Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-27-2021, 09:50 AM   #1
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas
Default 2021 Select Baseball

I'll get this started...my youngest gave up on baseball last fall, picked up more basketball and he cant wait for football, so I am down to my 13u son who plays for the Texas Oilers-Nowell. They finished the fall strong, winning their last 3 tournaments including a super NIT to get them qualified for the Elite 32 in Orlando in July, which we are going to. I have heard this one can be a beatdown but the boys are excited to go and a week at the beach cant be that bad.

We added a few kids that should make this team pretty salty, playing time will definitely be earned. There are 5 V-Tool tourneys on the schedule which should be fun for the boys, they have people walking around the tournaments videoing and putting highlights on Twitter

anyone have any experience with middle finger pain swinging a bat? he can throw just fine, doesnt hurt playing basketball, but squeezing a bat is causing him some pretty intense discomfort on his right middle finger, going up the tendon on the back of his hand toward the wrist. he says he doesnt remember jamming it or hurting it at all, it just started hurting last week at practice.

ice and advil?

good luck fellas, lets hear where everyone is playing this spring.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 03:00 AM   #2
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Take a little time now on the finger and maybe strengthen with bucket of rice and gyro ball. Orlando is a grind- we didnt show up with a team built to win it. The teams that went to championship had 12 - 15 pitchers. Second time my kid went he was flown in to pitch for another team. It is fun- if schedule is not locked down and you get a voice Id play Five Tool, PBR, and PG events. Have fun
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 06:23 AM   #3
Mike
Ten Point

Glen is right on regarding Orlando, or most any of the big events. Just don't get discouraged that you don't stack up. It's sad that you can have a salty team locally but when you get to the top, it's mediocre. Those teams are built to win, everyone pitches, and pitches well, and they have a fleet of PO for their starting & closing group. You basically get out-billfolded is what I call it. It's a fun time but you have to know what you're in for when it begins.

Enjoy it now, it'll be over before you know it.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 01:53 PM   #4
Chad C
Pope & Young

Default 2021 Select Baseball

If anyone is intrested, Hagen has a DeMarini CF Zen Black -10 2 3/4 barrel 29/19. Bat is like new, he has only swung it a handful of times and that was last Spring pre-Covid (we played 2 games), he didn't use it at all this past fall... He prefers his aluminum bats and he wants a Cat 9 so he needs to sale a bat.

$250/OBO.

Let me know if you're intrested and I can shoot you a text (eight - 1- seven - two-six-niner-1-tres -2-four.)

This is from the only game he used it in.

Last edited by Chad C; 01-28-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Chad C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 02:10 PM   #5
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

We are with the Canes out of Decatur again. Largely the same team, though I hope it changes a little as we move along...was really hoping to upgrade at 2 spots over the off season, but only got one. I'm ready to get on the practice field...I'm so sick of hitting/throwing in cages, I could throw up.

Looks like we are gonna go to Gulf Shores for a big one at some point, which the boys will love...but I don't have the confidence we can hang at that level. Doesn't matter I guess.

We have a great core group of parents/kids who all get along great and camp together, and a coach we really like, so the rest is gravy for a while.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2021, 02:11 PM   #6
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Anyone reccomend a VRBO, or AirB&B, for 4 families in Gulf Shores?
Old 01-29-2021, 11:27 AM   #7
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
If anyone is intrested, Hagen has a DeMarini CF Zen Black -10 2 3/4 barrel 29/19. Bat is like new, he has only swung it a handful of times and that was last Spring pre-Covid (we played 2 games), he didn't use it at all this past fall... He prefers his aluminum bats and he wants a Cat 9 so he needs to sale a bat.

$250/OBO.

Let me know if you're intrested and I can shoot you a text (eight - 1- seven - two-six-niner-1-tres -2-four.)

This is from the only game he used it in.

My bad, this was supossed to say $200/obo.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:43 PM   #8
jshouse
Pope & Young

We had our first scrimmage last night and the boys looked good. We are supposed to have 2 more scrimmages Saturday in Decatur if the rain allows.

First tournament is next weekend, the V Tool Texas 20 in Melissa.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:47 PM   #9
glen
Pope & Young

JS. Melissa is a good set up- have fun. Played there probably 6 times for Five Tool events.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:48 PM   #10
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
We had our first scrimmage last night and the boys looked good. We are supposed to have 2 more scrimmages Saturday in Decatur if the rain allows.

First tournament is next weekend, the V Tool Texas 20 in Melissa.
Who are you supposed to scrimmage in Decatur?
Old 02-24-2021, 03:56 PM   #11
Crazzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

We have been doing Strength and conditioning since the first of January and started practice last week.
We play March 6th weekend at the Scrapyard.
11U AA
Victoria Venom.
Crazzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 03:59 PM   #12
Chad C
Pope & Young

Kid was hitting bombs Monday night off a lefty! I’m ready to get this season started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-24-2021, 04:41 PM   #13
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Who are you supposed to scrimmage in Decatur?
A USA Prime team at 430 and Canes Southwest-Peterson at 615, Jones Park.

My younger son has basketball games Saturday, hoping they are early or I may not make the trip for baseball.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:33 AM   #14
junior
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bell,Williamson,San Saba Counties

Quote:
We are with the Canes out of Decatur again. Largely the same team, though I hope it changes a little as we move along...was really hoping to upgrade at 2 spots over the off season, but only got one. I'm ready to get on the practice field...I'm so sick of hitting/throwing in cages, I could throw up.

Looks like we are gonna go to Gulf Shores for a big one at some point, which the boys will love...but I don't have the confidence we can hang at that level. Doesn't matter I guess.

We have a great core group of parents/kids who all get along great and camp together, and a coach we really like, so the rest is gravy for a while.
Dale what age group are yall? I coach a 11U AAA team, we will be in Gulf Shores this year June 9th - 13th. Make sure yall have plenty of pitching, I hear you play alot of games, and I believe you can bring 2 or 3 extra players with ya.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 08:40 AM   #15
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
they have people walking around the tournaments videoing and putting highlights on Twitter
b
This cracks me up!

This is a perfect example though. Parents EAT this up and will spend spend spend. These companies/organizations are very smart

Anything for little Johnny.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 08:50 AM   #16
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
This cracks me up!

This is a perfect example though. Parents EAT this up and will spend spend spend. These companies/organizations are very smart

Anything for little Johnny.
I always look forward to your insight on these threads. Where do your kids play? What age?
Old 02-25-2021, 10:49 AM   #17
glen
Pope & Young

JS. You have your kid playing where he needs to. At 13 he needs to see more than just the local baseball. I know your kid wants to play at HS level and maybe further. There are exceptions but most that dont play competitive baseball wont make a good HS team. HS my kid went to would have kids that would be starters on 90% of HS teams get cut. We had a middle infielder get cut because the infield was so talented and crowded and he is playing D2 baseball this year. Do what is best and enjoy the ride. Make the sacrifices, enjoy the out of town stays, eating out together, etc.

And Dale Junior is right. Bring 3 xtra pitchers at least.

Last edited by glen; 02-25-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:54 AM   #18
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
I always look forward to your insight on these threads. Where do your kids play? What age?
I thought this dude you quoted was Mhbaseballs, sock.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:30 AM   #19
jmcampbell
Eight Point

Hunt In: Canada, Mexico,Texas, Wyoming

I’ve got both boys at the Edge in Granbury. First tournament next weekend
jmcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 11:46 AM   #20
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcampbell View Post
I’ve got both boys at the Edge in Granbury. First tournament next weekend
when my oldest was 7 we had a pretty salty rec league coach pitch team and decided to enter our first tournament. we played cody straits then 7u edge team and i remember thinking that our boys would never, ever, be able to compete with a team like that lol....then the next day we played spitfire and got beat 8-4, they had 4 2-run HRs on us at the star in euless. great memories.

that edge-strait team was very good for a couple years then seemed to have broken up and i believe cody dropped his kid back down to his age and has still been coaching, they would be 12u now. great organization, and back then had awesome uniforms and logo.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:50 AM   #21
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
JS. You have your kid playing where he needs to. At 13 he needs to see more than just the local baseball. I know your kid wants to play at HS level and maybe further. There are exceptions but most that dont play competitive baseball wont make a good HS team. HS my kid went to would have kids that would be starters on 90% of HS teams get cut. We had a middle infielder get cut because the infield was so talented and crowded and he is playing D2 baseball this year. Do what is best and enjoy the ride. Make the sacrifices, enjoy the out of town stays, eating out together, etc.

And Dale Junior is right. Bring 3 xtra pitchers at least.
yeah, its been a fun ride so far, i wouldnt change the time we get to spend with our kids. rockwall is as competitive as they come for HS ball so it will be fun to see who sticks it out in a couple years when hes a freshman.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:25 PM   #22
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Dale what age group are yall? I coach a 11U AAA team, we will be in Gulf Shores this year June 9th - 13th. Make sure yall have plenty of pitching, I hear you play alot of games, and I believe you can bring 2 or 3 extra players with ya.

We’re 9U. We are taking the max # allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2021, 12:55 PM   #23
jmcampbell
Eight Point

Hunt In: Canada, Mexico,Texas, Wyoming

Quote:
when my oldest was 7 we had a pretty salty rec league coach pitch team and decided to enter our first tournament. we played cody straits then 7u edge team and i remember thinking that our boys would never, ever, be able to compete with a team like that lol....then the next day we played spitfire and got beat 8-4, they had 4 2-run HRs on us at the star in euless. great memories.

that edge-strait team was very good for a couple years then seemed to have broken up and i believe cody dropped his kid back down to his age and has still been coaching, they would be 12u now. great organization, and back then had awesome uniforms and logo.
We have been with them a couple years now. Great organization. I remember playing Cody’s team in 7u-8u. They would always beat us by 1 run. Never did beat them. He is with a different organization now I believe.
jmcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2021, 10:49 PM   #24
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

How’s everyone’s weekend going? Weather was spectacular in north Texas this today...sunburns for all.

We’re 1-0-1 and the 3 cede in Irving tomorrow.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:43 AM   #25
junior
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bell,Williamson,San Saba Counties

We played the worst baseball ever since I’ve coached the team. We just haven’t had enough practices yet.
It can only get better

junior is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2021, 08:39 AM   #26
jshouse
Pope & Young

13u Oilers went 2-0 yesterday, still shaking off some rust for sure.

We had Brock checked out last week and it's tendonitis in his shoulder, he played 2 innings at first yesterday, for the first time ever, and just hit other than that. He has 2 more therapy sessions at Arrosti Monday and Wednesday and hopefully we will have it worked out. We don't play again till the end of the month so he won't be throwing much between now and then.

We play at 2 and 4 today, good luck to all you guys.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:01 AM   #27
Texaskid82
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking

I'll jump in this year as we have both boys 10U playing. They play for a fairly new club out of the Woodlands. The South Texas Iron Fins. The boys play on different level teams so it makes for some long practice nights at Scrap Yard. The step son's team went 1-1 in pool play Friday night and play today at 1:15. My other son has his first tourney next weekend. They are playing in the South Texas Super NIT at Scrap Yard. Some decent ball was played, but still a lot of work to do.
Good luck to all today.
Texaskid82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2021, 07:32 AM   #28
jshouse
Pope & Young

Oilers went 2-0 again yesterday, it was a great start, especially considering we were missing 4 of our best arms this weekend due to vacation and injuries.

We have some work to do with the bat but have a few weeks now to figure it out.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:43 AM   #29
glen
Pope & Young

Anyone have any suggestions around Seabrook- Have a nephew that probably needs to step up. Will be looking for a 12 u organization probably AA. He is playing league this year and bored.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:52 AM   #30
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

We lost our 2nd yesterday to a very good team that we tied on Saturday. We just ran out of pitching, and they hit them where we weren't. All in all a great 1st tournament of the year. Brady played great all weekend, hitting the ball hard to all fields, particularly oppo. He started our 1st game on Sunday and pitched 4 1/3 on 64 pitches and gave up 3 runs.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:12 PM   #31
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Anyone have a first base mitt for a 12U player you’d let go for a decent price? Kid is probably going to have to play a little bit of first base this year and I’m not wanting to break the bank on a new one. I guess anywhere from a 12-12.5” glove would be fine. He’s a right handed thrower.

MBV77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2021, 04:13 PM   #32
BigLig
Six Point

Hunt In: Granger, Halletsville, Cohutta Wilderness Georgia, Laguna Atascosa

A transition year for me. I stepped away from managing in order to continue to develop and grow our program. Round Rock Baseball Academy. If anyone is looking for a 10U or 11U team this fall in the Round Rock area let me know, we're going to have tryouts in May.

Played last weekend in Dripping Springs, knocked some rust off, learned a lot, but ready to put some gas on the fire.

BigLig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2021, 07:09 PM   #33
jshouse
Pope & Young

Our 13s just jumped in a 14u tourney next weekend in Grapevine, it'll be fun to get some 60/90 in with this group.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #34
Crazzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Our 11u boys played a 12u tournament in ElCampo and did OK. We definitely had some rust but overall pleased with their performance. We lost our second game yesterday to a good 12 Sliders team, 6-1.
We probably wont play another tournament until middle of April.

Last edited by Crazzy; 03-15-2021 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Crazzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2021, 02:37 PM   #35
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

My 12u son will play in his second tournament of the spring this weekend. They went 2-2 in the first on and certainly have alot to work on! We'll be playing V Tool this weekend so I'm excited to see how the new pitching regs go! Have any of you guys played V Tool yet this year? I'm all for changing the culture and protecting arms!
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2021, 02:46 PM   #36
jshouse
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwill View Post
My 12u son will play in his second tournament of the spring this weekend. They went 2-2 in the first on and certainly have alot to work on! We'll be playing V Tool this weekend so I'm excited to see how the new pitching regs go! Have any of you guys played V Tool yet this year? I'm all for changing the culture and protecting arms!
we did last week and were missing arguably our 4 best arms. saturday was interesting, we had some dudes step up sunday though.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:37 AM   #37
Chad C
Pope & Young

We still have that CF ZEN Black hanging on the wall if anyone is interested.

$100 bill. Bat is like new.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:53 AM   #38
jshouse
Pope & Young

brock was "discharged" from arrosti yesterday, they said his shoulder was looking a lot better but made sure he knows he still needs to be stretching and rolling it daily to make sure the tendonitis doesnt come back.

he played 2nd at practice last night and threw hard for the first time a 3 weeks, said his arm felt great and wanted to pitch a bullpen but the coach and i both squashed that. we have gotten the football out a few times and threw in the backyard but only briefly.

he wont pitch this weekend for sure and we will play it by ear for the next tourney although the coach already said he doesnt want to rush it at all.

we have two boys now with what sounds like severs in their feet, all a part of growing up i suppose...
Old 03-22-2021, 11:22 AM   #39
jshouse
Pope & Young

the boys went 3-1 this weekend playing up with 14s on a 60/90 field. had a rough 2nd game saturday where pitchers couldnt find strikes early then when we found one that could, he got t'd off on lol.

we got dropped down to the 3rd bracket because of how many runs we gave up in that 2nd game, played good in game 3 and made it to game 4, the "championship." we were up the whole game and coughed up 2 runs in the last inning to go down by 1.

brock led off our last inning with a base hit and ended up coming around to score the tying run, then his best friend got a base hit with the bases loaded to win it. it was fun to watch them battle back. brocks bat is still quiet and he still didnt pitch but he played some great 2nd base and hopes to pitch a little this week to see how his arm feels.

and yes, we al realize we were not the "champions" and the boys were having fun with their "participation medals" they were calling them.

how bout these uni's....
Old 03-22-2021, 11:23 AM   #40
jshouse
Pope & Young

Pics

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2021, 11:42 AM   #41
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

We played at Rocker B, and went 4-1, losing the championship game. We could get nothing going offensively, and their entire lineup hit the ball, mostly where we weren’t.

Brady pitched good in our 2nd game on Sunday, giving up 2 runs, I believe, over 4 innings.

Rocker B Ranch is absolutely phenomenal! If you havnt played there yet, you owe it to your boys, and yourselves to do so. EVERYTHING is first class. They drag/rake/water/stripe the field...between EVERY game. All the fields and facilities are in fantastic shape. Can’t wait to go back.

Old 03-22-2021, 05:10 PM   #42
lexingtontexas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lexington

Quote:
We played at Rocker B, and went 4-1, losing the championship game. We could get nothing going offensively, and their entire lineup hit the ball, mostly where we weren’t.

Brady pitched good in our 2nd game on Sunday, giving up 2 runs, I believe, over 4 innings.

Rocker B Ranch is absolutely phenomenal! If you havnt played there yet, you owe it to your boys, and yourselves to do so. EVERYTHING is first class. They drag/rake/water/stripe the field...between EVERY game. All the fields and facilities are in fantastic shape. Can’t wait to go back.

We’re debating on a tournament at Rocker B soon. Is there cabins to rent out on the property or did you find hotels?

lexingtontexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2021, 05:30 PM   #43
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtontexas View Post
We’re debating on a tournament at Rocker B soon. Is there cabins to rent out on the property or did you find hotels?

We took our travel trailer and stayed 6 miles away at Rock Creek Camp, they have small cabins for rent as well. Rocker B has cabins for rent, but I understand they book far in advance. I’m sure there are many rentals around the lake, and VRBO and such.

Either way, if you can get to Rocker B...GO....whatever you have to do...GO. The kids LOVED it...bring their swim trunks.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:30 PM   #44
Chad C
Pope & Young

Congrats Snoop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-01-2021, 08:18 PM   #45
jshouse
Pope & Young

Welp, my youngest got talked into coming back to baseball, 11u Oilers-Hamblin/Hancock.

Does anyone happen to have an old Marucci Cat6, 30/20 laying around in good shape?
Old 04-06-2021, 12:50 PM   #46
BigLig
Six Point

Hunt In: Granger, Halletsville, Cohutta Wilderness Georgia, Laguna Atascosa

We're holding tryouts for 10U and 11U teams next month. If anyone in the Round Rock area is interested in playing come on out.

https://www.roundrockbaseballacademy.com/
BigLig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2021, 09:04 AM   #47
jshouse
Pope & Young

looks like both my boys will be in grapevine this weekend playing in the NCS tourney...11u-Hambliln and 13u-Nowell
Old 04-08-2021, 09:42 AM   #48
Mike
Ten Point

Dale, Just now saw this regarding Gulf Shores. Don't be concerned that you don't stack up to what shows up there. It is a massive pool of teams and the first 2-4 games are seeding pool play and then grouped into 4 divisions to better suit your team's skills and level of play.

We have been 3 times between two boys and it has always been fun, aside from rain outs and all dirt infields, lol. We had a salty team from two states and didn't make the top tier of 10 or so teams. We won the second grouping. It was a great trip each time.

Spend some time on VRBO and look around. There is plenty to do, just message me for other information. Just be advised that the field are 80% dirt, also, gate fee is expensive, like $40 per day per person and $125-150 for the week pass, be prepared for that sticker shock, lol. Bring a tent and weights to stake it down too, no shade at the complexes that we played.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 09:45 AM   #49
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Dale, Just now saw this regarding Gulf Shores. Don't be concerned that you don't stack up to what shows up there. It is a massive pool of teams and the first 2-4 games are seeding pool play and then grouped into 4 divisions to better suit your team's skills and level of play.

We have been 3 times between two boys and it has always been fun, aside from rain outs and all dirt infields, lol. We had a salty team from two states and didn't make the top tier of 10 or so teams. We won the second grouping. It was a great trip each time.

Spend some time on VRBO and look around. There is plenty to do, just message me for other information. Just be advised that the field are 80% dirt, also, gate fee is expensive, like $40 per day per person and $125-150 for the week pass, be prepared for that sticker shock, lol. Bring a tent and weights to stake it down too, no shade at the complexes that we played.
Quality info, thank you sir! The girls got some condos rented, not what we really wanted but I'm fine pretty much anywhere.

We are in Jacksboro this weekend looking for a gold ring after a couple silvers. Good luck to everyone taking the field this weekend.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:05 AM   #50
glen
Pope & Young

Enjoy guys. Now enough about you guys lets see some kids and action pics.