Who's old enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's old enough?

To remember when there were no hogs in Texas? I am.. And where did you see your first one.. I'm remember when there were none to extremely rare(basically none)in this state. The first one we ever saw was here in Brazoria county in 1978. A huge black boar. We killed him. Not another for many years. Now we have thousands..

The next one we saw and killed was in 1980, on the Navasota River, in Leon county, west of Marquez.. We didn't see another one for years in Leon county and then around 87-89 all of the sudden they were everywhere. We lost that lease in 89.
    Last edited by PondPopper; 03-06-2022, 02:44 PM.

We hunted Llano, San Saba and the Bob Smith Ranch (east of Centerville) for several years, mid 70’s to very early 80’s and never saw a single one nor had a lease member so much as claim to see one.

Somewhere around ‘84, we got on a lease off 321 between Cleveland and Dayton and they were everywhere. It was pretty cool at first, something to do and more opportunities to put meat in the freezer. It’s not really cool anymore.

Comment

First hog I remember seeing was in 1994 at our then lease in Llano.

Comment

First one on my place in Mills county was about 2015 or 16. We had hogs before that in Mills county but none on our place.

Comment

Killed my first on Richland creek WMA in 2001. First I’d ever seen

Killed my first in wood county a month later… and kill a few hundred a year since then

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
            To remember when there were no hogs in Texas? I am.. And where did you see your first one.. I'm remember when there were none to extremely rare(basically none)in this state. The first one we ever saw was here in Brazoria county in 1978. A huge black boar. We killed him. Not another for many years. Now we have thousands..

The next one we saw and killed was in 1980, on the Navasota River, in Leon county, west of Marquez.. We didn't see another one for years in Leon county and then around 87-89 all of the sudden they were everywhere. We lost that lease in 89.
            There was none in the late 70's and early 80's in Fortbend and Brazoria county. I spent many nights with a spot light in my hand when my brother was in high school, If there was any I would have seen at least one. We saw Bigfoot 3 or 4 times but no hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
              There was none in the late 70's and early 80's in Fortbend and Brazoria county. I spent many nights with a spot light in my hand when my brother was in high school, If there was any I would have seen at least one. We saw Bigfoot 3 or 4 times but no hogs.
              I hear you... Oh believe me when we killed that big nasty one in 78 it was the talk of the county for months.. Very few if any had ever seen one in this county.. We killed him on my uncles cattle lease noth/west of Angleton. The actuall kill site is maybe a half a mile from where I actually live now. It was many years before I saw another.. Now we have 1,000's in the area.

Heck I can even remember when we had NO alligators. Now look.

Comment

I saw my first feral hog below Lake Jacksonville in Gum Creek bottom in 1983 I think. We had seen signs of them a few months before. I didn’t kill my first one until years later.

Comment

Danged, I might be old enough to qualify to respond to this question. Back in the early 70’s, I had a good friend that shot one every other year is so. I definitely remember the second one was a big ol’ huge Russian boar. He was hunting out in the bay brush out past Ingleside on the bay. He was definitely the talk of the town. Just saying......

Comment

I shot one not far from Cotulla in '72.

Comment

First one I can remember, my dad shot it in the Sulphur River bottoms around 86, 87.
                      I was around 8 at the time.
                      Dad had that ugly sucker mounted, and still has it on the wall today.
                      Somewhere around 92 or so, I can remember we started hunting specifically for hogs on the Broseco.
                      My uncle would take his helicopter up and find em, and the chase would be on.
                      Big sport at the time.

Comment

We have been on our current lease in Karnes County since 1989 and had no hogs back then. I think we started seeing them about 94-95 and didn’t have a real population until 99ish. We have them all the time but they just don’t seem to thrive around here. We have had years we saw quite a few and then years like this year where I didn’t see a hog during deer season until late November.

I hunted near ElIndio in the early 80’s and we saw a few but never killed one.
                        My buddy’s family owned a pecan orchard near Carrizo Springs and they killed tons of pigs in the 80’s.
                        Last edited by TX CHICKEN; 03-06-2022, 03:30 PM.

Comment

First one I saw was in Kerr County in 1990, but I lived in the panhandle and there weren't any then. At least where I was.

Comment

there was a real big hog farm are hog stockyard in llano right off of 71 in the 60s 70s. am sure some got out.

Comment

I’m 52 and have hunted central Tx my entire life and never seen a hog until about 10-15 years ago

Comment

Working...
                              X