Indian artifact or...junk....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indian artifact or...junk....?

I found this in Cotulla. Whatcha think it is...? A rock on a dollar.....

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Looks worked to me

Comment

It's an artifact. I've found them before. It's a scraper. Just can't recall the common name for them. The thumb hold is obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by redleif View Post
        It's an artifact. I've found them before. It's a scraper. Just can't recall the common name for them. The thumb hold is obvious.
        You either know a lot about artifacts or you have a very good imagination. All I see is a rock that has been worked then probably tossed away.

Comment

Not an expert. Someone told me they were scrapers. Turtle back scrapers I think. Guess they were misinformed or pulling my leg. Sorry for the post.

Comment

Looks worked to me.

Comment

Both artifact and junk. Started on it, but it stayed thick, so they tossed it. Maybe used a little, maybe not, but not all that cool. Takes 5 min to make one like that, and to figure out if a rock will cooperate or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=Jason Fry;15142571]Both artifact and junk. Started on it, but it stayed thick, so they tossed it. Maybe used a little, maybe not, but not all that cool. Takes 5 min to make one like that, and to figure out if a rock will cooperate or not.

I would say no Indian artifact is junk. Maybe not a quality piece, but still neat history that is not easy to find. I would keep it.

Comment

Worked, but not an artifact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=bpa556;15142603]Worked, but not an artifact.

A piece of rock that was worked and discarded 4 thousand years ago in an artifact. I have a few and call them dang it's. The indian picked it up - hit it ten times and it broke. He muttered dang it and droped it.

OP that is a artifact dang it...................

My group from Garguy....
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 10-03-2020, 06:50 PM.

Comment

[quote=Johnny Dangerr;15142679]
                      Originally posted by bpa556 View Post
                      Worked, but not an artifact.

A piece of rock that was worked and discarded 4 thousand years ago in an artifact. I have a few and call them dang it's. The indian picked it up - hit it ten times and it broke. He muttered dang it and droped it.

OP that is a artifact dang it...................

My group from Garguy....
                      I have about 25 lbs of "dang-its"

Comment

Human alterations, why, I am not sure. But definitely done by humans.

Comment

[quote=dustoffer;15142745]
                          Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post

I have about 25 lbs of "dang-its"
                          X2

I still count it a cool day when I find a “dang it” knapped rock. Just knowing someone a long long time ago was once whacking on that little piece of rock still makes it worth keeping to me. Write place and time found to keep with it, and every now and then hold that old rock and think about that fellow hunting dude who maybe a thousand years ago walked the same ground you just did.

Comment

Put in the bucket instead of the coffee can is what I do.

Comment

Working...
                            X