Reef Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reef Tanks

I’ve been out of the game for about 15 years, but a couple of months ago while watching some Nat Geo, I got the bug again. Man has the equipment changed since then. I decided to look for a project and keep a tight or, reasonable budget to dive back in and get my youngest involved. I decided to go the nano route to keep costs down and lower my success/failure rate. I need to get my feet back under me and retrain myself on all this stuff.

Anybody else in the hobby please post pics and info!!

I searched Craigslist and FB looking for a deal and I found this diamond in the rough not 5 minutes from the house. Offered the guy $125 and it was a deal.

16 Gallon Cube and Stand
    More than enough Rock
    2 Jebao Controllable Powerheads
    Heater
    Red Sea Refractometer
    Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Plus system
    Auto Top Off
    Pop Bloom Lighting

All in all a little over $1000 worth of stuff retail.

Last week I started bleach curing the rock and cleaning up the tank. Threw a new paint job on the stand for a slicker look and to help hide salt creep and deposits.

I’ll start cycling the cured rock with Dr Tim’s One and Only and Ammonium Chloride towards the end of this week so hopefully in 3-4 weeks, I’ll be able to get started stocking livestock.

When I bought it

Some of the goodies

After some rehab. I also removed the top rim to get the rimless look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you need another project I have a 75 gallon saltwater tank that I’d like to sell.

Comment

My son had one for about 18 months. It was fun but he lost interest and I was tired of taking care of it.

Comment

I loved mine had them for years… sure don’t miss them though.

Comment

Looking good man. You'll be shocked the prices of tiny frags now, people learned they can make money. I used to wholesale stuff and hand out frags like Halloween candy but those days are gone. Wild live rock is pretty much gone, the big thing now is the aquacultured stuff from Florida shipped in water with all the hitchhikers.

Comment

I'm in for the ride, used to have 3 tanks up and going but been out of the game for a while now. Sometimes I miss it but I don't need any other projects lol maybe when I have kids I'll set one up with them.

Comment

My last big reef tank was a 200 gallon. Tons of good Fiji live rock in it. Love the hobby, but just don't have the time anymore.

I tried one of those smaller reef tanks a few years ago and just didn't have the time for it either.

That being said, I absolutely love the hobby. So relaxing and rewarding.

Comment

I just looked for my sale ad. Been 10 years since I sold that 28 gallon tank. Wow. Feels like 2 or 3 years ago.

Comment

I used to be huge into coral propagation, now my favorite thing is watching the pistol shrimp and watchman goby. That shrimp builds tunnels all day long, little bulldozer never stops until lights out.

Comment

I've got a 30 gal that is neglected now. When I was single with no kids it was beautiful. Coral everywhere, clownfish laying eggs.... Now I am down to 1 clown and 1 LPS.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                      I loved mine had them for years… sure don’t miss them though.
                      Here is yours now, with a frag tank tied to it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I have been slowly acquiring bits, pieces, fish and coral. Not trying to let it get out of hand as I do not plan on staying in this current house for long. Not trying to move 8 tanks and 900 gallons of BS to another house again. Once I build, that will be another story. I was out of it for 10+ years after I had a 300g tank seam fail which caused me to replace flooring, wife said no more. The most recognizable thing I have seen from now til then is the automation. I work in the patch and can control just about anything on the tank that I want remotely. Justletmein is correct on the frag prices, insane now days. Don't get hung up on some eye candy that is out of your experience level, it will drain your wallet quick. Also, keep an eye on the ban of collection in HI. Yellow tangs use to be $20ish, once the ban was in place, their price has soared. I could go on for days.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Rock is done bleach curing and soaking in RODI right now.

Tank is set in place and most of the wiring is done. Still need to finish the Reefkeeper automation set up and ATO.

Should have it filled up by Sunday to start the cycle.

Between 7 sets of French doors in the living room and my wife’s decor, I don’t have much room to work with so this is where it landed lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good clean wiring, I like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X