No announcement yet.

Best low fence ranches in South Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There some that don’t brag on share pictures to public in the golden triangle that would be on the short list. I’m not positing names but haven’t been mentioned above.

Comment

Webb09 hit a nail on the head with one, right as I posted.

Comment

Callaghan Ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by webb09 View Post
          I would say Briscoe, Galvan, Pilo, would all be in the mix. Chittum is great, but I don’t know if it’s actually low fence.
          arent them fightin words?

Comment

Originally posted by Headhunter View Post
            Callaghan Ranch.
            How big is the Callaghan? Good deer killed there?

Comment

Originally posted by webb09 View Post
              Couldn’t agree more Kyle. Cactus Jack is definitely not in this conversation.
              Do tell...I know they kill some monsters. I heard rumblings but don't know the specifics?

Comment

How big is the Callaghan? Good deer killed there?
                really depends on the pasture, for a ranch that size I'm not impressed by it. Their top 5 bucks each year should all break 180" but they dont. But it is neat to be on such large historic ranch that hasnt changed at all and see the lights of laredo......sadly they are getting closer

Comment

I'm probably the only one with this opinion, but I like to think our family ranch makes the list...

Mainly because we are a true low fence ranch. There is not one inch of high fence that touches our property. We kill several deer over 170" and our ranch record is 204". Some of the bucks get posted on here, but not all have. Obviously, there is a little humor behind me thinking we are top 5 in Texas... but its the only place I have access to, so its top 5 in my book! Lol

Comment

Fed or non-fed?

Fence doesn't mean anything. What you really want to know about is genetic potential right?

Otherwise.. if you are talking about potential to get old... you are asking about big vs small...

because a large ranch does the same thing with distance that a small ranch does with a fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                      Fed or non-fed?

Fence doesn't mean anything. What you really want to know about is genetic potential right?

Otherwise.. if you are talking about potential to get old... you are asking about big vs small...

because a large ranch does the same thing with distance that a small ranch does with a fence.
                      Let's go with fed.

Comment

Fed or non-fed?

That is a good point

Comment

Best low fence ranches in South Texas

Fed or non-fed?

the fence gives you confidence to let a 190” 5 year old walk 2 more years. That’s a deer that 99.99% of low fence hunters would shoot any day of the week.

Who cares about genetic potential to f promising bucks are killed at 4?

It almost always makes a difference. If it weren’t for high fence that locks in the SW portion of my lease from 6 neighboring properties, the quality of the deer on ThT side of the place would be marginal at best.

The way I read best is “results”.

That said, what’s better? The king that produces 4-5 190” plus deer a year off 500,000+ acres, or the galvan that produces a few 180” plus deer a year off 40,000 acres? [emoji2379]
                          Last edited by kyle1974; 04-29-2021, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Fed or non-fed?

I think that is a whole separate conversation. Because no matter the size, a high fence property will always be easier to control the population to the numbers you desire if you have the time and resources to do so. Thus, giving a better ability to control which animals get access to the supplemental feed. High or low fence, you will never be able to change the genetics of the property with a trigger finger. But, once you remove a mouth from a high fence property, that mouth is not replaced until at least the next dawn crop. A low fence property, that mouth can be replaced before the day is over.

I am by no means a high fence hater and have no problem whatsoever with a high fence with true native deer in it. Just pointing out that I do fer there are differences in high vs low fence no matter what the acreage is.

Comment

OP, sorry didn’t mean this to turn into a low vs. high thread. Soooo, back to the question at hand.

Comment

following...

Comment

Working...
                                X