Do’s and Dont’s Texas State/San Marcos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I never left San Marcos after graduating from Southwest Texas State back in the day.
      Grins is one of our go to favorite restaurants. Chicken Fried Steak, burgers, etc...
      Like SmTx stated - Saltgrass moved. Nothing is in that building on the river right now.
      All river access has been closed in town - and I'm not happy about it! Love hitting the river for a cool down in the evenings at Rio Vista Falls (near the baseball fields along I-35).
      I'm with BoB and JHT with vote on Alvin Ords!
      Herbert's and Garcia's are both great for Mexican food.
      As for bad food... don't really recall any as they don't stay in business long.

Can't really call out any places to stay away from.
      Last edited by DRettele; 08-14-2020, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Mamacitas is a good mexican food spot..

Comment

I’d run down here on the way home
          Discover fresh meats, sausage, and produce at local grocer Granzin's Market with locations in New Braunfels, Seguin, and Pleasanton.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
            One of my really good buddies owns Jack's. They're closed down by the governor right now with all other bars.

Saltgrass isn't on the river anymore they built off 35.

Sewell park has been closed all summer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I didn't think of Jacks being closed. I loved that place in College.

Comment

Originally posted by DRettele View Post
              I never left San Marcos after graduating from Southwest Texas State back in the day.
              Grins is one of our go to favorite restaurants. Chicken Fried Steak, burgers, etc...
              Like SmTx stated - Saltgrass moved. Nothing is in that building on the river right now.
              All river access has been closed in town - and I'm not happy about it! Love hitting the river for a cool down in the evenings at Rio Vista Falls (near the baseball fields along I-35).
              I'm with BoB and JHT with vote on Alvin Ords!
              Herbert's and Garcia's are both great for Mexican food.
              As for bad food... don't really recall any as they don't stay in business long.

Can't really call out any places to stay away from.

Whats the local skinny on what happened to the demise of Aqurena Springs?

Sorry for the lil hijack OP.

Comment

Stay away from any place with .05 cent nite pitchers and $5 drink and drown !!! Oh wait that was during my time '87-'90

Comment

Hays Co BBQ is very good.

Comment

Hays co. BBQ is well worth the stop.

Comment

My son is a SR. there now, I think? The way him and his mama talk the may have several more years? But none the less he has been there for 3 years. He works at the Craft House on the square. As far as I can tell the square is where the party is and the Craft House is my kids groups favorite hangout even before he worked there. I think he got a job there so he could "hook up his friends". And he figured out a way to get paid for being there as he was there all the time anyway.

All BS aside he loves it there and makes good grades. That town and school sure knows how to party though. And agreed all college towns know how its done.

Comment

Check out some college girls... I mean, don’t get caught looking at college girls.

Comment

My son is a senior there. Lots of places closed down due COVID. you can still float the river, but takes two cars or an Uber and have to pay for river access in most places. Grin’s is very popular place. Lots of hiking in area, but gonna be real hot right now. If you head towards Dripping Springs, lots of craft breweries and wineries in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                            Alvin Ords Sandwich Shop by the campus. Schlotzkys like but better.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                            Saw George Straight playing for tips in Schlotzky's down there in '79. He was going to school there.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                              Whats the local skinny on what happened to the demise of Aqurena Springs?

Sorry for the lil hijack OP.
                              So a little speculation but I believe that Aquarena Springs was just going downhill and not making money. I hadn't been there in years.
                              The University has tons of money and has been buying up a lot of property in and around town for years. The University bought Aquarena Springs and the 9-hole golf course next door. The University shut down the touristy stuff at Aquarena Springs and is supposed to be using it as part of their university research and such.
                              They left the 9-hole golf course pretty much as is until it flooded really bad. All the golf carts were ruined and the pro shop was under water. I believe this was caused by the 2015 Memorial Day flood but I may be mixed up on when it happened. The University left the golf course closed down for quite a while and they are just now wrapping up a project of creating soccer fields on that property.

Comment

DO's- Gills broiler and Cheatam street warehouse. DONTS- drink and drive

Comment

Working...
                                X