Got Lucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got Lucky

Haven't seen a legal buck so far this season besides spikes, so I opted to sit at a stand where spikes had been visiting. Two nights ago saw 2 does and a non-shooter buck at this stand. Camera said spike was coming, and the winds were perfect, so I went for another sit last night. Nothing but birds and one squirrel for near 2 hours, but about 5:40 I catch movement in the creek to my left and there he was. Took several minutes to get to the feeder and give me a shot, all the while the light was fading.

Finally hopped the fence and then offered nothing but a head-on shot. Then he turned left and gave me the broadside I was waiting for. Started the slow draw and it wasn't slow enough, and he looked at me Short staredown and went back to the corn. I finished the draw, anchored, aimed and then he looked again--too late. I squeezed it off, the red nock hit him with the crunch/thump as he reacted and ran out of the pen, leaving the arrow glowing in the pen. I could hear him breaking brush for a few seconds, then I thought I heard the crash. Nocked another arrow just in case, but after 5 minutes heard nothing else. Broke out the coffee and had some, then after 15 minutes I climbed down and went to the arrow. End-to-end blood and the white vanes clearly showed bubbles, so I felt good, even though my initial thought was "too far back and too high".

Blood just past the pen where he landed, then on a log he jumped. After that it was spotty at best and it was a crooked trail, making for lots of stops and starts, with spots every 3 to 10 feet. After he got thru the first screen of brush, he was in the post oaks and the leaves on the ground made for better tracking. Another 20 yds and the trail started uphill, which I didn't like as most hard-hit deer don't run uphill. I shined the light around a bit and about 15 yds up the hill spotted a log with a big blood smear on it, and headed that way. Yee-Ha--it wasn't a log but the buck laying dead with the entry wound showing. Got a couple of pics, dragged him to the field and went to get the truck to have light to do the field dressing. Loaded him up, headed home for a quick supper then hung him in the shed and finished up.

Here's the entry---yep--too high and too far back---but I did catch one lung good and got the tailing edge of the other one. The high shot explained the spotty blood trail and the chest cavity was full.

Here's the exit--obviously far back.

And, here's the "rack"--don't ordinarily shoot spikes but couldnt put a doe in the freezer during bow season, and needed venison. Hopefully I will be able to shoot a doe during muzzleloader season to finish out.

And that's the end of the story.
    Last edited by dustoffer; 12-15-2020, 10:06 PM.

Great write up! At the end of the day everything worked out and you got some deer meat for your family and another successful hunting story to tell

Comment

Cool buck!! Glad you got some meat!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on the spike. He will eat well!

Comment

Glad it worked out for you! Congrats!

Comment

Well done! Enjoy the bounty!

Comment

Working...
                X