Need Some Help - Dead or Not???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Some Help - Dead or Not???

My Son shot a buck this morning at about 20 yds slightly quartering away. The buck ran about 40 yds. and laid down for about 15 minutes, got up and walked a few more steps and laid down again. Repeated this 3 more times. We waited for about 4 hours before tracking. Found great blood where he laid down and a solid trail for about 50 yds. Lost blood in a pine thicket with Yaupons and Briars. We did a grid search for 2 1/2 hours but it is so thick couldn't find anything. All of the water traps in the area were searched but no deer. Based on my Son's description he had a complete pass thru about 4" above the chest line and about 4-6" behind the front leg, a bit low but the blood looked great until we lost it. No bubbles in the blood so don't think it was a lung shot.

The attached pic. is just one of the places where he laid down. there were 4 places where he bedded in 50 yds. just like this with a solid blood trail in between. I have a video but can't get it to load.

Do you think it was lethal or not? I just don't know.

Thanks.

Doug
    Attached Files

Looks like liver to me.

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
      Looks like liver to me.
      Yep. Takes a good bit for them to die, but it’s deadly.

Comment

Time for a dog

Comment

He dead right now. Go get him. Tie a fluorescent ribbon at the last blood, high up, and walk in ever widening circlestill you get more blood, then repeat. Someimes a dying deer doesn't make sense. This will bother your son for a long time. Get er done.

Comment

Stomach and lung. Seen it plenty but it can take a bit for them to die and the blood usually fades out. If he didn't bump him, probably dead inside 75 yards of last blood. If he did, more like 200-300. A dog should find it.
            Last edited by toledo; 10-03-2020, 02:29 PM.

Comment

You’re in Jasper? If you weren’t so far I’d bring my dog

Comment

The deer is dead now. With no push he should be within 100yds.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
                  You’re in Jasper? If you weren’t so far I’d bring my dog
                  Yessir in NW Jasper County. I appreciate the thought.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                    The deer is dead now. With no push he should be within 100yds.
                    We didn't push him as far as I know. My Son found the blood and backed out and we waited for about 4 hours before looking. No blood for the first 40 yds. heavy blood for 50 yds as shown and then nothing. It is so thick in Briars and Yaupon you can't see more than a few feet. So discouraging for him. Sure wish we could find him.

Thanks for the comments.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                      Stomach and lung. Seen it plenty but it can take a bit for them to die and the blood usually fades out. If he didn't bump him, probably dead inside 75 yards of last blood. If he did, more like 200-300. A dog should find it.
                      No bubbles in blood and no Stomach matter on the arrow. Further forward and lower.

Comment

He mad a crazy turn you haven't found. He didn't just likely stop bleeding after that.

Comment

He dead man good luck! Push through them briars and get em!!

Comment

I think he's dead, don't give up, get a dog there ASAP.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Dead deer. Liver hit
                              He’s laying somewhere you missed
                              My bet under 200yd from last blood. Possibly not over 100 yd

Comment

Working...
                              X