No Pigs in Brown/Mills County?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Pigs in Brown/Mills County?

Leased some land from a rancher this year, 225 total but split up into 3 parcels between Brown and Mills County. Have yet to see a pig out here and I was wondering if this is normal for this area. The rancher has told me there have been pigs on all 3 parcels before if that matters.

Very normal, one month you won't have any and then next month you'll be covered. They come and go. Start throwing corn on the ground and they'll show up before too long if they've been there in the past.

Comment

I was on a lease in Mills 15+ years ago and we never saw pigs on our place. Then hunted for years on a lease in Brown (Gouldbusk) and never had them there either. The year after I left that lease, a friend of mine from that property killed one. We always assumed they had to be in the area and considered ourselves lucky they weren't on our place - but we always said WHEN they do finally move in, not IF they move in...

Comment

My dad had a place just inside Mills County (south side) for 20+ years. No pigs the first 10, then saw a few. Tried shooting/trapping over the next 5 years and only saw a couple..Then none until he sold the place. For some reason I guess there's not good enough habitat for them there.

Comment

Hogs are nomadic. We were on a lease in Winchell, South of Brownwood, for 18yrs never seen a hog. And then all of the sudden in the last 5 seasons Bam Hog heaven.

Comment

I've owned land in Mills County for 12 years and have never seen a pig in person or on camera. I know they are in the county but not in my area. I think the goat fencing, govt. trappers, and overall dryness keeps them away. It is just a matter of time I think before we do though.

Comment

Originally posted by gwellstx View Post
              I was on a lease in Mills 15+ years ago and we never saw pigs on our place. Then hunted for years on a lease in Brown (Gouldbusk) and never had them there either. The year after I left that lease, a friend of mine from that property killed one. We always assumed they had to be in the area and considered ourselves lucky they weren't on our place - but we always said WHEN they do finally move in, not IF they move in...
              And at least southern Mills County proves that statement as false. Everyone says it but it's simply not true. It was around 1995 when a few were on my Dads place. Last I heard none there anymore (or still just a couple).

Comment

We own a 200ac place in brown county close to mills county line.. never have seen a pig in the last ten years.. Strange

Comment

We have a place SW west of Goldthwaite on the Colorado River. We had pigs show up about 5-6 yrs ago and seem to be getting worse.

Comment

Some areas of those counties just don't have pigs for reasons only known to them. LOL! When lookin to buy passed on a couple of places, because there weren't pigs around. I always like hunting them. Would rather shoot pigs than deer.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                      We have a place SW west of Goldthwaite on the Colorado River. We had pigs show up about 5-6 yrs ago and seem to be getting worse.
                      Yep getting out of hand on our place as well about the same location

Comment

Originally posted by dirtymikesboys View Post
                        Yep getting out of hand on our place as well about the same location
                        Where are yall at? On the River?

Comment

We own land on the Brown Callahan county line and we have no shortage of pigs,we bought this place about 4 years ago and have trapped and shot about 100 hogs,trapped some big boars,but not one of the hogs has had any cutters of any size.When they get thick they push the deer out,you won’t hardly see any deer.

Comment

Im on the Colorado and we are covered in pigs..

Comment

Have hunted brown county for the last 5 years and have never seen a pig. The owner has had this land in his family for the past 60 years and has never seen a pig.

Comment

Working...
                              X