehicles on scene), but there he was. The point is they get to do all kinds of stuff and it leaves very little time for that casual camp visit or other goodwill/rapport building excercises that would lead to real game law violations.

I said it before and I will say it again... be courteous, know your rights and understand that if approached in the field, he ain’t asking questions cause he is your new friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                                Wow. you must be stuck living in a 70s cheesy movie set. I've been in law enforcement for almost 30 years and known thousands of law enforcement officers and that's never been a favorite saying or a common saying of anyone I knew. But I have heard lots of people that have made bad life decisions quote that quite often .

since so many people on here like to paint with the broad brush I guess I'll just start doing the same.
                                It's pretty amazing, isn't it? I've had good encounters with LEO, and one or two that were less than good. And the less than good were the few times that I literally was free of blame I'll keep painting with the broad brush as well, Chew...the one that paints LEO as 99%+ being great guys with the rotten apples getting all of the attention and making y'all's lives harder than necessary

I think it primarily stems from the tactic of LEO building a case backwards by using deception to get people to violate their own rights via intimidation. Is that all officers? Absolutely not but folks do get sick and tired of being profiled due to whatever preconceived notion the officer carries into said interactions.
                                Imagine how the overwhelming majority of great LEO's feel every single day these days

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
                                I have always had nice GW's but not so much on Highway patrols. seems like about 50% of the ones I have encountered had a chip on their shoulder or something up their arse.
                                I've had more than my share of encounters with DPS in my life. I've only had one who was a jerk. He didn't like me near as much as his sister did which only made him like me even less

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                                Wow...is all I can say to this thread...SMH.
                                Same here

Comment

Working...
                                X