It’s getting to be that time again, solar flares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s getting to be that time again, solar flares

Every 10-12 years the sun goes through cycles. I guess you could say the sun is a female!! (Dodging the incoming slaps from the female members here!!!). These cycles include times of VERY minimal solar activity referred to as solar minimum and periods of VERY high amounts of solar activity referred to as solar maximum.

The last few years have been a solar minimum, but that means that solar activity is now ramping up as we get closer to the next solar maximum.

On October 28, 2021 we had our first X class solar flare in years. X class solar flares are the strongest of the solar flares and are the ones that can cause massive devastation here on earth. The flare that we had on October 28 was only an X-1 flare. This means that come the 30th and 31st(it usually takes a couple of days for the CME(coronal mass ejection) to actually make it to earth) we should be seeing the effects of the solar flare.

So what effects will we see?

From an X1 flare, most people won’t notice anything except for maybe some satellite radio disruptions, occasional GPS outages, and maybe some satellite TV disruptions. For our HAM radio friends, they will see a lot more static and other disruptions depending on the frequency used(correct me if I’m wrong). These problems won’t just happen when the CME arrives, they can happen between when the solar flare happens until the CME arrives. My family and I just got back from eating out and the restaurant had some problems with their satellite TV. I let a manager know what was going on and what was causing the problem and he just had the deer in the headlights look.

So how strong of a solar flare would it take to have major problems here on earth? That is a complicated answer. This is because not all solar flares are aimed directly at earth. The sun could belch out a super strong X50 flare that is not aimed at earth and the effects here would be very similar to what this earth directed X1 flare we are seeing now would be. At the same time, if we had an X20 flare that was earth directed, you better get ready for some big problems!

So what problems could we see with a super strong solar flare? Primarily, major problems to the electric grid as well as major satellite outages or even damage. Due to the frequency of the CME, a long antenna is needed in order to pick up on the electrical signals. It just so happens that the power lines are perfect antennas for that! HAM radio operators could also see problems with their equipment if they keep their antennas connected during a major solar storm like this.

So how do you protect your house from a major solar flare? About the only way that I am aware of is to shut off power to your entire house BEFORE the CME hits earth. About the easiest way to do this is to shut off your breakers. However, unless it is a VERY strong solar flare of at least X-10, the odds of a solar flare doing permanent damage to your house is pretty slim.

You don’t always have a 48-72 hour lead time before the CME hits though. CMEs don’t always travel at the same speed. Some go very slow and can take a little more than 72 hours to get here while some VERY fast moving CMEs can hit in as little as 24-36 hours.

A good way to keep up with this stuff without watching it all the time is to go to spaceweather.com and sign up for email alerts. Typically, you will get an email within 2-3 hours of a strong flare being detected.

I hope this helps………..

Dude, you need some real stuff to worry about in your life. Actually I should have said that another way… I have many more important things on my mind that keep me up when I think too much about it.
    Last edited by Kevin; 10-29-2021, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Oh wow.....never gave that one much attention. Adding stuff to my repertoire daily around here.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

One second after

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
          One second after
          Great book.

Comment

Learn something new every day, thanks for the detailed post,

Comment

Interesting read! Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin
                You sure puff up easily…

Let me know when you want to discuss orbital mechanics or electromagnetism. I am always down for science talk, especially as it relates to electronics.

Here is a great article from NASA…

I’m not saying some never before encountered event could occur, I just think it’s more important to have a retirement account, well raised and functioning children, concealed carry, reliable vehicle, food, etc… than worry about what the sun is throwing at me.

You never responded to the thread you straight up lied in, so I am not surprised at your response.

Hope you get some time in the woods. Seriously. No ill will here.

A never before encountered event you say?

Have you ever heard about what happened in 1989 when a solar flare knocked out power to parts of Canada for 9 hours? Or how about the Carrington event in 1859 that was such a strong solar flare that it caught Telegraph offices on fire and allowed telegraph operators to send telegraphs with their batteries disconnected?

It has happened before and is not a if it will happen again thing but rather a when it will happen again.

With that being said, the original post was not meant to scare but rather to inform and to show that there isn’t anything to worry about despite sensational news articles coming out right now that say this solar flare could cause power outages like this article does;

https://www.the-sun.com/news/3957750...th-power-grid/

So next time, before you stick your foot in your mouth again, you might want to brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

EDIT; and your NASA article pretty much states EXACTLY what I posted. So thanks for contradicting yourself and proving your lack of reading comprehension.
                Last edited by 91cavgt; 10-30-2021, 03:23 AM.

Comment

For everyone else who doesn’t suffer from footinmouth disease, y’all are welcome. Following what the sun is doing has been a hobby of mine for many, many years and I enjoy it. My main goal of this is to inform and to disprove sensational news articles with crazy headlines that are just click bait and can lead to people panicking.

Comment

Thanks for head's up, 91. Great info.

As for the "supporting member", I've always tried to keep to the old adage that if I don't have anything positive to add, I'll just move along to the next thread. Kinda wish more folks would do the same around here. Seems there's always one looking to tank another's thread. Too bad.

Comment

That spaceweather.com is a cool site
                      Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                        A never before encountered event you say? …
                        Have you ever heard about what happened in 1989 when a solar flare knocked out power to parts of Canada for 9 hours? Or how about the Carrington event in 1859 that was such a strong solar flare that it caught Telegraph offices on fire and allowed telegraph operators to send telegraphs with their batteries disconnected?

EDIT; and your NASA article pretty much states EXACTLY what I posted. So thanks for contradicting yourself and proving your lack of reading comprehension.
                        Poor word phrasing on my fault. I was referring to CME creating some global catastrophe. That has never happened to our knowledge. Yes I have heard of the events you posted, I’m just not losing sleep over it. I have an uncle that won’t leave his house when there is a flare. Just seems like it’s more dangerous to drive a car.

With that said, I was being a bit of an butthead last night. I apologize. Other poster was right, I should have just skipped and moved on.

Comment

Thanks! Very interesting!

Comment

Not something I’m worried about but last time I looked this was a forum. A forum is where people exchange ideas and information however asinine they may be. I’m not referring to your posts 91cavgt. The others know who they are.

Comment

Way over my pay grade. When this is about to occur please let me know asap and what I should unplug. Thanks now back to hunting

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X