How to slow hogs eating corn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
    I’m in Smith County. I put my feed pen up in January with free choice protein and corn feeders. Not a single deer jumped in and the corn just piled up until July when I gave up on it. After I took down 2 panels from the pen the deer finally ate the protein. Might have to try again. These hogs are ridiculous.
    With hand corn they will probably jump in..... they don’t like the feeder

I built a 10 panel pen around one hogs took over once..... entire feeder (3 months)...nada
    Removed 2 panels..... hogs in 4 hours

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
      B S. Hogs love alfalfa. They are killing mine and other club members right now. Pulling it out the hay feeders by the mouthful. Crazy!
      BS. Not all all hogs love Alfalfa

I guess I should have been more specific.
      Hogs at our river bottom lease aren’t eating it. Deer pics have tripled since we moved cameras to alfalfa and off of corn piles.

Comment

My pens are all eight hog panels. Never had a hog in one unless I let him in. I leave the gate open for about a week after I fill it to let the hogs tromp the weeds down. I close the gate, no hogs. Deer jump in regularly. I guess different places hogs and deer act differently. That’s all I got.

Comment

Hog panels. Just like fencing in a feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
            SIG AR 308 with 20 round PMAG clip & two extra clips on hand

That’s what the GW here in Montana said they use when there is a griz attack on a person and they go in to eliminate the bear.

Comment

Build a pen they said. Deer will jump in and pigs [emoji200] won’t. [emoji15] it’ll work Great

Comment

Pea gravel.

Comment

Originally posted by Hsbtgarcia View Post
                  BS. Not all all hogs love Alfalfa

I guess I should have been more specific.
                  Hogs at our river bottom lease aren’t eating it. Deer pics have tripled since we moved cameras to alfalfa and off of corn piles.

You are correct, so was the other guy. Things are different in different locations. I have seen hogs eat Alfalfa in places I couldn’t get deer to touch it.

Comment

I heard about this food bowl that has these obstacles that slow down and prevent inhaling of food by animals. I heard large rocks in the bowl works well too. You could try that.

Or, you can stop feeding them by putting up a fence. You are not going to kill or trap them enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                      B S. Hogs love alfalfa. They are killing mine and other club members right now. Pulling it out the hay feeders by the mouthful. Crazy!
                      What he said. I've got pics of hogs standing in my feed troughs eatjng alfalfa while the rest of them devour what has been pulled out on the ground.

Comment

I had this same issue. I eventually went to a small feeder (5 gallon) hung 30’ up in a tree that only goes off in the mornings. I don’t know if it’s because it’s so high up with no legs, but the bucks are still hammering it. I’m as anti feeder in East Texas as anyone, but since hanging it high and out of sight, I have actually picked up new bucks. The hogs will probably still hit it, but by only going off in the mornings, you will force them in the daylight. Once you kill one or 2 they will go nocturnal, but the deer will have the corn cleaned up by the time they show up, so they will eventually move off. This has worked flawless for me.

Comment

Our hogs destroyed 3 pig pipes in 18 months. Broke chains, eye bolts and carried or rather pushed the whole pipes 100 yards away through some thick cedars. We quit messing with the pipes, instead bought Sniper Hog Lights and we shoot the hell out of them.

Comment

thermal. Shoot them and it will push them out for awhile

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                              I did use hog panels. Left it up for 7 months and zero deer jumped in and my protein feeder was still full.
                              Just a thought , how big is your pen ? Many deer don`t like small pens . Could be that`s why they don`t jump in . Like I said , just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                                I had this same issue. I eventually went to a small feeder (5 gallon) hung 30’ up in a tree that only goes off in the mornings. I don’t know if it’s because it’s so high up with no legs, but the bucks are still hammering it. I’m as anti feeder in East Texas as anyone, but since hanging it high and out of sight, I have actually picked up new bucks. The hogs will probably still hit it, but by only going off in the mornings, you will force them in the daylight. Once you kill one or 2 they will go nocturnal, but the deer will have the corn cleaned up by the time they show up, so they will eventually move off. This has worked flawless for me.
                                This

Comment

Working...
                                X