• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
    Pm sent your way

Replied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Inspected my two new hives this weekend...they are doing great. Queens laying, bee numbers exploding, lots of foragers bringing in nectar and pollen. I did notice that a couple of bees were at entrance fanning their wings. Are they doing that to help cure the nectar/honey or is it getting too hot in the hive? When should I remove the entrance reducer and give them full access and air flow at the front of the box? (Just FYI - I have hoover hives with solid bottom boards)

Comment

Originally posted by jay07ag View Post
        Inspected my two new hives this weekend...they are doing great. Queens laying, bee numbers exploding, lots of foragers bringing in nectar and pollen. I did notice that a couple of bees were at entrance fanning their wings. Are they doing that to help cure the nectar/honey or is it getting too hot in the hive? When should I remove the entrance reducer and give them full access and air flow at the front of the box? (Just FYI - I have hoover hives with solid bottom boards)
        Fanning to keep the hive cool especially during high humidity. Probably see a lot of bearding here soon too. On my langs I've just kept entrance reducers on full time even for big strong hives. It may slow them up a bit during the peak flow but its a small price to pay to keep robbing, pests and other things at bay

Comment

We completed our first split a week ago and things look real good. It was a little scary the first time but I'm sure will be easier from here on out.

Comment

Shoutout to Sharkhunter for coming remove a swarm thats been on my tree since last Tuesday. Appreciate the help and hope they do you some good.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
              Fanning to keep the hive cool especially during high humidity. Probably see a lot of bearding here soon too. On my langs I've just kept entrance reducers on full time even for big strong hives. It may slow them up a bit during the peak flow but its a small price to pay to keep robbing, pests and other things at bay
              Thanks for the advice...sounds like the benefit of keeping the robbers at bay outweighs the negative affect of being a little hot in the hive.

Comment

Originally posted by jay07ag View Post
                Thanks for the advice...sounds like the benefit of keeping the robbers at bay outweighs the negative affect of being a little hot in the hive.
                They'll regulate temp just fine but make sure they have plenty of water close by. If you look at their entrances in the wild they're pretty tiny. I had larger circular entrances on my top bar and they propolised them down to just a few bees width

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                  Shoutout to Sharkhunter for coming remove a swarm thats been on my tree since last Tuesday. Appreciate the help and hope they do you some good.

Any more pics, or details? I don't know squat about bees, but I sure like reading this thread.

Comment

keeping bees is every bit as addictive as habitat work and planting trees

be forewarned

bill

Comment

Originally posted by TreeDaddy View Post
                      keeping bees is every bit as addictive as habitat work and planting trees

be forewarned

bill
                      I’m addicted to planting fruit trees. Every year I plant 15 to 20. That along with keeping bees keeps me pretty busy.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post

Glad I could help. Might want to keep an eye on that limb another swarm could very well call that home again. A good rain should wash some of her sent away though.

Comment

TBH Bee Keepers

My neighbor keeps bees on the back of our property. The folks across the street called yesterday and had a swarm in a crepe myrtle. We suited up, grabbed an extra hive and some pruners and headed over. Swarm was about the size of a football. He held the limb above and below the swarm as I cut it free. Got the swarm in the box with a few frames. Trimmed the limb up a little more, put the box on the ranger and off to the bee yard we went. He’s going to keep it closed up for a couple days and then go back right before dark and check it out and go from there. Never thought about taking pictures until we already had them in the box.

We did the same thing with a swarm he spotted on the way to work about a mile down the road last year. Swarm was 20’ from the road in a mesquite on a fence line. I don’t remember whether he re-queened it or not, but it’s turned into a real strong hive this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          Last edited by Roscoe; 04-26-2021, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Too small a swarm trap? I’ve got a couple drops of lemon grass oil at the entrance.

Comment

Captured a hive today. It was in a ground pot for light poles. I have pics if some one can post them for me. Bees are swarming like crazy here in SETx! I am officially out of Brood boxes.

Inspected a couple of hives, there was some crazy comb in that one!

One of my favorite threads.

Comment

nah, I think you are good Biggs. How far off the ground is it? Any old comb?

Comment

Working...
                                X