Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arizona OTC Archery Gear?

Howdy all,

I am planning to make the trek out to Arizona next January to try my hand at some mulies or coues deer. I have searched around on here and haven't found much on what kind of gear people recommend taking. I haven't done any hunting out west so have no idea what to expect or what kind of gear to pick up. If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be awesome! I am mainly trying to start picking up clothing now so I can accumulate it all by then as I know some of the clothing people use to hunt out west can be expensive.

Thanks,

Garrick J. McCarthy

TAMU '21

I use my Arizona camo when I hunt TX.........the only thing you need is Good walking Boots......you might need 2 pair ...if you are going to do a lot of walking .....also a good pair of bino's..........jdh in AZ

Comment

I see you are c/o 21. If like most college kids, you are short on funds and large on time. Thus:

Keep it basic. All the fancy nancy "hunt out west" clothing is nice, but not necessary. I will say a good pair of binoculars, with a tripod, and solid broke in boots will be the top of the list. Then, everything else including but not limited to:
      -Wool top and bottom layer. I like minus 33, mid weight
      -a light wool shirt or two
      -wool socks
      - fleece
      - rain jacket
      - puffy vest and or jacket (check out an rei sale when they are $50)
      - tent, sleeping bag, pad
      -rain/snow gear (I use my snow pants and a Columbia rain jacket for wind, snow, and light rain)
      -onx maps. Share login with friends, use discount codes, etc to get costs down
      Last edited by MLank; 01-14-2020, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHunter.280 View Post
        Howdy all,

I am planning to make the trek out to Arizona next January to try my hand at some mulies or coues deer. I have searched around on here and haven't found much on what kind of gear people recommend taking. I haven't done any hunting out west so have no idea what to expect or what kind of gear to pick up. If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be awesome! I am mainly trying to start picking up clothing now so I can accumulate it all by then as I know some of the clothing people use to hunt out west can be expensive.

Thanks,

Garrick J. McCarthy

TAMU '21
        Good binos, spotting scope, TRIPOD and you can use the same clothes you hunt with in Texas. I typically go out in my under armor base layer carhart olive or tan pants and a camo hoodie. Carry rain/snow gear. Do your research on likely weather you may encounter in the unit you are looking at. I lived in Az for 3.5 years and may be moving back this summer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
          Good binos, spotting scope, TRIPOD and you can use the same clothes you hunt with in Texas. I typically go out in my under armor base layer carhart olive or tan pants and a camo hoodie. Carry rain/snow gear. Do your research on likely weather you may encounter in the unit you are looking at. I lived in Az for 3.5 years and may be moving back this summer.

Oh, good, broken in hiking boots

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. I figured a good pair of boots would be important.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHunter.280 View Post
              Thanks for the tips guys. I figured a good pair of boots would be important.
              Make sure they have good tough souls. Depending on the unit, there are a lot of rocks you will be walking on and it can ware your feet down real quick.

Comment

I have plans made to hunt Coues in late November this year (banking on drawing my preferred tag) so I’ll let you know when I get back

Comment

Those are perfect, thank ya sir!

Comment

Wear layers. It will be cold during glassing sessions but you will get warm when hiking. 15X56 binoculars on a tripod work really good for this type of hunting. Since you are an aggie you can borrow my 15X56 Vortex Vulture binoculars if you don't want to buy a pair.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                      Wear layers. It will be cold during glassing sessions but you will get warm when hiking. 15X56 binoculars on a tripod work really good for this type of hunting. Since you are an aggie you can borrow my 15X56 Vortex Vulture binoculars if you don't want to buy a pair.
                      That is an awesome gesture and there is a good chance I will contact you next year when I go to take you up on the offer.

Comment

So are insulated boots a must or will non-insulated do fine?

Comment

I just got back from a late season AZ archery hunt. We hunted unit 20A about 45 miles outside Prescott. Lows were 30s.. highs were 50s. We used a guide service. A3 trophy hunts. It was great.. they put us on deer every day.. just didnt seal the deal..

Deer moved from 730 to about 11.. we then ate and glassed until about 4... then the deer were up until sundown.

My trip was a learning experience as I was not properly prepared with some of my gear.

Here is what worked...
                          Danner boots with 400g insulation and wool socks. My feet get cold and this combo was perfect for me.

Pants...Light insulated long john type pants with UA browtine pants.

I wore a long sleeved shirt, sweat shirt and grit jacket. By 11 the jacket was off and only returned if we were glassing and the wind was up.

I took a heavier pair of bibs.. but never used em.

I watched under armour website and bought when they had their 50% off sale.

Here is where my issues were:

Binos- our guides used 15x56.. i took 10x50 and they just didnt reach out as far.

Tripod- i took an old aluminum one I had laying around.. should have found a nicer one and got a good head.

Spotting scope- another took what I had. 20-60 which would have worked just fine.. but it was old and didnt hold up well.

Pack - i took a backpack and it didnt hold enough stuff. I am getting a kifaru or eberlestock for our return trip. Need something that will hold the spotter, tripod and some clothes along with water food knife game bags. Get one with a frame.

Things that might help..

Little stool- there were plenty of rocks to sit on.. but there were times that there wernt.
                          Sneek tek boot covers
                          Walking sticks- i didnt use em.. but some of the hills are legit.
                          Maybe gaiters... i spent each night pulling cactus from my pants.

Find a topo map..helps with approach

Radios.. if you are going with a buddy.. he can stay put an hopefully walk you in close.

Learn to judge yardage a bit.. i blew a great opportunity.. think it was 90..when it was 70yds.

My hunt was awesome and we are making plans for December since the tag and license are good for the year.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X