Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Man's Hole

Never heard of it before. Pretty cool.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5zNP52uFw4&t=195s"]Dead Man's Hole - Dozens of Bodies Dumped Down a 150' Hole During the Civil War - Marble Falls Texas - YouTube[/ame]

Never heard of it either. Where is it located I wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterB View Post
      Never heard of it either. Where is it located I wonder.
      I opened it in YouTube. The title says it’s in Marble Falls.

Comment

I kept waiting on someone to rappel down and show a bunch of bones. Kind of a letdown

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          I kept waiting on someone to rappel down and show a bunch of bones. Kind of a letdown
          Agreed!

Comment

You can't get down it no more. It's closed off. I first visited it because of geocaching and have checked it out a couple times. It's located on CR 401 North of HWY 71 just east of HWY 281

Dead Man’s Hole, as it would be baptized, was discovered in 1821 by Ferdinand Leuders, an entomologist observing nocturnal insects. He recorded his findings without taking much note of the geological phenomenon that would become a notorious burial ground following the Civil War where it would be used to dispose of the bodies of murdered and lynched men for ideological reasons.

located in southern Burnet County, Texas is believed to be caused when the rock below the land surface (limestone) was naturally dissolved by water and a buildup of natural gas pressure. As the rock dissolves, a space developed underground. These sinkholes can be dramatic, because the surface land usually stays intact until there is not enough support. Then, a sudden collapse of the land surface or pressurize gas eruption (blow out) can occur such as Dead Man’s Hole which is small compared to others, measuring around 7 feet in diameter at the surface, but has a cavernous depth of about 15 stories. The presence of gas however prevented extensive exploration, until the gas evidently dissipated over time. Then in 1951, a group of spelunkers from the University of Texas successfully descended the hole. They reported that Dead Man's Hole was seven feet in diameter at the surface and about 160 feet deep; at its base, the hole split into two "arms," one extending straight back for about fifteen feet, and the other sloping downward at a 45° angle for about thirty feet.

In 1997, Ona Lou Roper, owner of the property, donated 6.53 acres, which included Dead Man's Hole, to Burnet County. It was declared a Texas Historical Site the next year. Even though the opening is closed by a metal grate, the surrounding rock structure is worth checking out.

Comment

Just outside marble falls south of town. As mentioned was part of the old Roper ranch. Use to be a hang out back when in Highschool

Comment

I vote we all pitch in and dig it back out and rename it Politician's Hole...

Who's with me?

Comment

Pretty cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thought this was going to be about the fishing spot on the island.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                      I vote we all pitch in and dig it back out and rename it Politician's Hole...

Who's with me?
                      Im game. But... the hole is only 15 stories tall...kinda small for all that crap. Thats like stuffing 10 lbs of poo in a 5 lb sack.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                        Just outside marble falls south of town. As mentioned was part of the old Roper ranch. Use to be a hang out back when in Highschool
                        Thats cool. Honestly...did you ever wiz down the hole?

Comment

Working...
                        X