No announcement yet.

Hummingbird season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We put our feeders out yesterday. But have been seeing them for about a week in Palestine.

Comment

My feeders been out for a month and no takers yet that I know of.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTealHunter View Post
        do they show up in DFW area? would love to put feeder up for my daughters.
        I'm in Lake Highlands near White Rock Lake and put feeders out last week. Have not seen any yet but by mid-summer, we usually have about half a dozen around.

Comment

We have 3 or 4 coming to our feeder right now, in Franklin. Last year, I had 4 feeders running at once, and those little guys were draining them down by the 2nd day. I couldn't count how many hummers we had, but they were like swarming bumble bees in the mornings and evenings.

Comment

Originally posted by CamoQuest View Post
            We have 3 or 4 coming to our feeder right now, in Franklin. Last year, I had 4 feeders running at once, and those little guys were draining them down by the 2nd day. I couldn't count how many hummers we had, but they were like swarming bumble bees in the mornings and evenings.

Same for us last Fall... Not so many in the Spring/Summer tho.

Comment

Last year we may have had 2 or 3 hummers on 1 feeder. This year we saw more hummers at our single feeder but we bought another and put it up a couple days ago. Tonight I saw no less than 10 to 12 hummers fighting over the 2 feeders. Monday, a 3rd feeder will be put up! I am loving seeing these hummers plus the Purple Martins at our PM house.

Comment

I started this thread, we usually have 8-10 show up, still only seeing 3-4 right now. Been a crazy year for all wildlife. I think the freeze last year has something to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Still only have 2 here. Numbers usually pick up throughout the summer and into fall for me, but I was hoping to have more here by now. Before the first cold front last year we had 10-15 birds on the feeders in the afternoon.

Can I expect more birds each year if I have been vigilant about keeping feeders out and clean? I’ve read that hummers remember good food sources and will return annually to visit….that’s what I have tried to do, but am curious to hear some real life experience on increasing numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone else have problems with them flying into windows? We have big windows on our patio, and they constantly slam into them and knock themselves out pretty often. I have held several for up to 5 minutes before they are able to fly off. We have more birds this year than any other year. Hopefully they will hang around.

Comment

Bees are stilll using my feeders. Hummingbirds are too, but not without working around the bees
                      About 6 birds here already. There is very little blooming in this drought, but I hope the bees move off soon. Never had this bee problem before

I keep the feeders as far away as I can from the windows around our porch.
                      We still have an occasional bird strike, but not often.

Comment

Had one show up last week in Van Alstyne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Up to 3 now !

Comment

Got quite a few now, but they sure ain't gettin' along yet! Last year by the early Summer, they were all settled down and would eat peacefully side by side... So far this year, it's a constant battle with a couple feeder hogs runnin' everyone else off... Funny thing is, it's one of the smallest ones that is stirrin' up all the fuss... Looks like a little male Ruby, but not sure yet...

Comment

I've had a couple here in Mesquite for a couple of weeks.

Comment

We are up to a dozen or so here and i put out a second feeder and might put out a third this week!

Comment

Working...
                                X