No announcement yet.

Beware Costa sunglasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

man i don't get it. sunglasses have about $1 worth of material to them with the more expensive part being the polycarbonate acrylic lenses with a polarizing film. these are not cutting edge nor expensive (at the volume needed per lens). add labor, transportation, overhead, etc, i can see $20-$40 for a decent pair. I figure it's worth it to pay enough that you don't get glasses that are properly lensed so as to not mess with your vision, but that's not difficult given today's technology. So what's the extra $150 buying?

Comment

I usually buy me one pair a year. I think this year I'm going to Maui Jims myself. I had a pair a few years back I really liked, but lost somewhere in Galveston bay. lol Back 5-6 years ago Costa's warrenty policy was legit, and you could break them and get a new pair for $50 or whatever it was. Last pair I needed to send back they did me the same way they did you. Cheaper to buy a new pair than to have this pair replaced... I bought a new pair, but haven't gotten over it yet. Maui Jims will probably be my route this year.

Comment

Pelagic makes awesome glasses with an outstanding warranty and the glass lenses are made by Zeiss.

Comment

Can you get the "readers" in the glass maui Jims or Pelagic?

Comment

I didn’t think people still bought Costa. They have gone downhill and the quality is cheap since they sold out and are nowhere where they used to be. Smith and Maui Jim’s are a way better product. Costas are just a name now.

Comment

I had a similar experience last year. I warrantied a pair which they approved. Then I had 24 hours to agree to the replacement pair without knowing what it was and the replacement they offered me was a woman's brand. Then they wouldnt respond to my requests for a mens pair. I'll be ordering maui jims from now on.

Comment

I didn't know Costa sold out. Have they cut corners on manufacturing or is it just the warranty issues?

I've had Costa for the last 10 years and really like them. Never found Maui Jim's that I like the style of. Plus, according to sunglasses and scuba masks I have the head width of a man twice my weight, so the Costa XL frames fit well.
                Last edited by CEO; 03-29-2021, 10:31 AM.

Comment

$20 walmart sunglasses, less concern, less worries, no rants lol.

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
                    $20 walmart sunglasses, less concern, less worries, no rants lol.
                    But what about being in the cool kids club?

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                      I've been very happy with Maui Jim's since I jumped the Oakley ship.
                      This all I wear I haven't had any issues. Been wearing them for the last 5 years. The only problem I would say is that they don't have all the cool styles. But when you're as handsome as me well it doesn't really matter

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Crossfires(polarized) -buy them buy the case... Done.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                          I didn't know Costa sold out. Have they cut corners on manufacturing or is it just the warranty issues?

I've had Costa for the last 10 years and really like them. Never found Maui Jim's that I like the style of. Plus, according to sunglasses and scuba masks I have the head width of a man twice my weight, so the Costa XL frames fit well.
                          They simply don't cover accidental damage anymore.

People need to remember accidental damage was never covered under warranty, per the terms. Costa was just very good at covering it anyway, just like Leupold will sometimes cover accidental damage. Do I agree with the change? No. That said, I had two pairs replaced by Costa recently and I was able to pick the style, with no charge. They even upgraded my plastic lenses to glass, no charge.

The issue is they don't fix the glasses anymore last time I checked. They simply send out a new pair.

Comment

Originally posted by tex8569 View Post
                            I had a similar experience last year. I warrantied a pair which they approved. Then I had 24 hours to agree to the replacement pair without knowing what it was and the replacement they offered me was a woman's brand. Then they wouldnt respond to my requests for a mens pair. I'll be ordering maui jims from now on.
                            My experience was the opposite. Both pairs were replaced and I was able to pick any frame style, and lens color etc - depending on what was in stock in the warehouse for that day.

Comment

Electric, Kaenon, Roka and Maui Jim are where it's at for quality and good warranty work

Comment

Working...
                              X