Trad Plans for 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trad Plans for 2020

Now that we're in a new year what are your plans? I'm doing a south Texas pig/javvie hunt in February, the TBH Trad Hog Hunt in April, and Maine black bear in August. I hope to do a little more deer hunting this year, and maybe get back into 3d shooting.

My plans are to assemble the take down I’ve had for months and actually try to learn trad !

Comment

My plans are probably the opposite of what some would do. I picked up Trad a couple years ago and finally was geared up this last season. I shot religiously, worked on form, had it down to where I felt very comfortable shooting 3” groups at 20yds which I was very happy with. Came down to season and my shot on a deer was a fluke deal and man did it tear me up for a week until I had a second chance at the buck. I know it’s bound to happen even with a rifle or compound but since that day I havnt been as excited about Trad. I normally don’t just give up something but work harder towards it. This however feels different. I ended up taking 2 bucks with a compound this season and felt just as excited as I would with any gear. It may be something I come back to later on but for now I will either sell it all off or just pack it away for a while.

Comment

Man Jason I had the same type of thing occur my first trad season. Ended up taking a doe after losing two.
        The next season I broke a finger and ruined it after I took a couple more.
        I have no problem falling back to my Hoyt if I need to in some situations.
        But anything new we do there are gonna be hiccups. I would encourage you to keep shooting. Get out and do some 3D shoots and keep working on that confidence in form and shot.
        In the end it's all archery and if it gives you that surge of adrenaline that we do it for it doesn't matter whether the bow has wheels or not.
        Hope to see you out there somewhere.

Gary

Comment

Thanks Gary! Man I was so pumped and still disgusted by it. I will say I practiced hard all year with my Superstition. The mistake was made with the TBH Sacagawea which I had for a couple wks leading up to season. Maybe the switch hurt but arrow deflection off a twig was the main issue. I may try and build confidence in some pigs this offseason. I’m just enjoying some compound shooting right now.

Comment

Yeah I was leery having her so early in my journey as well. Shot a pig at 3fingers with her and was relieved. Then I quit shooting her and went back to my Widow (which is gone now too) to be ready for bow season..
            I would encourage you to work it out on pigs. That did wonders for my confidence.

Gary

Comment

I've got a new Primaltech take down recurve on the way.
              I'll get to more shoots this year and hunt pigs through the spring more.
              However I'm going to give using a tab a serious attempt this spring so I hope I don't mess myself up too bad.

Gary

Comment

Jason, crap happens whether with a compound or a trad bow. If your confidence is off, I'd suggest looking up Joel Turner's Iron Mind/shot IQ course. He gears it towards target panic, but really it's about learning how to execute a perfect shot every time. The definition of perfect is in the shot execution, not where the arrow hits. If you did everything right, and the arrow still hit a twig, that's just hunting bud! Anyways, hang in there, I certainly didn't fault you for shooting trad when I was following that live thread this fall. You struck me as being very well prepared, and competent to shoot a stick bow at deer!

Back to the original question, I guess my plan this year is to finally get back on the board for big game. I broke the squirrel curse in 2019, and I'll spend a decent amount of time chasing hogs with the bow this spring. I haven't thought as far out as the fall yet.

Comment

Trad Plans for 2020

I just want to figure out how to get my confidence back enough to put the wheels back in the closet and get to consistently making good shots at critters with my longbow again.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                    Now that we're in a new year what are your plans? I'm doing a south Texas pig/javvie hunt in February, the TBH Trad Hog Hunt in April, and Maine black bear in August. I hope to do a little more deer hunting this year, and maybe get back into 3d shooting.
                    Where are you Javvi hunting in February? Yall still go to the Callaghan?

Comment

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
                      Where are you Javvi hunting in February? Yall still go to the Callaghan?
                      Sent you a PM.

Comment

To hunt a little bit more and bag a few more critters than I did last year. Last year was a busy year, for important reasons, but caused me to have a slump and neglect something I do enjoy. I doubt it will be less busy, but hope to balance it out a bit more.

Comment

I'm going to have fun and try a few more bows. Might even try a horsebow or some other design. My archery does not revolve around hunting or competition so I'm free to just enjoy and experiment. At the present time, I'm really enjoying longbows in the mid sixty inch length. They are so smooth that I'm now curious what a seventy inch longbow would feel like.

Comment

Headed to New Zealand in June for 5 days to hunt Red Stag, only catch was my wife said we had to stay in Bora Bora for Five days after the hunt on the way home. I gave in and said okay.

Comment

1) Tune an arrow to be the shortest possible with a 125 gr head. Ill be happy to just tune an arrow with a 125 gr point leading.

2) Learn to serve...going on year two of this goal.

Comment

Working...
                              X