All toms, no hens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All toms, no hens

While I was sitting in my tree stand last Friday evening, I had a group of 39 turkeys come to my feeder. Every single one of them had a beard, ranging from 1.5” to 9-10” long. Not a hen in the bunch. Is this normal? I’ve never seen anything like it before.

Originally posted by Dr. Evil View Post
    While I was sitting in my tree stand last Friday evening, I had a group of 39 turkeys come to my feeder. Every single one of them had a beard, ranging from 1.5” to 9-10” long. Not a hen in the bunch. Is this normal? I’ve never seen anything like it before.

This time of year yes...they are bunched in bachelor/bachelorette groups. Good news is you should have a helluva spring

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      This time of year yes...they are bunched in bachelor/bachelorette groups. Good news is you should have a helluva spring
      Agreed!

Comment

Shoot em all. Nothing worse than a dang corn buzzard. They’re worse than hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
          Shoot em all. Nothing worse than a dang corn buzzard. They’re worse than hogs.
          Two good things about turkeys better than hogs. They taste good and don’t tear **** up

Comment

Yep, I'm seeing the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
              Two good things about turkeys better than hogs. They taste good and don’t tear **** up

I love hunting them both...especially turkeys in the spring...

Comment

Next spring is gonna be noisy!
                We occassionally have to chase them away from our hand corn .
                I also set my feeders to go off again after they have gone to roost

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  Agreed 1000%

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                    A wild turkey is nasty to eat. I will never eat another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Evil View Post
                      Dang that sounds terrible. Do you need me to come thin them down in the spring for you? Sounds like a tremendous burden....

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                        A wild turkey is nasty to eat. I will never eat another one.
                        We did a taste test. Fried both domestic and wild with breading and 4 to 0 said wild was better with only my wife knowing which was which.

Comment

Originally posted by climatecrisis View Post
                          Dang that sounds terrible. Do you need me to come thin them down in the spring for you? Sounds like a tremendous burden....
                          You got just so many tags, I can help.

Comment

Are you sure some of them were not bearded hens?

Comment

All toms, no hens

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                              We did a taste test. Fried both domestic and wild with breading and 4 to 0 said wild was better with only my wife knowing which was which.
                              I ain’t saying that ain’t possible, but a wild turkey is a gamey, tough and nasty tasting bird. I’ve tried it every which way possible and it always tastes like a nasty piece of chewy turkey. Every time I hear someway say soaked, breaded, and fried, that lets me know it’s nasty. Throw some salt and pepper on it and cook it in a skillet. I bet it ain’t edible. Bull testicles taste decent sliced thin and fried.
                              Last edited by panhandlehunter; 10-21-2020, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X