Pellet grill wood choice ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright I broke down and bought a pellet grill . Wondering what pellets y’all prefer . So far I have only use a a treager Texas blend . Seems to burn good . Do y’all use the same pellets for different meat ? So far I have only done a brisket and a rack of ribs .

I pretty much just use B&B Championship blend. Every now and then I buy B&B mesquite or pecan. But mainly just use the Championship blend. I like it. Burns good, easy to get and affordable.

Comment

I’ve had great cooks with both the RECTEC and B&B completion blends on beef, pork and poultry. Straight Hickory is great for pork as well. I just picked up 80#’s of the B&B at Academy today for 30 bucks. Both are low ash and produce good heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Another vote for B&B Comp Blend

Comment

Any brands to stay away from ?

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
            Any brands to stay away from ?

Traeger law suit put me off them....

B&B and lumberjack have delivered best results. I’d only buy either or.

Grab a smoke tube as well. Game changer

Comment

Originally posted by TexanDuke View Post
              Traeger law suit put me off them....

B&B and lumberjack have delivered best results. I’d only buy either or.

Grab a smoke tube as well. Game changer

Just add the smoker tube in the bottom ?

Comment

I've had good luck with B&B, HEB store brand, and just tried some Kingsford that seems ok. I can't tell much difference in the type of wood but always stick to a good hardwood like pecan, hickory, or oak. I'll still try apple and cherry but at the end of the cook can't tell a lot of difference. Not a fan of mesquite but I do like it if cooking on an open grill.

Comment

Apple

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                    Just add the smoker tube in the bottom ?

Fill it with pellets and light one end and place on left side of the rack. Oh, lumberjack competition blend for me.

Comment

I’ve been using Lumberjack. Mostly competition blend, Pecan and Cherry and I like the results. I don’t see the need to buy anything else so I haven’t.

Comment

I use the B&B brand. Pick it up here at my local H-E-B.
                        Depending on what I’m cooking/smoking determines what wood I use

Beef, (brisket, burgers, steaks,etc) venison, fish, veggies.... they get a post oak and Apple blend

Poultry, pork, wild fowl like ducks, geese, dove. Or when I’m smoking any jerky slow and very low....I use a hickory/ cherry blend

ANY ribs I’m smoking gets a Mesquite/peach blend

This thread reminds me..... I need to visit aisle 15 at my H-E-B because this is all I have left right now

Comment

I haven't had much luck with any pellets I have used . Not sure if its the brand or what ? I use the Hickory and no flavor at all . Cooks great and has smoke ring but no smoke flavor at all . What is the smoke tube ??

Comment

Do the pellets for these grills contain more than wood for the ingredients? I've been looking at the pit boss at Walmart....the smaller one...just to have one to use for meal prepping and stuff like that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
                              Do the pellets for these grills contain more than wood for the ingredients? I've been looking at the pit boss at Walmart....the smaller one...just to have one to use for meal prepping and stuff like that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Some are nothing more than compressed sawdust, fillers and binding agents. I tried Pit Boss pellets when I first got mine and they had almost no smoke or flavor.

Since going to Lumberjack and B&B I’ve been very pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X