Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post
    X2
    Another guy was sneaking around with a shotgun looking for hogs. I saw more illegal hunters than I did animals. .
    Something similar happened to me years ago at White Oak Creek WMA. A squirrel hunter walked up to me in the woods, looked down at my 270 and said “ya can’t hunt with that here.” I said, “sure can when the place is closed for a draw hunt.” He turned ghost white, completely disassembled his shotgun, and beelined for his truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethmac View Post
      Only takes one time to connect..Old Sabine has deer..just a challenge
      Shhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Comment

One of the best ways to get around in get in areas off the beaten path is to canoe down the river. But that only works if you can access by the HWY 69 Bridge.

Comment

1804 is the closest boat ramp on OSBWMA.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
            1804 is the closest boat ramp on OSBWMA.
            Just get there a few minutes early to move the washer, dryer, oven and 6 dead hogs out of the way... then your good to go!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              Just get there a few minutes early to move the washer, dryer, oven and 6 dead hogs out of the way... then your good to go!!!

That cracked me up. Its the sad truth though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I drew the rifle hunt last year. I regret applying for it, especially since they decided to surprise us all and "cube" the loyalty points this year. I blew 5 loyalty points, or 125 I should say.

I don't intend to sound condescending on the WMA, but it is bottom of the barrel of the Gun Deer Either Sex choices for WMAs, I've been to plenty WMAs and have a pretty impressive archery success rate of big bucks taken on draw hunts, some of which I do not reveal. OSB isn't one I'll return to, so the local guys that feel that they have a honey hole can rest easy. Low deer density, and abundance of hogs, not a place I want to spend time at during my busy hunting season.

I pre-scouted the place, used an UTV and walked it prior to the hunt. I read up on everything available on the web, studied satellite imagery, spoke with everyone I could including wardens and biologist. I put in plenty of time to make trip there successful and meaningful. Of all the hunters, only 1 deer was harvested. A woman hunting with me shot it(doe) at 70yds, across my lap sitting in a UTV watching a powerline right of way. I had plenty of opportunities to shoot hogs, and a couple deer (spike/doe). But, I wasnt there for me, I tagged out on 3 WT Buck 1 Mulie Buck with a bow. I was trying something new with hopes of her being successful. It worked.

The guys/biologist that ran the place were cool as heck, very accommodating. They even cooked all the hunters supper the first night, Johns Famous Carne Guisada. Made from an OSB hog. Very cool that they did that, all the hunters got to sit down and eat a meal together.

Comment

I’ll give this last bit of info on this property: if you listen to the Storm Water Creek podcast hosted by Abe Bullman on Spotify, they actually had the biologist from this area on multiple episodes, for two different years (2017&2018). I think Abe won a drawn hunt here as well. Couple quick stats from Chris Farrell (WildLife Biologist for Tawakoni and OSB) that stood out to me:

A total of about 3 deer come off the property every year. I think hunters have to report all kills. There may be a couple more that get killed, but not accounted for.
                  Deer density is 1 deer per 34 acres
                  Of the 3 or so deer taken avg yearly, they are more likely to be locals, than drawn hunt winners.

This sounds like depressing stats, but there is still potential. I got drawn this year for another GDE, but next year and every year after I would not apply to this place. It can be hunted without burning a draw and there are far better properties for deer density and big buck potential. Get to the pipeline if you can - if this place is flooded I wouldn’t mess with it.

Comment

Good to know this

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post

Ya, but you can put in at either bridge. They have been keeping it cleaner, only one water heater.

Comment

Dang ! That was fast for SandraW. Joined yesterday, banned today !

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                          Ya, but you can put in at either bridge. They have been keeping it cleaner, only one water heater.

Reckon the heating element is still good?

Comment

Hows the duck hunting in there?

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
                              Hows the duck hunting in there?
                              Activity should increase with this rain . .

Comment

I've never duck hunted it but I've only seen a very wood ducks there. Looks like great duck habitat though

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X