Fishing on the coast? Looking for suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing on the coast? Looking for suggestions

I want to take my boys fishing on the coast next week. I was thinking Port A but honestly don't have any idea. I basically just want my boys to catch some fish and not spend just a ton of money. I want to bring my own rods buy some bait and just take my boys some where and have some fun. Kind of a impromptu trip.

Im also open to doing a bay fishing trip but don't know any guides down there or anything. I remember when I was kid going out on a large boat in the bay with like 30 or so other people and catching quite a few fish. It was a lot of fun would like to show my kids the same.

Anyways open to any suggestions. Thanks

Re Coast fishing?

The fishing down here lately has been hot.
    my luck has not, But there are catching.

I recommend you just use shrimp under a popping cork from a pier for the kids. or you can try fishbites.

There is another site called corpus.fishing.com that has lots of info and sometimes reports of what is working at area piers. or bays.

the island queen is a old ferry that takes you out on a few hour trip. there are also lots of quides on that site.
    I treat my kids to two days on the water with a guide each year, and we pay bout 650.00 for the day. but we bring home limits of fish, and memories. I am blessed to be able to do that, and I am happy that my family supports my fishing habit.
    Drop me a pm if you need more info. Whatever you do, please ENSURE you lock up your gear each day , and or put it in your hotel room, or wherever you stay for the night. Lots of things go missing at nite down here along the coast. from the parking lots.
    have Fun, Build memories. good luck

Comment

No help on the DIY, but if you decide to do a guided trip check out Avian skies, Capt Will Granberry. He is out of Edna. Super good dude and absolutely obsessed with finding quality game on the to coast be that waterfowl in the fall or specks and reds in the spring and summer

Comment

Last week we fished the surf in port A at the beach access where the flashing light entrance is by the sub division. We had a ton of luck catching whitting at high tide using fresh dead shrimp on the bottom. My boys had a blast catching them.
        Last edited by Beargrizzly90; 07-24-2017, 10:17 AM. Reason: Added timeframe

Comment

If I was you I would rent some kayaks and go to the subdivisions on the bay and fish in there lights with top water and glo in the dark flukes. Besides that I would just fish points and grass during the day with live shrimp

Comment

Do need any special gear other than the stuff I already use for bass?

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
              No help on the DIY, but if you decide to do a guided trip check out Avian skies, Capt Will Granberry. He is out of Edna. Super good dude and absolutely obsessed with finding quality game on the to coast be that waterfowl in the fall or specks and reds in the spring and summer
              Yep. Will is a good guy.

Comment

We just got back from Port A. We did very well along the bay shore line between Aransas pass and the ferry landing. There is a bait shop on the west side of the road just out of the pass. Get some live shrimp and run them under a popping cork or just free swim them with just a hook. We caught a good number of reds and specs. The kids had a blast. My gear consisted of light weight tackle that I bass fish with 12# mono. I threy a bait caster and the kids used everything from spinning reels to zebcos. Enjoy!

Comment

Jetties are hot right know every think from kings to mangroves being caught

Comment

So any insight on how to rig up my poles? Bait? Do I fish from shore? Wade fish?

My kids are 9 and 12.

Comment

Originally posted by RedTx View Post
                      So any insight on how to rig up my poles? Bait? Do I fish from shore? Wade fish?

My kids are 9 and 12.
                      Have done this quite a few times now. My son wanted to go saltwater fishing for the first time on his birthday last year and I hadn't gone since before he was born. This is what I did/do:

Drive to Freeport, TX. We often stay a night in one of the hotels in lake Jackson for $100.

Pickup a spincast rod/real from Walmart/Academy with 12-15# test for like $17-$30 bucks. Your bass rods will work, but I like to have separate saltwater rigs. Since I don't go often, I don't invest a lot into it.

I have not had a lot of luck with corks, so I typically fish off the bottom. I pickup a couple packages of 3/4 oz weighted drop rigs. They come 2 in a pack for like $2-$3 and I pickup at least 4 packs or so. You can find these down here more abundantly than the further north you go. You can buy a couple weighted cork rigs too pre-made. I'll use em if I start to snag a lot.

On the drive out to the Surfside Jetty, stop by a bait shot and pickup some fresh dead shrimp. Usually about $5 a pound. I pickup about 2-4 pounds.

Go out to the jetty and fish. There are some inland waters you can fish too.

Bring plenty of sunscreen. If you have a cart, bring it so you can cart your poles and cooler down the jetty to where you want to fish.

We usually will catch some croaker (which are tasty) and whiting (also tasty but need to cook that day.) These two fish are like the blue gills of the ocean. You can eat them.

you may hookup with lots of other fish like gaf, redfish, sea trout, rockfish, drum, etc.

I have my best success fishing off the bottom... but it can be rocky and you can get snagged. I like to cast to a spot... and if I don't set the hook, I do a rod tip high, fast retrieve all the way back up to the jetty so I don't drop my hook down into some rocks. I get less snags that way because most of the rock is close to the jetty itself.

On hook size.. go with a size 1 or 2 hook at first... people tend to go with large hooks, when the smaller sizes will let you catch some of those "trash fish" that kids and guys like me like to catch.

Comment

Good advice already, Any of your bass fishing rods/reels will work if your kids can cast them. If they fish ponds or lakes already you know their skill level. Shrimp under a popping cork is always productive. If you use braid on your reels let me suggest putting a fluorocarbon leader on as braid doesn't do well with some popping corks, it slides through and won't hold a specific depth. If that makes sense. Or you can use soft plastics and a 1/8 oz jig heads, or top waters like spook jars. Depending on the winds next week, as mentioned, the surf at port Aransas has been on fire for trout all the way to Corpus Christi. Feel free to pm me. I live in corpus and fish the surf and surrounding areas and can give you some more info. Have fun

Comment

Working...
                        X