How long to gut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
    Im with Geezy Rider. I'm certainly not criticizing anyone, but I guess Im just old and slow. I'd like to see yall get one done in less than a minute, or less than 5 minutes. If anything, just to learn how yall do it so fast, and not worry about punching a hole in something, or slicing yourself. Like others have said above, even with one hanging, we just sorta take our time. Usually in no hurry.

A good gut hook/zipper sure helps me a bunch with that. This is not really a "hook" but it's my favorite gut tool and makes quick work out of it if I have to or chose to gut a deer. I also ring the legs with it an back to the razor.

Comment

Seems like about 2:10 into that video is something we try to avoid. HA!

Comment

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
        Seems like about 2:10 into that video is something we try to avoid. HA!
        Yeah, that was sloppy. I started doing gutless this year, don't think I'll go back, unless on a youth hunt wear they want the field dressed weight, or I it's going to be a little bit before I can get one to a cooler for some reason. Gutless method is just way to easy and pretty much takes any chance of getting stuff on your meat you don't want.

Comment

We hunt public and portable and typically deep in the woods. Gutting is just automatic for us. Takes 2 or 3 minutes.

Comment

From the time it hits the gambrel hooks to skinned, quartered, and backstraps/tenderloins pulled - 35 minutes tops (depends on how many times I pause to sip on a cold beverage)

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
              here is Mark Drury teaching how to do it and still finishing in a couple minutes or less

Field Dressing 101 with Mark Drury - YouTube
              Well, he’s efficient for sure. I’ve never timed myself so maybe I’m not as slow as I think but I also don’t split the pelvis or the rib cage. Never saw a need too. But I’m sure that slows me down. Still, 15 minutes out of my life to gut a deer ain’t gonna hurt me none.

Comment

What is this “gut” thing you speak of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hardly ever gut them unless I’m getting the ribs.

Comment

Gut - Under a minute
                    Skin/Gut and 1/4 and in the ice chest, maybe 15 start to finish.

Unfortunately for me, everyone at camp knows it and like to play dumb
                    [emoji2959]

Cough cough : GPena:

Comment

Originally posted by Chuy View Post
                      Gut - Under a minute
                      Skin/Gut and 1/4 and in the ice chest, maybe 15 start to finish.

Unfortunately for me, everyone at camp knows it and like to play dumb
                      [emoji2959]

Cough cough : GPena:

You do it so efficiently it gives us more beer drinking time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                      X