Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crazy Horse View Post
    alfalfa & Chaffhaye
    How do you feed the chaffehaye? Just on the ground?

I’ve been interspersing it with alfalfa in my gravity hay feeder which takes animals about 1 month to empty. Heard that chaffehaye goes bad after a few days when exposed to air didn’t know if the deer wouldn’t eat it after that or may turn them away from eating regular alfalfa.

Comment

Originally posted by rockspringshunt View Post
      How do you feed the chaffehaye? Just on the ground?

I’ve been interspersing it with alfalfa in my gravity hay feeder which takes animals about 1 month to empty. Heard that chaffehaye goes bad after a few days when exposed to air didn’t know if the deer wouldn’t eat it after that or may turn them away from eating regular alfalfa.
      I can only go by my experience...

put out near corn feeders with alfalfa bales...

chaffehaye busted up on the ground.
      we had WT & axis hit it hard.
      a 50# bag was gone in about 3-4 days, so I can't speak on the effects of long term exposure.

I hunted both with & without chaffehaye:
      days with chaffehaye out, I saw axis RUN straight to it...
      days without chaffehaye out, they came in, but not in the same numbers or urgency...

so for ME, I am 1000% sold on chaffehaye for pulling in axis...

Comment

alfalfa brings them in for us in Utopia

Comment

I use a timed protein feeder and corn feeders. I have the timed protein feeder open just for a little while in the morning. This gets them coming to the feeder in the morning when I bow hunt during the summer.
          Used free choice peas one year but they knocked them out in no time. Can't afford to feed them free choice protein or peas. Might try putting peas in with the protein this year.

Comment

I've tried them all, but to answer your question about what brings them in regularly? Plain old Lyssy and Eckel Exotic Breeder 16%. On a timer, 1 second in the morning, 1 second in the afternoon. Gotta make them work for it if you expect them to mind.

Comment

the exy axis call works. practice makes perfect... and using in an open area helps so u can see them coming...

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                has anyone tried these? I just ordered one to try it out, I had been thinking about it and this thread reminded me

http://www.axisdeercaller.com/
                it works! both do...

Comment

Do they prefer a type of food plot over others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Invite me.

I won’t attract them, but the day after I leave they will be everywhere and won’t leave until you invite me again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nothing will not eat the Chaffehaye on my place. Stays in feed trough for days on end untouched. Fallow won't eat it either. If Fallow won't eat it something is wrong. Someone told me Axis have a sweet tooth for mangos, but i have not tried it yet.

Comment

In the axis area I live and hunt in, Water, lots of water

Comment

WATER, protein and salt.. If they are in the area they will show up..

Comment

Chaffhaye works better than anything I’ve tried, but it is not guaranteed!

Comment

Alfalfa bails works for us

Comment

I feed corn, protein pellets in a timed feeder, Chaffhaye, alfalfa bales and salt block all at the same time in my feed pen almost all year (March-December) and they show up all year until deer season starts then they disappear. I haven't been able to connect with one yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X