• Time
  • Show
Clear All

who uses an armguard?

and how common is string slap?

Asking for a friend......

Pics or it didnt happen.

Comment

When I first started shooting trad I wore one then after a while went without one when I was convinced that you don't need it if you're using proper form. That's probably true but after getting smacked a few times I went back to wearing one and still do. It's also handy to keep my sleeve out of the way when wearing bulky clothing.

Comment

who uses an armguard?

I only use an armguard when I hunt because I don’t want the string to catch on my sleeve. I really don’t need it ever except for when it’s real cold and I’m bundled up with extra layers on my arm.

What I said above is not true!!! I do have to wear an armguard with primitive bows that have very low brace heights. I nearly never hit with a fiberglass laminated recurve or longbow.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Like Bisch, I always wear one when I have a jacket on as needed to keep the sleeve out of the way.

But, I did have an "event" where I whack my arm hard enough it raise a 1/2" wide by 1/4" tall blood blister for about 3" down my arm. Now I pretty much always wear one.

Comment

I use one to keep my hunting jacket clear of the string. Sometimes use it with my longbow.

Comment

Not so far.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

No arm guard for me

Comment

Trad shooting only. Don’t use one with my compound.

Comment

Yes

If you don’t wear it you wil worry about smacking your arm.

I’ve got a low pro one that doesn’t really look like an arm guard

But with thin blood of you knock the crap out of your arm with it you wil have a hellacious bruise

Comment

I use an arm guard anytime I am wearing sleeved item.

Comment

Two situations where I will use an arm guard: 1) with a low brace height longbow. 2) when I am wearing a long sleeve shirt and the wind is blowing. Some of the worst string slap that I have experienced was caused by light weight sleeve fabric billowing in the wind and getting in the way of the string. I also managed to find a skinny sleeve hunting jacket that hugs my arm. No need for an arm guard with that jacket.

Comment

Mostly when hunting wearing a jacket but I do have a Sentman bow that I have to use an armguard when shooting. I've owned and shot a lot of bows, both recurves and longbows without needing an armguard but I have tried everything I know of trying to prevent string slap but haven't been able to do it yet on the Sentman bow, it has a wedge grip and I think that causes it.

Comment

I use an arm guard for hunting or any time I shoot wood arrows.

Comment

No, but there’s been a few times I wish I did lol

Comment

Working...
                              X