Grinding your own HB meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grinding your own HB meat

I usually grind meat about once a year. I started stocking up last summer when they ran briskets and chuck roast on sale. Krogers usually has the best sales on brisket in my area. My cost per lb. was about 2.13 per lb. but I was able to get meat cheaper this year than I had in many years. I do actually save a little money by grinding it myself, but the main reason I do it is because I like knowing exactly what I am eating in my ground meat. This ground meat is pretty close to 80/20, which is what I like for burgers and everything else. I bought the Cabela`s meat grinder in 2008 and it does a great job. I started cutting meat in 1980 and started grinding my own meat at work shortly after that and continued the practice until I retired from the grocery business in 2006. I was able to get the brisket ranging from 1.47 to 1.77 lb. and the boneless chuck roast were 1.99 lb. That is the best price I have seen on both items in a long time. I will try to get the price break down a little later.

You don't vaccum seal it?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I do the same thing once I'm out of ground deer. Cheaper and better than what you get off the shelf.

Comment

I just started making my own hamburger. I enjoy it cause I like knowing what is getting put in it.

I also have a vaccum sealer

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
          You don't vaccum seal it?

I have one(Foodsaver) but this is easier and faster. I get all of the air out and fold the bag over on itself and then seal the bag while applying pressure to force out anymore air. I have been doing this for a while and this way does great. I have a #32 stuffing horn and I have put in game bags before but this works great.

Comment

Here is the total cost per lb. It is probably the least I have ever paid since buying my grinder. Saving a few bucks isn`t really the motivation for me grinding my own as much as knowing exactly what is in my ground meat. I have ground sirloin and skirt steak with the brisket in the past but did not think it added to the flavor though. I cooked burgers on the griddle last night and they were great.

Weight before trimming.....70.39 lb.
            After trimming................54.10 lb.
            Shrink...........................16.29 lb.

Total cost...………….115.62
            Cost per lb........….2.14 lb.

Comment

Nice. I’m grinding about 40# doe meat today. Just adding beef fat.

You like adding the brisket the best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
                Nice. I’m grinding about 40# doe meat today. Just adding beef fat.

You like adding the brisket the best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I like brisket the best for ground beef. I do not ADD it to my deer meat, but if I did it would do a great job since deer meat is so lean. You could probably grind the whole brisket with the deer meat and not have to throw away any of the fat.

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
                  I like brisket the best for ground beef. I do not ADD it to my deer meat, but if I did it would do a great job since deer meat is so lean. You could probably grind the whole brisket with the deer meat and not have to throw away any of the fat.

That’s exactly what I do. No trimming of the brisket about 60/40 deer to brisket. It makes some mighty fine ground meat.

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
                    Here is the total cost per lb. It is probably the least I have ever paid since buying my grinder. Saving a few bucks isn`t really the motivation for me grinding my own as much as knowing exactly what is in my ground meat. I have ground sirloin and skirt steak with the brisket in the past but did not think it added to the flavor though. I cooked burgers on the griddle last night and they were great.

Weight before trimming.....70.39 lb.
                    After trimming................54.10 lb.
                    Shrink...........................16.29 lb.

Total cost...………….115.62
                    Cost per lb........….2.14 lb.
                    Do you trim all the fat off the brisket, or just the hard fat?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
                      Do you trim all the fat off the brisket, or just the hard fat?
                      If you will look at the picture of the meat prior to grinding you can get an idea
                      of how much fat I leave on the brisket as I cut them up for grinding. I do trim most of the fat off between the point and the flat though.

Comment

Working...
                      X