Need to build a hoist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to build a hoist

Wanting to add an electric hoist to the shop for helping unload stuff out of the truck. Would like it to travel, but not necessary.

For the more experienced fabricators out there, is there a safe way to connect a 10’ piece of I-beam between the trusses (doubled c-purlin), and be able to safely lift 1k lbs from the center? Or any better ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am no engineer, but I don't see adequate bracing for that roof to support a vertical load. I am in the same boat as you, and what I have been kicking around is building a moveable A frame type on large casters. We built one way back when for the ag shop and it worked well.

Comment

looks close to fitting your shop....

Comment

With the load the roof is already carrying, I wouldn't trust c-perlin to carry that load, even if it's only a 10 foot section of I-beam.

A roll around gantry crane would be my choice for a shop like yours. That way, you can store it anywhere in the shop you desire when not in use. You could also load it on a trailer and take it places if necessary. And would come in handy skin-n game.

Harbor Freight has a couple that I just happen to look at last weekend. The 2,000lb modle looks well-designed/built. I don't like buying there because most of it is imported from China. But they do carry better products than they used to 20 years ago.

2,000 lb work load for $829.99:
        Amazing deals on this 1 Ton Gantry Crane at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Comment

Definitely wouldn't try to hoist anything close to 1k pounds on that roof. I'd be afraid of it buckling

Comment

Nope Def not

Just build one

Comment

You could start at the wall and turn one of those cross sections into a truss. If you want it to run on an I beam, you'd obviously have to truss 2 of them...but it's not hard to do.
              Last edited by Dale Moser; 05-26-2022, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_gun View Post
                https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ighlight=hoist

looks close to fitting your shop....
                Ya, if I hadn't just had the 2 post lift installed I would have scooped that up quick!

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post

A roll around gantry crane would be my choice for a shop like yours.

2,000 lb work load for $829.99:
                https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-...ane-62510.html
                Considered this, but I'm already running out of floor space and I really dont want to take up that much more, plus I really only need the lifting ability in one spot in the shop.

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                You could start at the wall and turn one of those cross sections into a truss. If you want it to run on an I beam, you'd obviously have to truss 2 of them...but it's not hard to do.
                Was hoping you'd chime in

Im not opposed to doing a 30' span across the width of the shop, I just dont know what material can span that distance, lift 1k in the middle, and hopefully not require a large forklift to raise

Comment

I believe what Dmo is saying is go back the columns and truss it across then hang your ibeam and trolly off of two trussed gables, like what I poorly drew on the pic of your pic.

If it were me, I’d build a hinged swing out trolley from one of your columns and when not in use just swing it back to the wall. It’d hinge at the column span with some I or h beam, have another column come down off of that with a tee at the bottom with two load rated casters.

For what it’s worth that shop is very lightly built. I’d be leery of trying to hoist much up with the way it sits currently. And welding next to your insulation isn’t recommended either.
                  Who built the structure?

Comment

I've put a few hoists in buildings during my career. You could set a steel post with floor plate on each side and then span it with an I beam. Tie the assembly to the building for lateral bracing, but not using the building to support the load. It would be pretty easy to get a half ton, or even a ton on no more distance than I'm seeing.

Comment

Need to build a hoist

It doesn’t have to be heavy material, I think 2” 11ga for the bottom, and 14ga for the others. Trusses are all about weight distribution. It would really strengthen your whole building.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post

I believe what Dmo is saying is go back the columns and truss it across then hang your ibeam and trolly off of two trussed gables, like what I poorly drew on the pic of your pic.

If it were me, I’d build a hinged swing out trolley from one of your columns and when not in use just swing it back to the wall. It’d hinge at the column span with some I or h beam, have another column come down off of that with a tee at the bottom with two load rated casters.

For what it’s worth that shop is very lightly built. I’d be leery of trying to hoist much up with the way it sits currently. And welding next to your insulation isn’t recommended either.
                        Who built the structure?
                        We bought the house in January with the shop on it, no idea who built it but everything we've found done on the house/shop so far is shoddy so Im not surprised.

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                        I've put a few hoists in buildings during my career. You could set a steel post with floor plate on each side and then span it with an I beam. Tie the assembly to the building for lateral bracing, but not using the building to support the load. It would be pretty easy to get a half ton, or even a ton on no more distance than I'm seeing.
                        That's what I've seen done on a smaller scale in home garages, wasn't sure about the span since it's 30' in my case.

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        It doesn’t have to be heavy material, I think 2” 11ga for the bottom, and 14ga for the others. Trusses are all about weight distribution. It would really strengthen your whole building.
                        You don't think I'd need to tie the new truss to the floor somehow? Or is that not included with the free plans you provided?

Comment

I built this one w a scrap piece of I beam and some 4inch sq Tubing then slapped some red paint on it...easy weekend project

The nice thing is w the boat trailer Jack's I could roll it out of way
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by oneisnone View Post
                            We bought the house in January with the shop on it, no idea who built it but everything we've found done on the house/shop so far is shoddy so Im not surprised.

That's what I've seen done on a smaller scale in home garages, wasn't sure about the span since it's 30' in my case.

You don't think I'd need to tie the new truss to the floor somehow? Or is that not included with the free plans you provided?

What are the “posts” made of? 4X4?

Comment

You can strap the top of a beam if you want to increase deflection loads, and you could use 4x4 x3/16 or 1/4 tube for the posts or pipe. Basically a gantry crane that isn't free standing. Now, if you wanted travel in all directions, a beam down each side of the garage, and a cross beam on trolleys running on them, then a hanging trolley on the cross beam. Would be nice, but maybe more than you need for what you are wanting to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X