Done With Grim Reaper Mechanicals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Done With Grim Reaper Mechanicals

I have used Grim Reapers for years, and killed lots of deer with them. I have never had an issue with them not opening and they left tremendous blood trails... Until they came out with the Pro Series. They don't open when you hit a deer.

In my opinion the Pro Series seemed a little stiff compared to the old stuff - the stuff that worked. But, I gave them the benefit of the doubt. After all, who would fix it so it's broke?

This weekend I shot a decent hill country whitetail buck and hit him well. I got a full pass through and saw him drop about 100 yards distant - double lunged him.

Not one single drop of blood on a pretty fair hit. Blades didn't open. Even on a full pass through. I could not stick my index finger in either side. I guess I basically killed him with a field point.

In the box they go. Following Michael I bought a pack of Wasp Jackhammers. Let's see how they do!

Good intel. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Comment

I have never experienced an issue with grim reapers but only shoot the original whitetail specials and the hybrids. Never ordered any of the pro series heads. Thanks for the report.

Comment

I'm using the micro hybrids and I've been slaughtering stuff with them. I have noticed on a couple that there was very little blood but the holes were gruesome. So I cant say that the head didn't do its job because a hole like that should be pouring. Maybe just bad placement on my behalf.

Comment

So, you got any of the old ones for sale? 100gr 1-3/8"?

Glad ya found him Kevin. Hope the rest of your season goes great sir!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
            So, you got any of the old ones for sale? 100gr 1-3/8"?
            Actually I do have some, three I think. But the old ones ain't the problem! The problem is that they shifted to the Pro Series and everything is now according to that design. The Fatal Steel, the CarniFour, etc. All of them are of the Pro Series.

Comment

Did they drop the whitetail special? I still have an unopened package of them I was thinking of using. I figured the crossbow was too much of a shock and might cause them to open so I went with those muzzy trucar. Now to find a deer to shoot !!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by M.LUNA View Post
                I'm using the micro hybrids and I've been slaughtering stuff with them. I have noticed on a couple that there was very little blood but the holes were gruesome. So I cant say that the head didn't do its job because a hole like that should be pouring. Maybe just bad placement on my behalf.

Same head here.... great holes and bloodtrails for me. Love me some Grim Reapers..

Click image for larger version

Name:	59918170294__98429B40-7361-4F62-B3B3-BCECD.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	24634159

Name:	00PigLDP.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	24634160

Name:	Avatar.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	24634161

Comment

Phil you know Kevin’s been using field tips since his eyes have been going bad. Let’s humor him, yeah they didn’t open.

Comment

I’ve had probably more of them not open, than the ones that did.
                    I’m done with them
                    I’m shooting the SEVR broadheads now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                      I have used Grim Reapers for years, and killed lots of deer with them. I have never had an issue with them not opening and they left tremendous blood trails... Until they came out with the Pro Series. They don't open when you hit a deer.

In my opinion the Pro Series seemed a little stiff compared to the old stuff - the stuff that worked. But, I gave them the benefit of the doubt. After all, who would fix it so it's broke?

This weekend I shot a decent hill country whitetail buck and hit him well. I got a full pass through and saw him drop about 100 yards distant - double lunged him.

Not one single drop of blood on a pretty fair hit. Blades didn't open. Even on a full pass through. I could not stick my index finger in either side. I guess I basically killed him with a field point.

In the box they go. Following Michael I bought a pack of Wasp Jackhammers. Let's see how they do!
                      You will like the Jak Hammers

Can the mechanical blades be removed from the Micro?
                      Last edited by lovemylegacy; 10-22-2020, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                        Actually I do have some, three I think. But the old ones ain't the problem! The problem is that they shifted to the Pro Series and everything is now according to that design. The Fatal Steel, the CarniFour, etc. All of them are of the Pro Series.

I’ve killed several critters with the carnifour. Plan on doing it again this weekend. Let me know if you want to sell yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gatt40 View Post
                          Phil you know Kevin’s been using field tips since his eyes have been going bad. Let’s humor him, yeah they didn’t open.
                          This made me laugh......a lot!

Comment

Thanks for the Intel. Congrats on getting you buck with a expensive field point.

Comment

You sure the blades didn't break on impact? I had that happen on a pro series whitetail special. Way too frail for the size of the cut.

Comment

Working...
                              X