Thinking of Moving!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of Moving!

I’m thinking of moving from the Conroe/The Woodlands area to somewhere between Padre Island and Free Port.
    I’m 71, a widower, and reasonably fit at 156 lbs. I’ve given up hunting, and was thinking that I’d like to return to my roots of having grown up fishing in Kansas. I enjoy photography and playing guitar.
    Since living in Texas since 95 I’ve fished around Galveston and have taken a few charter trips for Redfish and Kings. I do have light saltwater gear but not enough. I’d say my primary interests in fish would be Specks and Redfish. I don’t have a boat. I do have a Kayak but it busts my butt handling it. So, I’m thinking bays, and light surf fishing.
    As I mentioned I’m originally from Kansas, and I really don’t know saltwater well at all. I’d like to learn.
    I do want to stay reasonably close to New Braunfels so my daughter can bail me out of anything unforeseen.
    I wouldn’t necessarily need to live real close to the water but I wouldn’t enjoy and hour or more drive either.
    Any suggestions?

Bay city/ matagorda area. Small town and plenty of places to fish and close enough to new braunfels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Buddy of mine retired, bought himself a 35’ RV , and a new F250 to pull it. Lives in Rockport and is happy as a clam.

Comment

My Bump

Comment

I like our area here in Victoria. Easy drive to New Braunfels and 30 minutes your in the salt at Seadrift or Port o Connor. Big enough to have pretty much anything youd need but not have to live in a big city

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
            I like our area here in Victoria. Easy drive to New Braunfels and 30 minutes your in the salt at Seadrift or Port o Connor. Big enough to have pretty much anything youd need but not have to live in a big city
            x2

Plus you're not far if you'd want to fish areas like Matagorda, Rockport, Port Aransas, etc...

Comment

Victoria is a great town and as has been said is close to the saltwater and not far from the hill country.

If you want to get away from it all then look at Port Mansfield. You're an hour away from good hospitals and shopping but if you're like me, you'll like the solitude and small fishing town atmosphere.

Comment

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Comment

I thought about moving to Sargent when I retire or transferring to Seadrift and getting a place there. I like small towns.

Comment

Deerplanter- if you are looking Seadrift I suggest buy now- POC is moving down the highway. It is getting busy in Seadrift- ramp has been full a lot lately

Comment

Where in Kansas are you from?

Comment

Rent a cabin for a month in the Galveston area, do the same in Port A, and then in Padre. You have the time, and you can get a feel for the people in those areas, as well as cost of living.

Comment

I have my house for sale in Victoria, if your interested.

Here is the listing:

Comment

If all my family and friends weren't in Beaumont and I had access to the amount of family property that I have here in Beaumont, and I could find a good, steady paying job there, I'd gladly live in the Victoria area. I lived and worked there for about 2 years and I really enjoyed it. I liked how close it was to the Hill Country and South Texas, and only 30 minutes from the Coast. I love Beaumont, but it is on the far side of the state and 6-7 hour drives to South Texas and Hill Country deer hunting gets old at times.

Comment

I think you should definitely spend some time in each place and see how you like it. If your interested in the RV route at first that is an easy way to uproot and move on down the coast line until you find a place you like.

Comment

Working...
                              X