No announcement yet.

BINO Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This laser focuses from a tiny spot to a larger spot, that is about 18" diameter at 20 yards.

Yeah it's like using a spot light, except "It's Not".

Why is it not? Because, it does not flood the whole area with light.

Yeah, it's a cheap laser, but it's a darn good one for the price.
    It isn't your average old laser pointer I guarantee it.

Rick

Comment

Well, a spot light by definition doesnt flood a whole area... that is what is commonly refered to (interestingly enough) as a flood light.

It's a very interesting application to those laser lights. The thing that initially bothers me about them is they don't diffuse the light evenly... and when I want to look at a pig, I want to pick a spot created by thier front leg. I would be concerned with artifacts created by the prism refractor. At short distances (like trad) I would be concerned with not knowing where you are at on the critter.

Interested to see what these other guys think when they try it.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
        Well, a spot light by definition doesnt flood a whole area... that is what is commonly refered to (interestingly enough) as a flood light.

It's a very interesting application to those laser lights. The thing that initially bothers me about them is they don't diffuse the light evenly... and when I want to look at a pig, I want to pick a spot created by thier front leg. I would be concerned with artifacts created by the prism refractor. At short distances (like trad) I would be concerned with not knowing where you are at on the critter.

Interested to see what these other guys think when they try it.
        I have used this same laser as a bow sight, and it worked great. No problem with prism refraction out to about 25 yards (the longest distance I used it). I zeroed it at 15 yards, and was dead on there, but from point blank out to the 25 yards the arrow always hit within no more than a couple inches (high/low depending on the distance) of where the dot was.

That said, I think you have misunderstood what I am doing with this BINO rig. It is not a sight. It is simply for night vision spotting, and it works great for that.

Now, putting one on a rifle scope might change things some. But I doubt it, because you can buy the lasers for the scopes just as I intend to build for myself. I'm pretty sure they have tested them to see if it works.

Of course the laser isn't as good as the high dollar infrared stuff, but it'll work just fine for now.

I went out, and walked the property about an hour after dark, and spotted several rabbit, a racoon, and a bunch of roosting turkey. That was all in about a 30 minute walk about. It works great, does not emit a bloom of light, And as far as I have seen when using it for a sight on the bow, or for this night vision rig, it does not disturb the animals like a powerful spotlight does.

Rick

Comment

Super slick rig Rick.

No step for a Stepper.
          Word.

Comment

Working...
          X