No announcement yet.

Sierra Diablo Gun Mule Deer Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say 4wd is needed, Lots of loose rock on pretty vertical inclines. I know I wouldn't want to try it without 4wd. We drew compartment 2 (velociraptor cage) and the other group is in 1. I will post pictures once I get home, it never seems to work out on my phone. We did see a nice buck as we were pulling into the wma for orientation.

Comment

Any luck?

Comment

Tag

Comment

We did not have any luck. My dad and I saw a lot of does in compartment 2, and we each saw a shooter buck. They were just too far away and we weren't able to make successful stalks. It was still a fun hunt, the other group of guys (in compartment 1) got to see some of the big horn sheep. It's some very rough country and every step makes a sound! We met up with the Biologist, Clay (extremely nice guy), on the feeder of I-10 west of Van Horn. From there it was a 2 hour, 37.5 mile trip down dirt/gravel/rock roads, the last 8 miles or so being the worst. On the way out, the other group got a flat tire, luckily we had made it through the worst portion. The first night it got down into the mid 20's, and warmed up slightly for the rest of the week. The rut hadn't kicked in yet and the moon lit up the night, otherwise we might have had more luck. In our compartment there were quite a few doe. We would watch multiple groups of 3, 4 and 5 does filter through.

The TPWD paperwork stated "once on the property, you will not be allowed to leave" (something to that effect), I understand why now, multiple land owners gates and the distance back to the highway. So if you are drawn in the future bring anything and everything you might need. Clay did mention he drinks the well water and that they had a fridge we "could" use in the event all our ice melted or something strange happened but I definitely would not count on that. There is a skinning rack with lights and TPWD had a Jeep in the event it was needed. Roads are scare in the compartments so I would recommend bringing some type of game cart. If I think of any other things I will post it, if you have a question feel free to ask. Preparing for the hunt I was unable to find a ton of info online about this WMA, although some of the threads and other TBHr's did help me out!

Comment

We did not have any luck. My dad and I saw a lot of does in compartment 2, and we each saw a shooter buck. They were just too far away and we weren't able to make successful stalks. It was still a fun hunt, the other group of guys (in compartment 1) got to see some of the big horn sheep. It's some very rough country and every step makes a sound! We met up with the Biologist, Clay (extremely nice guy), on the feeder of I-10 west of Van Horn. From there it was a 2 hour, 37.5 mile trip down dirt/gravel/rock roads, the last 8 miles or so being the worst. On the way out, the other group got a flat tire, luckily we had made it through the worst portion. The first night it got down into the mid 20's, and warmed up slightly for the rest of the week. The rut hadn't kicked in yet and the moon lit up the night, otherwise we might have had more luck. In our compartment there were quite a few doe. We would watch multiple groups of 3, 4 and 5 does filter through.

The TPWD paperwork stated "once on the property, you will not be allowed to leave" (something to that effect), I understand why now, multiple land owners gates and the distance back to the highway. So if you are drawn in the future bring anything and everything you might need. Clay did mention he drinks the well water and that they had a fridge we "could" use in the event all our ice melted or something strange happened but I definitely would not count on that. There is a skinning rack with lights and TPWD had a Jeep in the event it was needed. Roads are scare in the compartments so I would recommend bringing some type of game cart. If I think of any other things I will post it, if you have a question feel free to ask. Preparing for the hunt I was unable to find a ton of info online about this WMA, although some of the threads and other TBHr's did help me out!

Comment

Not sure why the double post, sorry!

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I put i for this hunt every year

Comment

I just got back from the Big Bend Ranch gun Mule Deer hunt, and no one got anything. I did not even see ONE MULE DEER. And I humped and glassed and scouted like never before. Just were not in my compartment the hours I had hunted, I guess. Either moving through at night, or just not in at all. But, in all fairness, I had just HALF of my hunt, vehicle steering gearbox failure kept me from going till 2 days past opening, bummer.

Comment

Here are a few pictures from our hunt. There are 9 total.

1) Drive in looking back at the mountains
                    2) Roads just prior to entering the WMA
                    3) Topo map of WMA Compartments
                    4) Topo map of Compartment 2
                    5) Sign near the Big Horn Sheep pen
                    6) Outer fence surrounding the Big Horn Sheep pen (Velociraptor Cage)
                    7) Myself near the rim (eastern edge)
                    8) Looking east from Compartment 2
                    9) Sunset while out hunting
                    Attached Files

Comment

Son drew the youth permit for Sierra Diablo, headed out 12/26. Weather looks like it should be good. Anyone have a few pics to share?

Comment

Good luck to ya'll! Sorry don't have pics to share. Look o Google Earth and find the "guzzlers", an inverted metal roof that catches water. Probably a good place to start looking for animals.

Comment

Thanks a bunch! It’s been dry out there and they have to drink.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzotexan View Post
                            I just got back from the Big Bend Ranch gun Mule Deer hunt, and no one got anything. I did not even see ONE MULE DEER. And I humped and glassed and scouted like never before. Just were not in my compartment the hours I had hunted, I guess. Either moving through at night, or just not in at all. But, in all fairness, I had just HALF of my hunt, vehicle steering gearbox failure kept me from going till 2 days past opening, bummer.
                            What compartment were you in at BBR?

Comment

Working...
                            X