Long term food storage containers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are some of you using for air tight long term food storage containers?

A quick search I see 5 gallon buckets but at $25-30 each that seems a little much. Just seeing if there are alternatives that are just as good.

Need a few 2 gallon and 5 gallon buckets. My main food storage is sealed in cans. But will need some air tight containers for salt, spices, maybe extra beans, rice etc.

i see alot of people using Mylar bags.

Comment

Dang Bro, you going hermit on us?😂

Comment

There’s a lid for 5 gallon buckets with a screw top. Good for dry goods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mylar bags are used for long term food storage. We tell you how and why we use mylar bags in our prepper pantry. We also cover the different types of mylar ...

She also mentions getting buckets from Walmart bakery for 1$ in other videos

Comment

I’d use a vacuum sealer and the heat sealed bag. Probably put a paper towel over spices so it doesn’t risk being sucked into the unit’s pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CbfE6i6m2E"]STORING 180 POUNDS OF DRIED GOODS FOR LONG TERM EMERGENCY FOOD STORAGE; Vanilla Extract update. - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Go to Lowe’s and get em for 5-6 bucks each and law some plastic over bucket and lock down. I have several months of freeze dried food as well as heirloom seed bank. No telling how the freeze dried food taste though.

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                  Dang Bro, you going hermit on us?😂
                  Nah.. Just extending my prepping a little. Will only get harder and cost more to prep in the future.

Have to store enough gas to get down to the river house to fish each spring! That's next.

Comment

I use 5 gallon square plastic buckets with snap lids. You can buy them for 5-10$, or reuse tiddy cat litter buckets. Vacuum seal whatever you want...sugar, flour, beans, rice, any dry goods and put them in and snap the lid. They stack easily, as high as you want.

Comment

Vacuum pack and store in totes.

Comment

Go to Amish Store. Lots of options. I use mylar bags and a chambered sealer- then i put in 5 gallon buckets and seal.

Comment

Since 90% of my food is in #10 cans I'm planning to buy mylar bags to store extra salt, spices and maybe sugar. I'll put them in a 5 gallon bucket with lid but probably not the air tight lid since the mylar should seal them.

Comment

Mylar bags of rice, beans, powdered milk. Dehydrator/ deoxygenator inside. Inside of a metal trash can to ward off gnawing vermin...ie rodents. Someone a while back posted a similar thread and someone had a great tip about freezing before storing and sealing to kill adult insects and eggs before storing.

Rats can and will chew through any plastic container regardless of mil...in one night.

Comment

I dry can mine in 1 gallon mason jars .

Comment

Working...
                              X