Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibbons Creek Reservoir... Power plant closed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gibbons Creek Reservoir... Power plant closed?

Well, I've heard from a source that the power plant has been shut down.... Is this true?

If so, how has fishing been since it has been shut down? I know the power plant intake and discharge have always been a key part in fishing during the different seasons. How has the fishing resulted because of the power plant being shut down?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

The plant hasn't ran in a year or 2. And lake only open Fri, Sat, Sun

Comment

It is closed for sure. They opened it back up for a short time last year, but it shut down again. It fishes now like a shallow water cold water lake - not like a power plant lake. It is definitely harder to fish that it was - it is no longer good year round. I sure haven't managed to stay consistent with them.

Comment

Why did it close? Anyone know.

Comment

It is a shame. It was a pretty good lake in its day. I caught one a little over 14 and a half, one between 10 and 11, and more 8 pounders than I can remember but that was back in the late 80's and early 90's.

-john

Comment

It's another coal fired power plant that has become obsolete in today's landscape within ERCOT...it is for sale for I think $100 million that includes the lake, lol...

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
              It is closed for sure. They opened it back up for a short time last year, but it shut down again. It fishes now like a shallow water cold water lake - not like a power plant lake. It is definitely harder to fish that it was - it is no longer good year round. I sure haven't managed to stay consistent with them.
              Well thanks for the info. I haven't been able to stay on the fish either. I figured the plant being shut down would change the fishing all around. Guess I'll have to get out there and see if I can figure anything out.

Comment

Originally posted by KNEE DEEP View Post
                Why did it close? Anyone know.
                Coal fired. Natural gas plants are out-competing coal plants. Some will say its regs. It's not (and I hate market regulation).

Comment

Working...
                X